Tracking Bull Eland

Borderer

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Does anyone have any recommendations on a free range (or large sustainable fenced) eland tracking hunt?

I imagine that Namibia is probably the easiest and most cost effective location and I am very happy with a basic tent and basic food.

I have discussed this with a PH, unfortunately he can only do spot and stalk in his area as he does not have a tracker, but he said he would allow at least 10 days.

I would be looking at going in October or November and in 2025 at the earliest.

Just daydreaming at the moment!

@Borderer I have just the place for a hunt like this in Zimbabwe!

Feel free to get in touch with me either by DM, WhatsApp +27 84 469 6897 or email info@mattanjasafaris.co.za

There is some large properties in the North of Limpopo in the Mopane it makes for exiting hunting on foot and tracking. I would go September October when most leave are down and water is concentrated. Its not a guarantee but big bulls will be around you will need some luck on your side.

PICT0049.jpg

Day 5 tracking only and probarbly close to 100km we connected with this bull.
Stange thing is I could see his horns and the huge dewlap and body size but he had no mop of hair on his face. But him being so large dark and good set of horns I let the client shoot the bull without seeing his face.

This was November just after a bit of rain and the Mopane started to green again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done a tracking hunt in Botswana. There are a number of good operators there. The one I know and can recommend is Werner Lombard. He manages Bokamoso Safaris.

@Borderer I think you are asking the right question, for sure. I did a tracking hunt for eland in Namibia and it was exciting and challenging. And it cost about 5% of what a LDE would cost. .....good luck......FWB

IMG_4998.jpg

Does anyone have any recommendations on a free range (or large sustainable fenced) eland tracking hunt?

I imagine that Namibia is probably the easiest and most cost effective location and I am very happy with a basic tent and basic food.

I have discussed this with a PH, unfortunately he can only do spot and stalk in his area as he does not have a tracker, but he said he would allow at least 10 days.

I would be looking at going in October or November and in 2025 at the earliest.

Just daydreaming at the moment!
@Red Leg I remember really enjoyed his Eland hunt. I would reach out to him

Hello Borderer
We can also accommodate you on a tracking eland hunt.
We have several herds some of them only bulls in the herd.
I counted 23 bulls together the other day.
We have the trackers and the Kalahari sand to make tracking easier.
You have to be reasonably fit to cover at least 10 miles every day.

See attached some eland we harvested in the past.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Sassan Eland.JPG
Pepe Eland.jpg
Kessler Eland.jpg
Guy Eland.jpg
Eland Terry Behtje.jpg
Dario Eland.JPG
CHR_0806.JPG
Argentina Eland.JPG

@Frederik Ya, my bull stacks up favorably with most other Cape Eland, but I wish it had that big ruff of hair on the forehead. Maybe he wore it out on the 16 km track.............FWB

@Frederik Ya, my bull stacks up favorably with most other Cape Eland, but I wish it had that big ruff of hair on the forehead. Maybe he wore it out on the 16 km track.............FWB

hahaha, One day hopefully not too far from now I will be able to get on the tracks of a big eland bull myself in the mopane bush with my 458 Lott. I am going to be picky and mke sure the bull is going to have a ruff of hair.
Considering doing on it on a 5-7 day hunt late in the year end of September onwards.

argentina-eland-jpg.592469

Wow @DE KLERK SAFARIS , some fine eland is that from your other laaaaarge property I have not been on yet?

Hello Borderer,

When you have a spare moment, have a look into the Khomas Safars web site.

No pressure whatsoever, just a friendly invite.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

IMG_9329.png
IMG_9328.png
IMG_9330.png
IMG_9331.png
IMG_9332.png
IMG_9333.png
IMG_9327.png

Hello Frederik
All these spectacular eland were hunted on our eastern property where you hunted your lioness.
We were fortunate to buy out our neighbour who retired due to age and health reasons and are in the process of adding another 4 ranches to our game reserve.
You have to come and hunt with us again.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Hello Frederik
All these spectacular eland were hunted on our eastern property where you hunted your lioness.
We were fortunate to buy out our neighbour who retired due to age and health reasons and are in the process of adding another 4 ranches to our game reserve.
You have to come and hunt with us again.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk
I am planning to for sure just need to make time and some money but I'm working on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesDet

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.