Update from South African Air NEW FEES

Part of the game I guess. Wont deter me but I am not happy about it. I guess an airline this is not profitable is going to try anything to increase revenue.

My vote is still for Emirates traveling out of ORD...2 checked bag allowance even in economy, good layover facilities in Dubai, and easy to file on-line weapons declaration form to be completed 30 days before travel with an email approval confirmation for your records. Makes for a no hassle experience at check-in.

I purchased my tickets three weeks ago. Just another way to take advantage of us hunters!
Not just us hunters are charged, but shooters of all the various competition disciplines as well.

I dropped off two hunters today at PLZ for an SAA flight to JNB and they were asked when they had purchased their tickets. All well at the end, but it seems to be in force.

For the domestic parts it is easy to set the rules when you’re the only carrier that allow the firearms onboard.

Wow I’m sitting in Frankfurt on the way to Johannesburg glad I bough my tickets in February. Yes Africa is starting to get out of hand with these extra fees

Thanks Lori! I guess things will change even more by next year when I take the granddaughter to RSA and Namibia. No one wants to make it easy on travelers.

Update from South African Air: they will now charge a firearm handling fee at check-in PER SAA FLIGHT for tickets purchased after May 15, 2019.

Within South Africa USD 30
Within Africa USD 60
International USD 100

See the full details on their website https://www.flysaa.com/…/ba…/checked-baggage/special-baggage
Is this per rifle/gun or per case? My last trip I took 2 rifles and a shotgun all in one case.

And in one place it says you can take 5 kilos of ammo per rifle, but lower down it sounds like per passenger. I'm guessing it is per passenger and if not, the people on the ground would find a problem with more ammo even if it says per rifle in their rules.

SAA left my bow case twice in dulles. will not fly with them again

Last edited:
Is this per rifle/gun or per case? My last trip I took 2 rifles and a shotgun all in one case.

And in one place it says you can take 5 kilos of ammo per rifle, but lower down it sounds like per passenger. I'm guessing it is per passenger and if not, the people on the ground would find a problem with more ammo even if it says per rifle in their rules.

IATA agreement is 5KG per passenger.

The day they start charging for the detailed contents of a bag we are in real trouble.

Wow I’m sitting in Frankfurt on the way to Johannesburg glad I bough my tickets in February. Yes Africa is starting to get out of hand with these extra fees
I think SAA is just catching up to what many airlines have been doing for a long time, including many North American airlines. And as for fees, have you stepped into a bank recently? We can blame Africa for many things, but they didn't invent "extra fees"!

Lufthansa got me for my bow and every triathelete's bike for around the same coming back last year in Cape Town.

I have used Ethiopian Airlines the last two trips to Namibia. Apart from an apparently pointless check of our firearms in baggage transfer in the bowels of Addis Ababa airport it was all ok.
Their pricing is very attractive also. The food in cattle class was mundane.

I prefer the nonstop flight just get me there and back as quick as possible! Suck they charging more. Does that mean its $100 for me to fly from jfk then Its only $60 to fly back from Namibia?

There are messages on this website that the new charges are per segment. True/False, confusing nonetheless.

SAA leaving Washington Dulles generally makes a one hour stop somewhere in Africa (I've stopped at 2 different locations) to refuel and take on passengers before proceeding to JoBurg.

Could the new fees be $100 to the refuel stop and another $100 to JoBurg and another $60 if taking another flight internally, like Namibia?

Or could the new fees be $100 to the refuel stop, $60 to JoBurg and another $60 if taking another internal flight?

Or simply $100 from origin to final destination?

Or $100 to JoBurg and another $60 for an internal flight?

There are messages on this website that the new charges are per segment. True/False, confusing nonetheless.

SAA leaving Washington Dulles generally makes a one hour stop somewhere in Africa (I've stopped at 2 different locations) to refuel and take on passengers before proceeding to JoBurg.

Could the new fees be $100 to the refuel stop and another $100 to JoBurg and another $60 if taking another flight internally, like Namibia?

Or could the new fees be $100 to the refuel stop, $60 to JoBurg and another $60 if taking another internal flight?

Or simply $100 from origin to final destination?

Or $100 to JoBurg and another $60 for an internal flight?

Hi Dennis, the way I understand, it's $100 for the international flight (no extra for refuel stop) and then $30 for flights within South Africa and $60 for regional flights (Zimbabwe, Namibia, etc.) and this is per direction of travel. I'm not sure we have had anyone subjected to these fees yet as tickets were all purchased before May 15th when this went into effect. Hope this helps!

Paying the $100 for your own rifle is still a lot cheaper than renting one over there at whatever per day and you have one that is familiar. I'll take my own.

I do prefer using my own, but sadly it's getting to be a lot cheaper and easier to rent. This fee is $100, each way. Now add a rifle permit cost (?), And extra baggage fees ($100-200+ each way) for your rifle. On the low end that's over $400+. It's adding up.
Paying the $100 for your own rifle is still a lot cheaper than renting one over there at whatever per day and you have one that is familiar. I'll take my own.

Time to look for alternative airlines it seems.

Time to look for alternative airlines it seems.

Yep, QATAR is just a little more flying time but less than half the price of Delta and SAA. If you're renting a rifle, there are even more alternatives for less money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg