WilhelmM

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA
What is this site’s general opinion on Craig Boddington? I ask this as I’ve rarely seen him being talked out and when he is talked about, people have an oddly negative opinion of him. I’m not sure why, exactly. He doesn’t seem to be very smug (unlike a certain Mark Sullivan) and vast majority of his hunts, at least from what I’ve seen, are fair chase and ethical for the most part. Feel free to give your honest opinion.

The one time I met and spoke with Craig at DSC last year, he was a complete gentleman and very nice to us.
I've also spoken with Mark Sullivan many times on the phone, and he is very nice as well. When he's talking man to man on the phone he is extremely personable and full of information. Also very funny.
Just my experience anyway....

What is this site’s general opinion on Craig Boddington? I ask this as I’ve rarely seen him being talked out and when he is talked about, people have an oddly negative opinion of him. I’m not sure why, exactly. He doesn’t seem to be very smug (unlike a certain Mark Sullivan) and vast majority of his hunts, at least from what I’ve seen, are fair chase and ethical for the most part. Feel free to give your honest opinion.

What is your interest in CB? Do a little more research.

I have never met him but I respect the good Colonel who has served this country so well. I also respect his opinions when it comes to hunting.

Like anything else, those who are unhappy about whatever topics being discussed tend to be more vocal....

I have interacted with him several times, he was very friendly to me. That's a pretty small sample size, we are talking less than 10 minutes total, but he seemed like a decent guy.

I’ve visited with him a number times over the years. I’ve found him very approachable and knowledgeable. He has freely offered solid advice. Others may differ, but I would go out of my way to buy the man a drink.

This is his research ... why so cryptic?
I think he’s hinting there is some interesting information out there contrary to his image.

Complete respect and admiration from me. I bought, read and enjoyed his two books Buffalo 1&2

My opinions of him are mixed. As a hunter and writer, I’ve gleaned a lot of great info from him. This comes from the Tracks Across Africa TV show as well his videos and books. Unfortunately I didn’t find this site until after my first safari. Thus, probably 70%+ of the info I had for preparing for and booking my first safari came from those sources.
My only interactions with him were at two SCI shows, so due to the circumstances are probably not truly indicative, but when I approached him to to say Hi and thank him for the info, he basically said Hi and walked away. Considering nobody else was there either time, I was a little miffed.

I think he’s hinting there is some interesting information out there contrary to his image.
I’m on page 2 of the thread so far and the accusations (I emphasize accusations as they’re not honest questions) are rather ugly, to be honest. I’ve never met Boddington, bought any of his products or followed him for a considerably long time, but people seem to have an agenda in mind when criticizing him which I find to be perplexing. Maybe he’s deserving of it, who knows, but I’m seriously unimpressed by a lot of the comments made on the thread.

My opinions of him are mixed. As a hunter and writer, I’ve gleaned a lot of great info from him. This comes from the Tracks Across Africa TV show as well his videos and books. Unfortunately I didn’t find this site until after my first safari. Thus, probably 70%+ of the info I had for preparing for and booking my first safari came from those sources.
My only interactions with him were at two SCI shows, so due to the circumstances are probably not truly indicative, but when I approached him to to say Hi and thank him for the info, he basically said Hi and walked away. Considering nobody else was there either time, I was a little miffed.
I’ve noticed that he seems to have a very laid back personality or maybe he just doesn’t like talking to people. I’ll admit, when I first came across CB’s videos on the web his calmness and seeming lack of enthusiasm put me off. Most of my friends would wet themselves of excitement if they got to experience a buffalo hunt. However, that’s really the only bad thing I have to say about him.

B
What is your interest in CB? Do a little more research.
Brickburn, to answer your question the only real interest I have in CB is that he’s a useful source of information outside of AH. Your comment came off as oddly stand-off-ish but I’ll leave it at that.

I’m on page 2 of the thread so far and the accusations (I emphasize accusations as they’re not honest questions) are rather ugly, to be honest. I’ve never met Boddington, bought any of his products or followed him for a considerably long time, but people seem to have an agenda in mind when criticizing him which I find to be perplexing. Maybe he’s deserving of it, who knows, but I’m seriously unimpressed by a lot of the comments made on the thread.
There is a lot of useless opinions for sure, but bottom of page 22 has some interesting facts about his bankruptcy filing.

I really like reading his articles, but promoting Hornady bullets for dangerous game on TV as well as his regularly changing list of recommended outfitters on his website really bothers me. I suppose all outdoor personalities promote their sponsors though.

There is a lot of useless opinions for sure, but bottom of page 22 has some interesting facts about his bankruptcy filing.

I really like reading his articles, but promoting Hornady bullets for dangerous game on TV as well as his regularly changing list of recommended outfitters on his website really bothers me. I suppose all outdoor personalities promote their sponsors though.
I agree, him changing his endorsed outfitters list is a bit strange and kinda sad. One example comes to mind when he harvested a monster of an elephant bull in Botswana a few years back. The outfitter was Johan Calitz Safaris which is one of the largest and most respected outfitters on the continent. I plan on going on an elephant safari with him once I’ve saved up enough. However, for some reason CB doesn’t put Johan Calitz on his endorsed outfitters list, this is odd considering he put him on a monster elephant and was extremely respectful throughout the hunt.

One consideration I have not seen above - the guy is a life-long jarhead - I imagine he doesn't suffer fools well - not being ugly to you lads, but a warrior works on different wavelengths than civilians do - fixed on a mission/sense of task to accomplish/move out smartly and get your mission accomplished - I have had the same issue with civilians - many cannot handle the intensity/focus. Perhaps he was on a mission when you came to chat him up?

I met him when he and Art Alphin were finishing the A-Square reloading manual. Just a drive-by intro as I was cracking the whip on the ammo production line.

He came to the KC SCI show and did book signings several years ago. Seemed to remember me at least a little, or was at least polite enough to act like it. We got on pretty well as we could discuss the Korean War I was covering in high school history at the time.

Another aspect no one has recognized - the guy was breveted to one star - and even as an O-6 - you are in the playing field of everyone that comes to see you wants something. Add in being a TV "Star" and I could imagine he is sick to death of us excited knuckleheads tackling him to get a rub-off of his magic/famous hunting dust on us.

Summary - I have no negative to share about him, have had two fleeting positive meetings and hope you all will cut him some slack. He has done a metric boatload of good ambassadorship for the hunting world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeCast

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg