Tipping Guide

Discussion in 'Safari Planning Guide' started by AfricaHunting.com, Dec 1, 2008.

1. curtism1234

curtism1234 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
    There is a monumental difference between jobs in which people get paid in full by their employer to do a job (ie fast food worker) and a job in which tips are customary because real wage is so low (ie a sit down restaurant server).

As it pertains to restaurants, I always start with a 20% tip (25% or more at a fancy restaurant or or super cheap place) and adjust up or down based on service.

Tour guides, PH/staff are part of the tipping culture imo. When factoring in budget, I will always pre-estimate tips. Doesn't mean I will hand out all that money. On the other hand, I could hand out more.

If nothing else, these are people who are in charge of your safety and overall experience thousands of miles away from home. If tipping helps ensure your safe and enjoyable travels, it's money well spent; it's insurance. Obviously there is room for complacency, but that is where doing your research comes in to find a well oiled operation in the first place.

2. Chago

Chago AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I really don't care to jump into the argument. But I'll add my two cents. I have only hunted in Africa once, but have hunted throughout the us, Canada and Europe. Every single guide I have sat with has talked to me about you cheap skates. And I promise you they are taking better care of me then they are you. Every guide who has ever guided me has invited me back with discounts, special preferred treatment, honey holes he hasn't hunted in a while, prefered dates etc. They text me regualarily. I am very kind to them, and I tip them well. And of course if they are miserable guides, I don't. That's truly the end of the argument. The old saying, you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. If your satisfied with the status quo, then just pay that. If you want above, pay for it. As every single one of you has negotiated in your own salaries. In this scenario the employee works harder for a tip and not a salary raise. You all worked harder to get a raise. Or to show value. I'm in the sales world, sales reps work harder to make more money. But again in this case the sale is a tip for busting my ass for you.

And the Dean2..... Give your heads a shake honestly. Some of the comments coming from you are ridiculous. I've seen guys like you in camp many times. Your the very guys the guide talks to me about after. And it's not due to how much money you left behind. It's just that overall attitude.

To the guys who feel you need to meet a certain number. Absolutely not. You even saying you tip what you can afford is enough to show the kinda person you are. And that will show in your hunt and your folks will take great care of you. This is not a competition.

And to the euros who tipping isn't a custom. I can appreciate that. And I don't blame you for this being awkward. But let me be blunt. If your waking into a country spending 5 figures to shoot animals, your doing ok in life. You can afford to give a tip to some trackers who worked there asses off for you all week. Carried your rifles, carried your dead game, spotted the game, sized it so you would be satisfied, layed behind the game in the dirt holding it so you have a perfect photo.... Need I go on. Not to mention this man is probably poorer then the poorest in your home country.

What the hell are we talking about here.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Henke oe, Dewald, RBurg44 and 6 others like this.

3. edward

edward AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
    not my problem,we didnt create the money probs in 3rd world countries.we pay the price charged.tips are still biased on performance,not your concept that we should give because you feel sorry for the worlds poor.im not rich,worked hard and earned every dime i have,not giving away money out of feeling sorry for people who do their job.they have pride and earn what they get paid.they are not looking for hand outs.

4. Chago

Chago AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    At which point did I say to give hand outs? My opening statement was tip when deserved. And don't if not. All I did say was to those who tipping is not a custom at all. That you can afford to tip someone who worked there ass off for you. Especially when such a small amount is appreciated.

Read the entire post. Don't just repeat the same comment over and over to every single person who opposes you in anyway. Your above post seems like it's been copy and pasted throughout this thread. We get it you didn't create the problems in Africa. You only said it multiple times.

Red Leg likes this.

5. edward

edward AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    i read the entire post,have been 5 times and my response to your post remains the same!!!you had your say,i had mine.two different views.dont waste my time or yours with any further whining.case closed as far as im concerned.

Bushpig4Ever, Von S. and laststand like this.

6. curtism1234

curtism1234 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
    :A Popcorn:

Steel Candy and Von S. like this.

7. Chago

Chago AH Veteran

Video/Photo:

Oh so your a Liberal I get it. You accuse me of something that is completely false. Then when I call you out on it you return with the standard it's my view or my opinion card. No worries. The rest of us know what that really means. Enjoy your night. Feel the Bern Eddy.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019

8. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    After reading a lot of these pages, I have more of an appreciation for PHs and the job they do.

Samb, Steel Candy, Dewald and 2 others like this.

9. edward

edward AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    fire proof chagoie!!!!!

10. Michael Dean

Michael Dean AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Edward don't waste your time defending yourself. Chago is a self centered egotist who loves to hear himself speak and believes that he is the epitome of what the perfect hunter is. If you'd believe this ass's commentary, he's adored by every PH and outfitter internationally. In his first post he stated that he didn't want to start an argument then proceeded to attack several members knowing responses were inivitably coming. He's a self impressed egotist who couldn't engage in an intelligent argument. The guy's a self ingratiated fool. I myself would not stoop so low as to respond to him.

11. Areaonereal

Areaonereal AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Please...will this ever end. Tip what you want...go home look forward to you trophies and enjoy you life.

12. Bwana Bob

Bwana Bob AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Well stated. Stop the pissing contest. It's getting old

sierraone, Steel Candy, jeff and 2 others like this.

13. edward

edward AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    had my say,made my point,over and done.

meigsbucks likes this.

14. Chago

Chago AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. Thank you.

15. Beck

Beck New Member

Well said Jerome. I have only been on two African Safaris, so I can't say I am any kind of expert, but I was with a good outfitter both times. Trusting my outfitter, I brought him a list of the tips I intended to make, and asked for suggestions. He didn't increase the total drastically (if at all), but he redistribute the money a little bit. He also informed me that he thought the tip was both generous, and appropriate. In my opinion, this experience, as well as many others, outline the importance of a good outfitter/PH.

16. SSGBIV

SSGBIV AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA, Zimbabwe, Washington, Idaho, Texas, Hawaii
    Well said and agree Whole-Heartedly.

17. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    On my last hunt I had a assistant to the driver start hinting about tipping on our drive from the airport to the lodge. He made sure the driver didn't hear.

18. Michael Dean

Michael Dean AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I would have advised the driver of the conversation and told him that you didn't appreciate being husselled, especially when you haven't even made it to the lodge yet. What outfitter was it?

jeff likes this.

19. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    The outfitter was very good and the next day they told him to take a week off so he wasn't there to get any tip!

BnC 04 likes this.

20. khharris

khharris AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI, NRA, CCA, Quail Coalition
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zim, South Africa
    For a 14 day TZ DG safari what are the percentages/daily tipping amounts for the camp staff would you look at? I just want to make sure we are in line. Thx!