Thoughts on Craig Boddington?

@Tokoloshe Safaris
You forgot:
Muzzle brakes
Politics (read left wing)
Long range hunting
Well done meat
And wearing nylons or no nylons for DG.
(This last one might just be an amalgamation of the “On a Lighter Note” thread)
NYLONS!

I always enjoy watching how passionate people get over a few names.

1. .458 Winchester
2. Mark Sullivan
3. Art Alpins
4. R8 Blaser
5. Courtney Boots
6. Peter Capstick has now been replaced with Craig Boddington

Everyone is welcome to add to this list.

Lon
Art Alpins and I are planning a Safari with Mark Sullivan and Craig Boddington. We will both be using Blaser R8 rifles in 458 Win Mag. I plan to wear my Courtneys, and bring along a couple of Capstick books for entertainment around camp. Did that cover all the bases? Hahaha!

Last edited:
Art Alpins and I are planning a Safari with Mark Sullivan and Craig Boddington. We will both be using Blaser R8 rifles in 458 Win Mag. I plan to wear my Courtneys, and bring along a couple of Capstick books for entertainment around camp. Did that cover all the bases? Hahaha!
Hi Toby,

Thank you, My wife stopped washing her 2007 Polaris Ranger and came in the house to see why I was laughing so hard (you know how women are they just cannot stand to see a man enjoy himself that is why they close their eyes). Seriously I needed that laugh today!

Seriously every one of those names (except maybe one) have contributed to our great love "hunting Africa!

Hi Toby,

Thank you, My wife stopped washing her 2007 Polaris Ranger and came in the house to see why I was laughing so hard (you know how women are they just cannot stand to see a man enjoy himself that is why they close their eyes). Seriously I needed that laugh today!

Seriously every one of those names (except maybe one) have contributed to our great love "hunting Africa!
Glad to be of assistance! Now go tell her to mind her business and get back to washing that Ranger!!! Hahaha!

Will you eat eggs on your safari and do you need some recipes?

You´ll be hunting white lions of course :ROFLMAO:

And to him it was money. You'll only push for your way so much when someone's pushing a paycheck at you.
I'm that kind of stupid where my name means something. LAW safety, NECG sights, a nice bluing job, adjustable trigger set at 2#, figured walnut stock just doesn't seem too much to ask if you're going to pay north of $2k.

I think both these threads have given people ample opportunity to have had their say....me I think the message was put over in adequate amounts....and I must say I much preferred it when we changed it to eggs....as I think that showed point made enough is enough....so as they are both on the internet for ...who knows when it will be taken down these days....posterity... how about either moving on ...or sticking to eggs....because it really has become one of the monotonous boring threads on here....:E Shrug::D Beers:

I have know Craig for some time and he is a close personal friend. We are about the same age and fondness of good hunting rifles. My wife is very found of him as well. Craig is a national treasure and most of us could only hope to half the man he is. While no one is perfect, he ranks very high. In addition to his assume career as a writer and Marine officer who served our country on foreign battel fields. He is a very kind, thoughtful and generous man. If he doesn't have any thing good to say about a person, he won't say anything at all. The same goes for products he writes about.

The greatest men to ever walk the earth were imperfect and had vocal detractors.

We all need grace.

Obvious exception to the rule above is He who was the result of the "hypostatic union". He had detractors, for sure! But not the imperfections.

I’ve noticed that he seems to have a very laid back personality or maybe he just doesn’t like talking to people. I’ll admit, when I first came across CB’s videos on the web his calmness and seeming lack of enthusiasm put me off. Most of my friends would wet themselves of excitement if they got to experience a buffalo hunt. However, that’s really the only bad thing I have to say about him.
His calm demeanor is exactly what I like about him. He has been on at least one, but likely several deployments in his career. There isn't any room for exaggeration or excitement in combat. You have to be direct and cool headed. He has hunted the most dangerous game-man. Comparatively, the buffalo hunting I'm sure is fun, but it can't out-think him, and can't hurt him unless it physically touches him.

I have a couple of friends that write on the outdoors and guns. They are 'normal' human beings and generally engaging and enjoyable to be with. That said, there is some pain involved with taking money (making a living) for doing something that you love. The first price is a choice between career and independence... it is simply not possible to have both. The second price is spoiling/corrupting your love for the thing in question. I think CB is successful because he manages to satisfy most of the people (his coscience, editors, publishers, sponsors and public) most of the time. Might be a tough road to walk.

I do not know CB, never meet or talked with him. I followed hims when he was a young man writing for Peterson's Hunting and since. Never thought that he was a literary sylist, but he delivered the goods. I own several of his books and think that his information is solid. I know no reason to criticize him. He did what many of us would liked to have done, but we didn't.

Last edited:
I would add to the above that anyone who thinks writing about guns and hunting for a living is easy has never tried it. I dabbled in it for about 5 years doing the gun article thing for mostly Gun World, and Small Arms Review and besides the low pay and picky editors, its a bit of a PITA.
Not to mention you spend a lot of your own shooting time, shooting someone elses guns! When I butted heads with the new editor at Gun World over an assignment that the bean counters didnt want to print after it was accepted, I blew my stack and pretty much ended any future sales of work.
In the end I dont miss it.
That CB has been as successful as he is, is testament to his work ethic.

I would add to the above that anyone who thinks writing about guns and hunting for a living is easy has never tried it. I dabbled in it for about 5 years doing the gun article thing for mostly Gun World, and Small Arms Review and besides the low pay and picky editors, its a bit of a PITA.
Not to mention you spend a lot of your own shooting time, shooting someone elses guns! When I butted heads with the new editor at Gun World over an assignment that the bean counters didnt want to print after it was accepted, I blew my stack and pretty much ended any future sales of work.
In the end I dont miss it.
That CB has been as successful as he is, is testament to his work ethic.
If being a successful writer was easy...everyone would do it.

@sestoppelman - at least you took a shot and tried, even if it didn't agree with you.

@sestoppelman - at least you took a shot and tried, even if it didn't agree with you.
Selfish me....I am glad it didn't agree with him.

If it had, he probably wouldn't hang out here with us goobers!

If more editors had "agreed" with me I might have lasted longer! :rolleyes: I think I had just over 30 articles published all told in 4 or 5 different rags.
It was fun for a while, but the low pay and dealing with editors takes a lot of fun out of it.

If more editors had "agreed" with me I might have lasted longer! :rolleyes: I think I had just over 30 articles published all told in 4 or 5 different rags.
It was fun for a while, but the low pay and dealing with editors takes a lot of fun out of it.

In other words, we pay just as well, and we are more fun! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaLondo

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!