AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Part of the game I guess. Wont deter me but I am not happy about it. I guess an airline this is not profitable is going to try anything to increase revenue.

IA diver

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA-EC, NC, NWP; Spain
My vote is still for Emirates traveling out of ORD...2 checked bag allowance even in economy, good layover facilities in Dubai, and easy to file on-line weapons declaration form to be completed 30 days before travel with an email approval confirmation for your records. Makes for a no hassle experience at check-in.

Timbo

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BGRC PFRC & SSAA
Hunted
Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa
I purchased my tickets three weeks ago. Just another way to take advantage of us hunters!
Not just us hunters are charged, but shooters of all the various competition disciplines as well.

Hunting Sailor

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAHGCA
Hunted
South Africa, Sweden, Austria
I dropped off two hunters today at PLZ for an SAA flight to JNB and they were asked when they had purchased their tickets. All well at the end, but it seems to be in force.

For the domestic parts it is easy to set the rules when you’re the only carrier that allow the firearms onboard.

Spooksar

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
Wow I’m sitting in Frankfurt on the way to Johannesburg glad I bough my tickets in February. Yes Africa is starting to get out of hand with these extra fees

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Thanks Lori! I guess things will change even more by next year when I take the granddaughter to RSA and Namibia. No one wants to make it easy on travelers.

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Update from South African Air: they will now charge a firearm handling fee at check-in PER SAA FLIGHT for tickets purchased after May 15, 2019.

Within South Africa USD 30
Within Africa USD 60
International USD 100

See the full details on their website https://www.flysaa.com/…/ba…/checked-baggage/special-baggage
Is this per rifle/gun or per case? My last trip I took 2 rifles and a shotgun all in one case.

And in one place it says you can take 5 kilos of ammo per rifle, but lower down it sounds like per passenger. I'm guessing it is per passenger and if not, the people on the ground would find a problem with more ammo even if it says per rifle in their rules.

Hunter101

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF,MDF
Hunted
Nambia, South africa, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Pennsylvania, British Columbia, KY,IL, Oklahoma
SAA left my bow case twice in dulles. will not fly with them again

Last edited:

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Is this per rifle/gun or per case? My last trip I took 2 rifles and a shotgun all in one case.

And in one place it says you can take 5 kilos of ammo per rifle, but lower down it sounds like per passenger. I'm guessing it is per passenger and if not, the people on the ground would find a problem with more ammo even if it says per rifle in their rules.

IATA agreement is 5KG per passenger.

The day they start charging for the detailed contents of a bag we are in real trouble.

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
Wow I’m sitting in Frankfurt on the way to Johannesburg glad I bough my tickets in February. Yes Africa is starting to get out of hand with these extra fees
I think SAA is just catching up to what many airlines have been doing for a long time, including many North American airlines. And as for fees, have you stepped into a bank recently? We can blame Africa for many things, but they didn't invent "extra fees"!

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
Lufthansa got me for my bow and every triathelete's bike for around the same coming back last year in Cape Town.

Sika98k

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
Wild Deer Association of Ireland
Hunted
Kenya,Namibia, Croatia, Morocco Ireland,Scotland,Denmark, Romania, Sweden,Norway,Latvia,Germany,Hungary,
I have used Ethiopian Airlines the last two trips to Namibia. Apart from an apparently pointless check of our firearms in baggage transfer in the bowels of Addis Ababa airport it was all ok.
Their pricing is very attractive also. The food in cattle class was mundane.

RBurg44

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I prefer the nonstop flight just get me there and back as quick as possible! Suck they charging more. Does that mean its $100 for me to fly from jfk then Its only $60 to fly back from Namibia?

Dennis L

Reaction score
Hunted
USA, Namibia, RSA
There are messages on this website that the new charges are per segment. True/False, confusing nonetheless.

SAA leaving Washington Dulles generally makes a one hour stop somewhere in Africa (I've stopped at 2 different locations) to refuel and take on passengers before proceeding to JoBurg.

Could the new fees be $100 to the refuel stop and another $100 to JoBurg and another $60 if taking another flight internally, like Namibia?

Or could the new fees be $100 to the refuel stop, $60 to JoBurg and another $60 if taking another internal flight?

Or simply $100 from origin to final destination?

Or $100 to JoBurg and another $60 for an internal flight?

TRAVEL EXPRESS

Sponsor
Since 2010
AH elite
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.travelexpressagency.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Tanzania, New Zealand, Argentina and throughout North America
There are messages on this website that the new charges are per segment. True/False, confusing nonetheless.

SAA leaving Washington Dulles generally makes a one hour stop somewhere in Africa (I've stopped at 2 different locations) to refuel and take on passengers before proceeding to JoBurg.

Could the new fees be $100 to the refuel stop and another $100 to JoBurg and another $60 if taking another flight internally, like Namibia?

Or could the new fees be $100 to the refuel stop, $60 to JoBurg and another $60 if taking another internal flight?

Or simply $100 from origin to final destination?

Or $100 to JoBurg and another $60 for an internal flight?

Hi Dennis, the way I understand, it's $100 for the international flight (no extra for refuel stop) and then $30 for flights within South Africa and $60 for regional flights (Zimbabwe, Namibia, etc.) and this is per direction of travel. I'm not sure we have had anyone subjected to these fees yet as tickets were all purchased before May 15th when this went into effect. Hope this helps!

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
Paying the $100 for your own rifle is still a lot cheaper than renting one over there at whatever per day and you have one that is familiar. I'll take my own.

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
I do prefer using my own, but sadly it's getting to be a lot cheaper and easier to rent. This fee is $100, each way. Now add a rifle permit cost (?), And extra baggage fees ($100-200+ each way) for your rifle. On the low end that's over $400+. It's adding up.
Paying the $100 for your own rifle is still a lot cheaper than renting one over there at whatever per day and you have one that is familiar. I'll take my own.

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Time to look for alternative airlines it seems.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Time to look for alternative airlines it seems.

Yep, QATAR is just a little more flying time but less than half the price of Delta and SAA. If you're renting a rifle, there are even more alternatives for less money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briangog

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.