Tipping Guide

Discussion in 'Safari Planning Guide' started by AfricaHunting.com, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Paul Homsy

Paul Homsy AH Veteran

It isn't too bad if it is his tip suggestion for all his hunts...I've given several hundreds on fruitless but enjoyable guided elk hunts where I didn't fire a single shot, we're all different...The guides work hard. In my view, it isn't really too much but like most I don't care to be told what to give. $100.00 a day may sound more reasonable but then how much money is the outfitter making with gas, food lodging, guides, trackers...There is no profitability that I can see on this particular hunt. Just my opinion, I'm not trying to force my views nor do I think they're better than yours or anyone else's.

Bob Nelson 35Whelen likes this.

2. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    I have started to call the manager of a restaurant over if they tack on a mandatory tip in the final bill. I'll let him know that because of these practices that I will no longer frequent his restaurant. In some cases they have removed the automatic gratuity others stick to what their policy is and let me walk out. I would do the same with a outfitter. It is one thing for them to say that a XX% gratuity is appreciated but it is another where they say that you are going to pay XX% to the help

3. Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Bob Nelson 35Whelen AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    African hunting.
    To simplify things the person that booked our trip told us what to pay in tips up front. It was X amount per hunter for the PH and X amount per hunter for staff. This was given to the PH/ owner to distribute. Made life simple as we were able to budget for it in our trip.
    This was possible because person that booked our trip had hunted there 5 or 6 times already and knew what was expected.
    Just my thoughts
    Cheers mate Bob

4. RANCE SAFARIS

RANCE SAFARIS SPONSOR Since 2019 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania
    Yes it really happens

IMG_7388.JPG

Bob Nelson 35Whelen and Brent C like this.

5. Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Bob Nelson 35Whelen AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    Andreus
    You fellas work bloody hard giving us a good hunt the skinners and trackers work as well as kitchen and cleaning staff.
    You all deserve to be rewarded for all that work , without it we wouldn't have the great time we have.
    The money you get is stuff all as a wage when you take into account the work BEFORE, during AND AFTER the clients leave. Do they think the skins and trophies walk to the taxidermist.
    Thanks to all that go into making all safaris a good time for us hunters and families.
    Bob Nelson
    I'm a man of humble means but luckily tips were factored into our trip so no surprise. Maybe you could add the cost of tips to the price so people don't complain.

Laeveld likes this.

6. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    If your cost of the hunt was 3K then I would pay 10-15% of that amount assuming service was commensurate. I guarantee you he is not expecting a 30-40 % tip for such packages regardless what his general guidance might be - not that he would turn it down. ;)

Von S. likes this.

7. CesarSandoval

CesarSandoval New Member

Que interesante estas guías, muchas gracias por darnos estos datos.

8. Bosoxaddict1915

Bosoxaddict1915 New Member

Hey Everyone! First post and have my first trip coming up, doing a South Africa plains game hunt with a friend in 57 days! So excited. Looking for a little advice. I read most of this thread but admittedly not all of it. My apologies if it was already addressed!

My friend and I are going on a voucher that was donated to the Safari Club Auction (we are in the US). It covers everything, 2 animals, day rates, etc. Also gives credit towards flight and taxidermy to be discounted on other animals, I am getting 2 more he is getting 1. We are younger and it is our first trip, neither of us would be able to afford this if we didn't get the donated voucher for pennies on the dollar of value at the Auction. So we are also keeping it relatively affordable animal wise also (I am adding 2 affordable ones, he is adding 1). I figured out what the rate would likely cost with the day rates, animal fees they charge etc.

Being a 2 x 1 hunt, does that effect how you tip? I assume we are going to pool our tips together and contribute equally. What is customary? Would we each tip less that combined would be "normal"? Is the total hunt % per person or total if we did it that way? Looking at it as a total is really low, but per person seems like it gets it in the right ballpark. (Value is around 4400-4800/person). Any guidance or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

9. Tbitty

Tbitty AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA
    Welcome to the AH forums!

It is my opinion that you should at least plan to tip based on the "retail" value of the hunt, not what you paid. I found it helpful for myself to ask the outfitter how many staff members would be in camp, and what their recommendations were for tips. Based on my actual experience and the effort I saw put forth, I tipped a little more than the suggested amounts, which I felt very fair. As has been mentioned many times in this thread, tips have become expected in this industry but are certainly not mandatory. If you aren't happy, let your PH know and see if he can make it live up to expectations.

I know I didn't help much, because I didn't give you actual $ or %, but I hope my advice works for you.

Good luck on your hunt, take lots of pictures, and have fun!

10. jeff

jeff AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    Beware of the retail value posted, it's often inflated considerably.

ack and Bob Nelson 35Whelen like this.

11. Mike P

Mike P New Member

Thank you very much for this article. This is always been a difficult thing for me. And some camps is easier if it not very large but I’ve been in some that have a large staff and it seemed they all wanted a tip. The amount of tip I do not think should be based on the amount that you spent on Safari but I appreciate the guidelines you gave.
    On most safaris I’ve been on the staff did not want tips to come through the pH as I think there was some trust issues. I’ve seen it both ways though. Always seems to be some jealousy issues as well when when tracker gets more than a game scout. I feel like they’re living on what I tip and not through their wages which makes it difficult for me.
    Thanks again for the article.

Tbitty and Bob Nelson 35Whelen like this.

12. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    There is no way to "win" at this game, so my best advice is to go with what you feel comfortable with and don't look back.

I've had people appear grateful for a tip, and the exact opposite. In a camp in Ethiopia, I asked the PH for guidelines for the staff. He gave it to me, and I handed out the recommended amount to each person in turn. I could tell that one "security guard" didn't seem happy with the tip. A few minutes later I heard a commotion in another part of the camp. The security guard was so angry with his tip that he began to make a scene - I could hear the yelling, involving the guard, the Ethiopian PH and a few others. I was getting a bit of a translation which stopped when the security guard apparently threatened to turn his gun on those of us in camp!

At that point we got in the truck and headed out, leaving the locals to sort it out.

All you can do is try.

ack and Bob Nelson 35Whelen like this.

13. Scott CWO

Scott CWO AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
    I don't like the method of giving the tips to the operator or PH to be distributed. Who knows what happens from there? In my operation here in the USA, I tell the hunters to tip their guides, wranglers and cooks directly.

When I am a client/hunter, I consult with the operator before the trip and I bring a stack of envelopes with me. I then see how the workers perform and make some adjustments accordingly. I then hand out envelopes to each worker. I have been on trips where some trackers were better at staying alert and spotting game than others that doze off or take so many smoking breaks that they aren't paying attention as often and I tip accordingly. Why should I tip them the same? I feel it is my responsibility to tip, not the PH. I also bring 20s, 50s and 100s for dollar bills because it can be hard for workers to break a 100 dollar bill in rural communities in Africa.

I also always have a quick conversation with the PH before the hunting gets underway so we can get on the same page. I like to hunt hard and right up until dark. Turning the Cruiser back towards camp or hiking back to the road an hour before dark (primetime for some species) doesn't fly with me when I am spending $750 to $1500 per day for daily rates. Same goes for driving too fast through good country, which makes it hard to spot game and tracks.

14. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Namibia
    On both my safaris, I discussed tips with the PH.
    I took small envelopes, placed the appropriate amount in each and wrote their names on the envelopes. Then before departure, took a group picture and then presented each one with their envelope, shook their hand (this was before social distancing) and thanked them.

15. Mark Biggerstaff

Mark Biggerstaff SILVER SUPPORTER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    On both of my safaris I consulted with Ph, also owner, as to appropriate amounts for staff and skinners. I took thank you cards and envelopes and wrote a note to them. On day of departure I shook each one hand and gave them envelope along with a bag of candies I had left. This was also the preferred way the owner wanted it done.

16. AES

AES AH Veteran

This horse has been beaten to death but I do have a simple question . . . is tipping the "recommended amount" on an outfitters website ever considered to be insufficient? I only ask because I see suggested daily tip rates (in $ for PH and Staff) on websites that, in aggregate, are small percentage of the potential cost of the hunt.

For example, if the cost of a 7 day hunt is $35k but the suggested tip amount is $100/day for PH + $100/day for camp staff, does $1400 in total tip not seem a bit light @ 4.0% ?

Bob Nelson 35Whelen likes this.

17. curtism1234

curtism1234 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
    It's a very loaded question. Is the owner trying to ensure the ph doesn't clear more money than his own business? Does the owner base pay his staff higher than others? Does uber deluxe accommodation have anything to do with the ph - in other words average accommodation at a much lower price point gets the ph the same tip but measured at 8%.

I like to base tip solely on what the staff did for me

18. AES

AES AH Veteran

By way of eliminating variables, let's assume the PH is the owner.

19. curtism1234

curtism1234 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
    In that case, I (and many others) would top less than you normally would if they were an employee. He is already making profit (theoretically) off of you so there is not a professional reason to double dip. A small tip is still important because he should be keeping his business income separate from his personal income.