Lomadelray

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Alaska
Proud to say Lomadelray Jr. just shot his first moose at age 15, in interior Alaska.

The hunt was self guided, and he was the third generation of this family to take a moose out of this valley.

Moose was about a 40 incher with nice symmetry.

This Moose had disproportionately large front quarters compared to any other moose I have shot or seen shot for it's age. Each front quarter weighed about 150lbs.

The gun was a marlin XL7 chambered in 30-06 with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 variable scope.

The bullet was a 150gr Barnes TTSX, that had 100% weight retention after a 300yd shot that went thru both shoulders and stopped just under the hide on the far side.

The moose was moving right to left at a trot, having been pushed out of a thicket by a larger bull.

Shot on day 6 of a planned ten day hunt after 4 days of constant rain and one deep freeze.

Jake.jpg

Bullet.jpg

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0102.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats one his first moose! Looks like he did a fine job all the way from the shot, gutting, skinning, quartering and packing. You've obviously taught him well.

Hey!!!!! Awesome. That's sooooo cool and congrats to Jr and Dad for raising him right!

Love the hood ornament!

Congrats to you and your son!

Congratulations on a cornerstone moment for both Father and Son,
and thanks for bringing this to us in a hunt report.

There are a lot of very impressive elements of this story.
Father & Son time hunting, in the bush, learning bush-craft and the ways of the hunter. Harvesting game and providing sustenance for many meals over the Winter Months. Butchering and processing game and salvaging meat in order to respect the game animal and to have not wasted.

You are rearing a fine young Man there and you are doing it in a respectful and rewarding manner which will benefit him in his older years.
Many growing children miss this experience these days and are none the wiser.
Your's will know better.

Congratulations again to both of you.

Very nice, congrats! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Congrats to the young hunter and his family! Three generations taking moose out of the area is impressive!

Congrats to your son! Great bullet performance!!

Congratulations - and tell him that's a great shot to have executed. I really like the multi-generation in the valley. Those connections cannot be duplicated in any manner and make the experience extra special.

Congrats to your son! Great bullet performance!!

It was great bullet performance! It was our first time hunting with the TTSX, and I have to say I am very impressed. We switched from Remington Core Lokts after we had two bullets come completely apart on Sitka blacktail deer in Kodiak last year.

Moose hunting is all fun right up until the Moose goes down.
Then it is all work.

Congratulations on a successful hunt and thanks for sharing it with us.

awesome job dad and that is so nice to hear about it being the 3rd moose in your family being hunted there. I hope he gets to pass that on to his kids one day.

Moose hunting is all fun right up until the Moose goes down.
Then it is all work.

Congratulations on a successful hunt and thanks for sharing it with us.

So true, took us 4 1/2 hours to skin, butcher, and pack it out. We got the machines within about 150yds of where he was down, so it could've been worse.
Then we cut, ground, and packaged moose for three days straight. My arms, neck, and shoulders were feeling it for sure.

Congrats on the moose! I like the combo 06 with 150 gr TTSX. I am planning on using the same for a moose hunt next month.

Congrats! That's a great story and fantastic photos. (y) It seems like yesterday that I shot my first moose when I was 17....30 years ago! My Dad was with me for that as well. I just wish we had better cameras back then...long after the hunt is over the pictures become more precious!

Congrats on a great first moose. Nice to as close as what you were able to.... Lots of weight to a moose. Takes a bit of doing to take care of one. Great to help your son earn one of them. Well done. Bruce

What a great adventure, the meat looks delicious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg