Tipping Guide

Discussion in 'Safari Planning Guide' started by AfricaHunting.com, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Blue Moon

Blue Moon AH Senior Member

I don't know about the US, but I assume that the reason tipping of significant sums still exists in many places is that it keeps the prices down for the consumer. VAT and income tax (given the fact that the net salary should stay the same) would increase the consumer price.

Catahoula likes this.

2. gordon kings langley

gordon kings langley AH Senior Member

Hunted:
    South Africa, Nambiba
    I accept all the above. However remember tipping is for exceptional customer service only.
    The question i would ask is:
    Are the stall being paid a living wage.

GuttormG likes this.

3. Rimbaud

Rimbaud AH Member

Hunted:
    England, Hungary, United States, Scotland
    Dear all - when you tip the PH, do you tip off daily rate, daily rate + trophies, or something different? Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

4. Michael Dean

Michael Dean AH Enthusiast

I tip off of the cost of the hunt, the daily rate plus trophy fees. I essentially back out the cost of flights and base my tip on the balance. My trip this year is a management hunt, I'll be shooting culls so the total cost of the trip is less than half of a trophy hunt. Because the cost is so low I'll tip my PH 10% of the cost of the hunt. It will only amount to $350-$400. The skinner and the tracker will each get $50 Rand a day which amounts to six dollars and change a day.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    gesch and Rimbaud like this.

5. Michael Dean

Unfortunately this is not correct. Tipping is the norm; if the service is average the tip is average, even if the service is poor some form of tip is left. We realize that this is a substantial part of their income and we act accordingly.

barbells.and.arrows likes this.

6. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I won't reward poor service with a tip!

JDMonson, echosue, GuttormG and 3 others like this.

7. edward

edward GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
    i believe tipping has become mandatory,some outfitters even tell you how much they expect.they might just as well add it to the cost of the safari and be done with it.then they can dish it out to the help.the original concept of tips was to reward some one who you thought preformed above and beyond.in the 40 years i worked for one employer i never received a tip.if i didnt like the wage,take a hike.i suppose if a 1000.00 was like 10.00 to me i could be more comfortable spending that kind of money on tips,but i and my wife worked our ass off for what we have and i wont give it away because the wealthy find it the right thing to do.the money we spend on hunts is the same as anyboby else spends,what ever it cost,but,it didnt come easy.guess thats why we have only had 5 safaris and im still driving my 92 nissan truck.the nice thing is ill run out of time before i run out of money.

8. Cam Moon

Cam Moon AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    I think the general consensus is that everybody knows that a tip is pretty much a given. When you are budgeting for your trip also have the tip included in your budget. If the outfitters started including the cost of the tip in the price, I think you'd find the overall cost would rise significantly due to taxes etc. And in the unlikely event you found yourself receiving service well below your expectations, I would recommend not tipping and telling them why.

echosue, barbells.and.arrows and jeff like this.

9. echosue

echosue AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa. Oregon, Idaho and Montana USA
    As someone who has spent more than 18 years in a service oriented job (waitress/bartender) I know that tipping is a very necessary part of any service oriented position including hunting lodges and professional hunters. I believe that it is really important however to tip in a way that promotes excellent service and that means that you tip according to the work that was done, the manner in which the work was done and the final satisfaction with all aspects of the situation. As a waitress I did not have any control over things like how long a customer waited to be seated, how well they liked what they ordered or things like that. What I DID have control over was how I treated the people around me to help me take the best care of my customers that I was able to do. Tipping was a big part of that process. If a hostess worked hard to make sure that my tables got seated quickly and were given menus etc quickly, it reflected well on me and I tipped that hostess well at the end of the night as a result. If I made sure that the order was correct, that all their items appeared nice on the plate and that they in turn were happy with the order by checking with them after they began eating then I myself reflected well to them. A smile, friendly face, go to attitude etc made for good tips.

My point being particularly that tipping should not be done just to tip for a tips sake! A tip is an acknowledgement of a job well done and therefore should reflect the level of satisfaction as stated by the original post! To tip for poor service simply rewards bad work ethic, poor planning, and frankly leads to further problems down the road. If a waitress does a poor job it is a routine to give a token tip with a note or an explanation verbally to that person as to why the tip was not better. This promotes learning and everyone wins.

I don't believe I know everything about hunting etiquette and that includes tipping but I think the points stated are valid and for myself weigh strongly in any situation where I need to or am required to tip. Do a good job with a great attitude and my tip will be generous!

Red Leg, Spooksar, IdaRam and 7 others like this.

10. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    Right on, Sue. If a tip is a requirement, then that means it is part of the hunt costs. And it better be listed up front. In fact, things included and not included are listed as part of the "deals and offers" on my favorite website.........FWB

jeff, Von S. and echosue like this.

11. Bushpig4Ever

Bushpig4Ever AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Custodians
    Hunted:
    Germany, Slovenia, Sardinia, England, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
    BS

flatwater bill likes this.

12. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
    I was reading recently, some of Craig Bodingtons articles on internet, and advises on safari including tipping.
    He mentioned tipping in the level of something like: 5% of total day rate.

What do you guys think of this? Reasonable?

13. echosue

echosue AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    It seems to me that basing the tip on the day rate is encouraging expensive day rates without providing anything more than their normal service. Again please reflect on the fact that tipping in my opinion should be based on service and whether or not it is poor, good, or exceptional.

14. Hoas

Hoas AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    This is what Craig Boddington wrote:

"Tips to the camp staff--cook, tracker, skinner, etc.--are essential but not costly in our currency. For a week's hunt, a couple hundred bucks should suffice... A tip to the PH is good manners of course; figure a minimum of 5 percent of the total daily rate paid."

15. Michael Dean

Nice intelligent response!

16. Riksa

Riksa AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Finland, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Poland, Sweden
    I have always considered the tipping a difficult subject. Being a Finn, we don't tip people here. Only in extremely special occasions do we tip (in Finland). So all the help to understand the norm in tipping is helpful. After reading this thread through and being in Africa a couple of times, I'm still confused.

For my coming hunt (14 days DG in Zimbabwe) I asked recommended tip from the outfitter. The reply was that 1000 USD diveded for both the hunting team and camp staff will be sufficient. The amount is actually way less than has been the norm in the discussion here (5-10% of the total cost for daily rates+trophy fees). I don't know if the difference is coming from me being European (it seems like the majority of the outfitter's clients are from Germany) or "tip" partially covered by daily rate. Anyway, in my case it was a very good idea to ask this from the outfitter in advance. So that's what I would recommend also other people to do.

17. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I've had day fees as low as $100 a day and as high as $400, the PH at the the $400 place didn't work any harder than the $100 place so I will not tip them differently! Tip on the effort they put in for you! Don't pay their wages, give them a tip for their hard work.

flatwater bill and echosue like this.

18. Bushpig4Ever

Bushpig4Ever AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Custodians
    Hunted:
    Germany, Slovenia, Sardinia, England, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
    A proper response in my eyes. As a client, what do I have to to with the employees of a hunting outfitter/ph? If he pays them poorly why must I support them? If you have too much money hand it out to everyone, but don’t expect other hunters to do the same. And rewarding poor service with a tip, that I call ... as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2019
    GuttormG, Von S. and edward like this.

19. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    I don't know - maybe for putting up with you?

20. echosue

echosue AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    I am sorry, but might I point out that snide remarks accomplish nothing! Respectful comments are appreciated by all however. But perhaps you are simply attempting to be funny and it fell flat? Hard to tell.

TXhunter65 likes this.