Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 6 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Greetings,

Somewhere here, within the World's Best Forum, I had posted that presently it's been "about 10 years" since I had hunted in Africa.
However, upon looking at the dates on my most recent fotos de Afrique, more accurately it is actually closer to 8 years since my last time there.
But either way, it has been entirely too long.

During this no-Africa time, I was impacted by some negative / unexpected financial surprises.
It's what most other Working Class people experience from time to time so, I definitely am not complaining.
These pot-holes and anti-speed bumps along the highway of life made saving up enough cash money to book one more safari, very slow going indeed.
However, you just cant keep a mean dog down, not to mention that my Wonder Woman Wife has made a charitable contribution to the "Get your husband off the continent so you can stay home and party-down with the pool boy fund", thereby making it again possible for me to skid sideways into Africa, one more time.

An old childhood friend, along with one person I have met through this forum, plus one of my sons, are all three booked to torment me around the evening fire, during this two week "Plains Game" safari.

At any rate, after scouring untold numbers of Safari offers and advertisements, I have finally sent a deposit to our fellow AH member (Sponsor actually) - Philip Hennings, who is the Hunting Manager and part owner of "Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris".
We will be going over in only about 6 months from now.
Philip's Safari company consists of a private in-holding which amounts to about 21,000 acres, belonging to the Hennings' family (historically known as: "Farm Heusis").
And, it is within the approximately 4 million acre "Khomas Hochland Highlands Conservancy", located more or less in Central Namibia.

Farm Heusis, as well as the rest of the lease or leases that himself and his other PHs guide within, up high there in the Khomas Hochland is / are not game fenced.
Philip's family also raises cattle, as do other land owners there, within this truly massive Conservancy and so, there are the standard cattle industry type of low fences, here and there upon that 4 million acre beauty, not unlike those common to the western USA, (such as a person would see in parts of Wyoming, etc.)
There is an antelope / zebra migration of sorts each year, up to the Highlands and back down to the lower elevations of the Namib Desert again, according to weather and grass availability.

That being said, I understand that Philip also leases hunting rights, to an approximately 37,000 acre (15,000 hectares) concession, way down in the lower desert that, is in fact high fenced.
This specific lease is primarily for taking clients (such as limp wristed espresso drinkers like me) who, want to hunt eland while in Namibia.
I prefer no game fences but, as long as a game fenced property is large enough (37,000 acres will do nicely) to facilitate self-sustaining game animals, it is not a deal breaker for me.
The bulk of species we plan hunt are up in the highlands anyway.

Anyway, I am renting Philip's Brno .375 H&H that, is identical to mine here, except my scope is a 4x and his is a variable power one.
I've been practicing with 250 grain Sierra spitzers at 2600 fps, because that duplicates his hand load for the rifle I am to rent.
This specific bullet might seem a bit soft / low SD for eland and definitely it is a bit much for steenbok. However, when I consider Philip's own personal experiences with this bullet, I am confident that as long as I shoot it straight, it will surely keep the braai sizzling.

You crazy kids be good,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
You're hunting with a variable power scope?????? :A Banana Sad:

World is going to hell in a hand basket.... ;)

In all seriousness, enjoy every moment as I know you will! I'm very happy for you and can't wait to read the report.

Very nice congrats! Looking forward to the report!

Good for you sir!! We all expect a fine hunting report.

Awesome! Namibia free range is on my bucket list. So nice your son and friend can go with you.
Please report so we can pretend to be there too.
Best

I can't wait to read what I am sure will be a very entertaining report.:coffee:(y) Enjoy the trip and what a great crew to take with you! Very happy for you!

6 Months of prep time should be good.
You guys should have a great time.

Haven't hunted with your outfitter, but I really love the Hochland. Get on a high point, glass a mile or three out and put on a stalk. You are correct, it is a lot like the American west.

You will have a great time. Can wait to hear all about it

I have been seriously considering him for our next trip a year from now..Anxious to here about your trip..

Enjoy your Safari

Very happy for you Paul....I have not hunted Khomas but I did hunt in the Karas mountains in the south.....very nice scenery and exciting kudu hunt..

As for choice of bullets, as you know I have the same Brno 602 as you....I used 260 grain Nosler Accubond and 235 grain Barnes X in Namibia....both are hell on wheels....you might try them out..

What plainsgame are you looking for..?

I think you will have a great time it is a beautiful place lots of free range animals and Philips father is very entertaining as well.

Good luck, have fun. You are bound to enjoy everything but the lo....ng plane ride. Hunting with friends and family truly is one of life's' simpler pleasures. Looking forward to the trip report and photos.

It may have been awhile for you but your going back. I am sure you will have a great hunt and see a great area.

Have a grand trip, and enjoy that quality time with those special people. Had the opportunity to spend a couple of days on Derk De Bod's place in '08 which in the same general area. Glorious country indeed. And a short drive from Windhoek! Really look forward to hearing about it.

Sounds like a great hunt in the making. We are looking forward to reading your hunt report. I expect that your party will have a great time. Bruce

Congratulations! I'm relatively new here, but have always enjoyed your contributions. I'm very excited for you that you're going back and, like others, look forward to your report and photos.

Way too long! But can't for the report, just describing the hunt planning was a good and fun read.

Glad to hear you're making another trip @Velo Dog and looking forward to your report!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg