Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
We all love our rifles and guns, but what other posessions do you have that make your heart happy?
i have two, the first is my Series 1 Land Rover that we take on hunts and I drive every day.
the other is boats, fishing boats for Lake Kariba tiger fishing mostly. The flagship is a 22ft Interceptor hull with a Yamaha 250 SHO 4 stroke on the back, quite fast. My daughter drives this one, she has her skippers license and can handle it better than I. The second is a 19ft Falcon with a Yamaha 115 4 stroke. My brother and I use this one. Number three is a Samurai, also 19ft with an old dog Evinrude 150 on the back.
Why so many boats? Because I always fish in s group with family and friends and a dozen people on one boat is a bit much, especially when hooks start flying around!
93293191-C679-4970-8B16-CDA72772D275.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great question! As I was thinking about it, my traps came to mind. I never was able to trap hard-core, and honestly haven't at all in a few years and don't know when or if I'll get the chance again. But I truly loved walking the woods, really looking at sign, topography, probable travel lines etc. I used to tell people, when I rifle hunt, I'm trying to get within 200yds of my target, when I bowhunt, Im g etting within 40yards of my target species, but when I trap, I'm betting I can tell what square inch a coyote is going to place his right front paw. It is one of those activities I truly love doing, even without the comraderie of others.

This may sound strange but I love my land/property. There’s something rewarding and worthwhile taking a piece of ground and making into something special. We’ve had this for 5 years and we’ve built a road system, two ponds and cleared 4 large fields for deer, turkey and dove. We trap raccoon, fox, coyote and occasionally a bobcat “see bad taxidermy thread.” I love working on the tractor tilling or mowing and grading roads with the bulldozer. There’s always something to do.

I certainly love all of my rifles, shotguns, and toys but the land tops them all.

We all love our rifles and guns, but what other posessions do you have that make your heart happy?
i have two, the first is my Series 1 Land Rover that we take on hunts and I drive every day.
Why not just walk.....?

:);):love:

HWL

I am into boats too, this is a Windy 22HC, norwegian made, powered by a 6 cyl. Volvo Penta turbo diesel...we use it to get out in the archipelago during summer...used to sail but too cumbersome with dogs..

boat.jpeg

What else....I have two setters...we hunt grouse over standing setters up in the mountains. I have a Range Rover Sport to go places, very pleased with that one..

Langesjå 1.jpg

Langesjå 2.jpeg

Hunting buddies and our setters..

Langesjå 3.jpeg

Last edited:
Excellent thought Kevin. For me it would be our farm, my ‘69 FJ40 and my books. I grew up on a farm in Canada, the land my great grandparents pioneered. Every building was built by hand. There’s something about working land and making it better that gets in your blood. I’m always busy with bees, long leaf pine restoration, invasive species control. Attached is a picture of last years controlled burn.

Image1610202661.329727.jpg

My wife of 26 years
2 Land cruisers 87 and 88 models
Coleman and tilley lamps
Original Dave Oelufsen Skivee 500 boat
Purglas rods originals especially Tiger Specials
Extreme cooler boxes that keep ice for 7 days
Camel thorn, proper sickel bush, mopanie, lead wood fire wood
Donkey for hot water
Kalahari sun sets

Besides my bride? I’d have to say my two labs.
Ruger, my yellow guy who loves to hunt and occasionally thrill me by turning black.
And Hogan, my red guy who loves to find strange positions to sleep and snore like a chainsaw.

413DD8D1-A0CF-4D16-AFD5-25963737CC85.jpeg
77448EDB-CC08-41A3-9834-31E779716ADB.jpeg
1BD019C0-DFD5-424C-B4E4-E3B4E2F6A3DF.jpeg
AB50B68D-168E-41C7-A473-A84E9137F432.jpeg

I am with Andrew, my land means a lot to me. I take great pride in working it, building onto it, improving it etc. I am actually building a new home right now. I have a hammock under some trees that I enjoy laying in and it gives me a view of a huge portion of the land. I told my wife god forbid I ever get sick and you think its my final hours. At all costs get me to that hammock, say your goodbyes and get out of my view lol.

I have never been a car and boat guy. But I sure do love my trucks. I love my watches. I love my cigars.

And I can't believe no one else said it yet. But I love my taxidermy. When its too cold and snowy to lay in my hammock. Next to the fire under all my trophys is a close second.

The absolute beauty I have had the opportunity to witness while flying tactical jets has been the privilege of a lifetime. I feel so lucky every day to have the opportunity to turn dinosaurs into noise. There were times far out over the ocean at night when through the NVGs there was more star than black space above me. Dozens of shooting stars. Those sorts of moments reminded me of how small I am and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything in the world
T-45 cloud deck.JPG

Our place (with emphasis on "our" - do love that women) is a bit like living in a museum. We love art and antiques, I cherish my books, old militaria primarily from the Napoleonic era through the American War Between the States, and French Empire period porcelain. Throw in our finds while traveling and living abroad, and the occasional remains of exotic fauna. and it makes for an eclectic environment. And like others here, I love our little piece of ground with its soaring pecan trees.

Wife and kids.
Souvenirs from around the world. Things from bumerang from Australia, to waterpipe from egypt, to Venetian mask, etc, etc
Have collection of tribal masks from all continents. South America, Africa, Australia, New Zealand...

Have three boats.
Motor boat, for summer cruising.
Rigid hull rubber boat, with outboard, for my diving expeditions.
Wooden boat, built by my grandfather in 1968, I maintain and use for my fishing.
Scuba diving gear.
Fishing.
Black powder.
Morning coffee, before sunrise.
Reading in the lazy evenings.

@Kevin Peacocke
You make most instresting topics! Thanks!

Wife and kids.
Souvenirs from around the world. Things from bumerang from Australia, to waterpipe from egypt, to Venetian mask, etc, etc
Have collection of tribal masks from all continents. South America, Africa, Australia, New Zealand...

Have three boats.
Motor boat, for summer cruising.
Rigid hull rubber boat, with outboard, for my diving expeditions.
Wooden boat, built by my grandfather in 1968, I maintain and use for my fishing.
Scuba diving gear.
Fishing.
Black powder.
Morning coffee, before sunrise.
Reading in the lazy evenings.

@Kevin Peacocke
You make most instresting topics! Thanks!
I agree Wife and Kids. I don’t have the luxury yet of trips to other continents but I am looking forward to them in the near future I hope to share the experiences with my family. I am a firefighter by trade so we are blue collar for sure but I think in the near future with our expenditures that other continent trips are in order and I look forward to Africa being our first. Black powder and morning coffee definitely on the list as well lol. I am around those a lot as well.

@Whacker
Ahhh... my luxury of international trips comes mostly (85-90% of trips) from my job. It comes with a grain of salt. Tickets paid by company. Ship captain, offshore installation manager. If I had more brains when I was young and foolish, I cold have implemented an occasional hunt here and there, but then, it did not cross my mind.
(I still cannot forgive myself missing hunting chances in Cameroun, New Zealand, Australia, USA, Canada...)

+1 on land. My bride of near 20 years and I enjoy being outside on our property.
Beekeeping: The thrill of trying to stay calm while working with my bees and only wearing a t-shirt and jeans. The occasional stings remind you of the value of the honey. It is a great opportunity to be outside too, and I regularly bring friends or family to help, so there is a social/educational aspect.
A good knife sharpener: I find the process of sharpening a knife to be relaxing. It is a hunting related activity, so it helps keep me in the spirit of the hunt even when the season is over.

27DB064B-2044-4BE8-9660-A95391E86C49.jpeg
9765D55F-6639-4BF6-97DC-1FB71D4A025E.jpeg
3F486CB2-F85C-4B4A-A120-17A4B25ABAF1.jpeg

@Whacker
Ahhh... my luxury of international trips comes mostly (85-90% of trips) from my job. It comes with a grain of salt. Tickets paid by company. Ship captain, offshore installation manager. If I had more brains when I was young and foolish, I cold have implemented an occasional hunt here and there, but then, it did not cross my mind.
(I still cannot forgive myself missing hunting chances in Cameroun, New Zealand, Australia, USA, Canada...)
I always wanted to see New Zealand personally...I used to do some axe lumberjack competition here and my axes came from tuatahi axes New Zealand. I will get there though as I am still young now and hopefully have many years yet to visit the world...however if you want to visit USA I’m sure we could find somewhere for you to hunt although about the biggest game locally is Whitetail.

Hey guys,

Apart from my wife and kids and hunting/ shooting/ firearms, the other 2 passions I have is weightlifting and church!

I used to do powerlifting for about 20 years and have competed, but due to injury have had to retire.
But I still train with weights and make sure I'm the hardest working person in the gym.
In fact, in the last week of 2020 I deadlifted 232kg (511 lbs) at the age off 44 - which was a personal best.
So that shows you're never to old!

I've been a part of the church now for about 10 years and before that I was a very different person. You name it I did it and I hung around with a really rough crew. We had absolutely no regard whatsoever for the law...
But I got out, sold my Harley and started going to church... and I owe everything to that decision.
If I didn't straighten up I would have never met my wife, or have my have my job as a nurse on a surgical ward, or have my kids and most possibly have my freedom and my life.
All the crew I hung with are dead or in prison while in contrast I now empty the giving box and bank the money, or organise communion, or volunteer...
The only hint of my past life is my tattoos, as I'm quite heavily covered.

I don't often talk about my journey or my faith. It's not that I'm ashamed - it's just that I don't want to tell anyone how to live their life.
We're all on our journey... and I all hope we make it to where we want to go...

Russ

I have quite a few interests beside my guns.

Wife and Hank our 30 pound standard Dachshund are top of the list. Besides that.

My Tractor, 50 HP Mahindra I use for my food plots for me East Texas deer hunting and clearing my property around my weekend house on Lake Sam Rayburn. Tractors are cool, and haveing a grapple on the front to pick up and tear things up LOL.

Another hobby which at one time I tood really serious was my Tournament Bass Fishing and my 921 Phoenix Bass boat with Pro XS 250 Merc. on the back. I have a house couple of miles from Lake Sam Rayburn which is the one of the best bass fishing lakes in the US and love my bass fishing. Will do a lot of it when I retire.

It kind of goes with my hunting, but my Cell Connected Trail cameras is a hobby in itself.

One of my other interest are my 4x4 trucks. I have a really cool old 1997 2 door Chevy Tahoe I use it for my hunting, but its a lot of fun.

I also have Dirt Bikes, 250 Honda CRF and 250 YZ 250F motocross bike. I use to race in my younger days, now I just play and work on them for fun.

Another hobby I have is gun related. I am a pretty serious custom rifle stock maker. I make turn of the century English style rifle stocks, mainly short forearm big bore stuff. I do as much of the metal work as I call also, but I have to send out the barrel theading and chamber work.

I have plenty to do to stay busy when I retire in a year or so.

Our place (with emphasis on "our" - do love that women) is a bit like living in a museum. We love art and antiques, I cherish my books, old militaria primarily from the Napoleonic era through the American War Between the States, and French Empire period porcelain. Throw in our finds while traveling and living abroad, and the occasional remains of exotic fauna. and it makes for an eclectic environment. And like others here, I love our little piece of ground with its soaring pecan trees.
You mean Pee Can right??? LOL I have a lot of buddies down in Texas and they sure hate it when I say it like that. I had a dinner with like 15 guys in South Dakota on a pheasant hunt. I ordered the Pee Can pie. I swear to god the entire table went silent lol. The waitress being a northerner, was on my side. The rest of those animals were all from Texas, Mississippi and Tennessee lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraW86

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary (417)860-5888
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross