The Old Dog Hunts Again

@Velo Dog ..well Mr VD real happy to hear you are getting to head to africa again :D Beers: even if you arent going to make it over the zambezi :P Swimmer:....:E Big Grin: and come visit for a beer or 2 :D Cheers:. have a good one cheers mike

Thanks Mike,

Sadly, I am indeed not going past the Zambezi.
Crossing the Atlantic shall have to do for this time.
Perhaps one day you can swim across the Yukon and visit us up here.

Actually, during your off-season our most iconic river is more likely to have 2 or more feet of ice on it, so you can just ride your dog sled across, hopefully with the only Zambian lion's mane ruff on your "parka" (coat) hood, for many miles around.
The Yukon River is not actually anywhere near Anchorage anyway but, Ship Creek runs through town here.
So, you could take off your shoes and wade back and forth across it a few times while you're visiting, if you wanted to.

I do sorely wish that I could make it over to your place one of these times, especially if there is cold beer in the deal.
Meanwhile, I guess I have to work some more because, I unfortunately cannot afford to visit all the places on my bucket list, at least not with short duration between each trip to Africa.
Takeri is definitely one spot I'd love to visit though.

I have a splendid Model 98 Mauser, in 9.3x62 that is a joy to carry and it shoots real straight.
With 286 gr softs, I expect it would be a good one for your local fauna, from duiker through Livingstone's eland, on your property there.
So many camp fires and so little time.

Cheers,
Venereal Dog

Last edited:
Thanks Mike,

Actually, during your off-season our most iconic river is more likely to have 2 or more feet of ice on it, so you can just ride your dog sled across, hopefully with the only Zambian lion's mane ruff on your "parka" (coat) hood, for many miles around.
The Yukon River is not actually anywhere near Anchorage anyway but, Ship Creek runs through town here.
So, you could take off your shoes and wade back and forth across it a few times while you're visiting, if you wanted to.

I do sorely wish that I could make it over to your place one of these times, especially if there is cold beer in the deal.
Meanwhile, I guess I have to work some more because, I unfortunately cannot afford to visit all the places on my bucket list, at least not with short duration between each trip to Africa.

I have a splendid Model 98 Mauser, in 9.3x62 that is a joy to carry and it shoots real straight.
With 286 gr softs, I expect it would be a good one for your local fauna, from duiker through Livingstone's eland, on your property there.

Cheers,
Venereal Dog
i to am running out of matches.

Mr VD you are welcome any time .just bring the 9.3 and we will shoot shit and drink beers and talk even bigger kak....and thats just when we pretending to fish.......cost you some diesel and beers ....possibly not in that order though!!!! ....should have cheers smiley here...but the f--ing internet thing wont play as signal is a bit fkd to put it politely ...another smiley...but yeah....

Congratulations, Paul. Please leave some animals in Africa for the rest of us.

I don't have another trip planned for the foreseeable future, but still bask in the glow of last summer's safaris.

Jim

Have a grand trip, and enjoy that quality time with those special people. Had the opportunity to spend a couple of days on Derk De Bod's place in '08 which in the same general area. Glorious country indeed. And a short drive from Windhoek! Really look forward to hearing about it.

spent time w/ dirk at his place in '16. a real gentleman, great ph and beautiful country!

Mr VD you are welcome any time .just bring the 9.3 and we will shoot shit and drink beers and talk even bigger kak....and thats just when we pretending to fish.......cost you some diesel and beers ....possibly not in that order though!!!! ....should have cheers smiley here...but the f--ing internet thing wont play as signal is a bit fkd to put it politely ...another smiley...but yeah....

Thanks, you're the best but regarding your invitation - Just when you thought you were safe .... I've been rumored to show up in places much harder to infiltrate than Zambia so, one never knows now does one? LOL.

Congratulations, Paul. Please leave some animals in Africa for the rest of us.

I don't have another trip planned for the foreseeable future, but still bask in the glow of last summer's safaris.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

And hopefully you have RSVP with Cal Pappas for the Double Rifle Shoot on Saturday, May-6.
Likewise, there will be a very informal gathering of the usual suspects at my place afterward (around 4:00 PM) for chips n dips, etc. nothing complicated, extremely informal.
Hope to see you then, if not sooner.
I loved your hunting reports and I still need to sit down with you, to go over your last safari photos, one of these days.

Cheers,
Paul.

I don't have a double rifle, but will try to make it to your place for the get-together.

Double rifle not required.
Fact is, you can attend with no rifle at all if you like.
Just be sure to touch base with Cal so he can have enough burgers there, etc.
(He usually plans for someone to bring a grill for cooking and ice box with soft drinks plus related accoutrements).

Thanks Mike,

Cheers,
Venereal Dog
Agree with your so little time, would only like to add, and limited money....You have to have both to work at this passion! If I make a second trip next year, which is quite likely, I want to spend some time, actually seeing some sites not directly related to hunting. Maybe take a ride on that luxury train they have, just have to ride in the baggage car!!!

velo dog,maybe we will meet some day at one of the shows,before all the matches are gone.

Thanks, you're the best but regarding your invitation - Just when you thought you were safe .... I've been rumored to show up in places much harder to infiltrate than Zambia so, one never knows now does one? LOL.

:E Hmmm:....just remembered i am out of zambia for part of august....:E Lol:

velo dog,maybe we will meet some day at one of the shows,before all the matches are gone.

Edward,

That would be good.
If so, then I will buy the first round for sure.

Cheers,
Paul.

Haven't hunted with your outfitter, but I really love the Hochland. Get on a high point, glass a mile or three out and put on a stalk. You are correct, it is a lot like the American west.

You will have a great time. Can wait to hear all about it

Thanks Wheels,

1. What rifle / caliber and specific ammunition did you use that time ?
2. Were they satisfactory ?
3. If not, what would you rather have brought ?
4. Approximately what distance was your longest shot, and on what species was it taken ?
In general, what if anything would you do different next time to hunt the Khomas Hochland Highland Concervancy ?

For my very first African visit, I had hunted further south (near Keetmanshoop) which, is both scattered, small mountain ranges and somewhat flat, dry "plains" as well.
Plus, beginning when I was in High School (around the time of Columbus's second voyage), I frequently hunted in the mountainous deserts of N.E California and Northern Nevada.
So, I'm quite comfortable hunting such environments, no worries there.

But I'm just very curious how other well experienced fellows, such as yourself do things.
Always keen to learn from others.

Kind regards,
Velo Dog.

Velo Dog,

Long story, but it was a loner rifle from a friend who was in Namibia during the time of my trip. High end Christensen rifle with high end Swarovski scope. It fit me and worked great. 300wsm. Ammo was the Winchester version of the Barnes tsx, as I recall. ( It is a much better rifle than I am a marksman.) Didn't worry about bringing my own rifle. It was certainly satisfactory since it was a nicer setup than what I have. I think any flat shooting rifle from 270/7x57 up to 338/8x68s would work great. Any premium bullet should be just fine. My longest shot may have been 225/ 250, but we could have gotten closer. I felt comfortable with that distance.

Make sure you bring a good pair of binoculars. 10x is much better than 8x imo. We glassed up to 3 miles away. Can't say I saw what everyone else did. Conversations would go like this.

Ph: Herd of zebra 3 ridges over.

Friend: Oh yea.

Me: Where.

PH: Just above the herd of gemsbok on the second ridge.

Me: What herd of gemsbok.

Friend: The ones beside the vlei three kilometers out.

PH: No that is another herd, and besides, they are only two kilometers out.

Me: I decide to shut up and not demonstrate my optical inferiority.:unsure:

Agree, The Hochland is a lot like places in the American west. Most of the places you glass will be much closer. Maybe to a 800 yards. I just really enjoy spoting, making a plan and putting on a successful stalk.

I don't shoot animals at long distance, except baboons and feral hogs. I hate them both. There may be opportunities to practice long shots at baboons if you wish.

Depending on time of year, make sure and bring layered clothes. Mornings can be chilly. Make sure and ask your outfitter what to bring. He will tell you much better than I can.

Certainly hope you have a great hunt. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Velo Dog,

Long story, but it was a loner rifle from a friend who was in Namibia during the time of my trip. High end Christensen rifle with high end Swarovski scope. It fit me and worked great. 300wsm. Ammo was the Winchester version of the Barnes tsx, as I recall. ( It is a much better rifle than I am a marksman.) Didn't worry about bringing my own rifle. It was certainly satisfactory since it was a nicer setup than what I have. I think any flat shooting rifle from 270/7x57 up to 338/8x68s would work great. Any premium bullet should be just fine. My longest shot may have been 225/ 250, but we could have gotten closer. I felt comfortable with that distance.

Make sure you bring a good pair of binoculars. 10x is much better than 8x imo. We glassed up to 3 miles away. Can't say I saw what everyone else did. Conversations would go like this.

Ph: Herd of zebra 3 ridges over.

Friend: Oh yea.

Me: Where.

PH: Just above the herd of gemsbok on the second ridge.

Me: What herd of gemsbok.

Friend: The ones beside the vlei three kilometers out.

PH: No that is another herd, and besides, they are only two kilometers out.

Me: I decide to shut up and not demonstrate my optical inferiority.:unsure:

Agree, The Hochland is a lot like places in the American west. Most of the places you glass will be much closer. Maybe to a 800 yards. I just really enjoy spoting, making a plan and putting on a successful stalk.

I don't shoot animals at long distance, except baboons and feral hogs. I hate them both. There may be opportunities to practice long shots at baboons if you wish.

Depending on time of year, make sure and bring layered clothes. Mornings can be chilly. Make sure and ask your outfitter what to bring. He will tell you much better than I can.

Certainly hope you have a great hunt. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Wheels,

Thanks for that.
I appreciate your info very much.
Likewise, I dislike taking game at extreme long range, there's something about it that rubs me the wrong way.
Therefore even though I can hit targets well out to around 500 meters, I do not generally fire at animals from the sticks, beyond about 400.
And then only under VERY unusual circumstances.
Baboons will however always be a noted exception, as I too dislike them. (for what I have seen them do to klipspringer).

One of several reasons I chose to book with Philip Hennings is that he told me he'd put me on game animals, within no more than about 300 yards or meters maximum, and usually much closer, as he does enjoy stalking in close (me too, I'm a sneaky old fart).

That .300 WSM you used in Namibia is, if I'm not mistaken, ballistically quite similar to the .300 H&H, if you stay with 180 grain and lighter bullets?
Seems like it's made in short action rifles mostly so, longer bullets like 200 gr spitzers and heavier don't really fit in the short magazine, unless you seat them so deep into the powder space that now you'd be back down to .30-06 ballistics from it?
If the 180 grain bullet comparison is correct, I can understand why it worked well for you, as the .300 H&H / 180 gr was designed specifically for the open grasslands and various so called "plains game" of Africa in the first place, plus "mountain game" of India as well (long shots / thin skinned game animals).

I too am not bothering to struggle through international borders with a firearm this time.
Philip has a proper Brno .375 H&H like mine here at home, so I will be ready for it.
Eland is on the list so, that's why I'm choosing the .375 caliber this time (but he also has other rifles in other calibers to rent as well).
I'll be using his pet load of 250 gr Sierra spitzer and judging from his many experiences with same, I am confident it will work well for me too.

Yes, the deserts of the world have large temperature fluctuations within the same day, especially in the mountains.
So your advice of layered clothing is appreciated.
I shall abide by it.

For binoculars, I totally agree with you and am all set with 10x EL model Swarovskis that, I will keep within my carry-on luggage until finally arriving.
Walking and glassing is how I started hunting deer as a teen and how almost all big game is hunted here in Alaska.
I love it.
Since sending my deposit for this hunt, I have lost almost 30 pounds and despite suffering a bit of arthritis (I'm 64 all of a sudden), I'm walking 5 days a week, in the 3 story building where I work.
Soon, the snow will melt here and I will begin walking the other 2 days a week, but outdoors in my neighborhood.

You must keep well,
Velo Dog.

So happy for you Paul, but sorry you now must incur the expense of installing a pool and importing a pool boy as I'm sure they are hard to come by in Alaska! None the less I wish you the best. I will be in the Limpopo in August, can't wait!
Cheers,
Cody

Thanks Cody,

This will be my 5th time hunting Africa and initially, I had wanted to do either a tusk-less elephant or hippo on land this time.
But, due to some financial set backs, I became frustrated trying to save pennies for what turned out to be many years by now, only to be looking at eventually some day hunting one single animal.
So, all it took was for an old hunting and fishing pal, originally from my sordid youth (we're geezers now) to say he was finally interested in an African "plains game" type hunt, as long as it was not for half tame animals, kept inside some high fenced little "corral".
So, I cast about, this way and that for several months, finally settling on Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris (an AH Sponsor here).

For others unfamiliar, that outfit is run by Philip Hennings who himself, posts now and then in this forum.
He is located up in the malaria free Khomas Hochland Highlands, more or less in central Namibia.
The majority of his truly huge hunting area is not high fenced / game fenced, only having typical waist high cattle fences here and there (his family and some others still raise beef cattle there).
And, there is a migration of sorts, involving zebra and certain antelope species, up to the Highlands and back down again each year.
Philip does lease rights to a 37,000 acre "concession" for eland hunting and it is game-fenced but, the majority of species we plan to hunt are up higher in the "no game fence" area.
Also, 37,000 acres in one plot is plenty to hunt on for a couple extra days, high fence or not.

Old "Dale" (my mentioned hunting partner) is going to flip when he sees Africa.
One of my son's has now joined in and will meet up with us in transit, including on a couple of the same flights with us.
Soon as he sees Africa, he's going to flip as well - heh heh.

Thanks again for your good wishes on my impending hunt.
I wish you all the best on your planned trip to The Limpopo as well.
That specific part of Africa is such great hunting ground that I have hunted it 3 times now.
No doubt that you are booked with someone there who has plenty of land and will provide you with fair chase (in other words, stalking on foot) conditions.
I do look forward to your reports on the Limpopo trip, it is a hunter's paradise (fly fishing there can be productive as well).

Yes, it looks like there will be no swimming pool at Casa De Doggo.
And as far as pool boys go, you are right again, very difficult to find here in Alaska.
In any event though, I am not worried as my wife's indescribable beauty is such that, no pool boy could even look at her without then falling to the ground and begging forgiveness for even having been born.
She could kill most mortal men with the mere wink of her eye, much less any pool boy.
OK, maybe I'm biased and embellishing a little (not really - LOL).

Perhaps you and I will cross paths in some airport, including OR Tambo, during transit to our respective destinations.
If so, I'd be proud to buy you a cold one.

Regards,
Paul.

Last edited:
Alright you crazy kids,

My toes are in the starting blocks, ready to launch.

Pacing the floor actually.

Been staying away from starchy foods and walking every day.

My young trophy wife (still only in her 50's) says, now I'm almost as fit and handsome as the gardener she's hired to work around here while I'm gone.

My son (writing in the world's greatest forum as "DoubleLunger") will be joining me.

Old saddle pard Dale, whom I've hunted and fished with for 50 years now, is also joining us.

Not sure if AH member "Roan" is still in or not, as I have not heard from him in a good while but, I hope so.

Anyway, I had to book with British Air because I'm using mileage awards and you have to take what you can get.

They are being evasive as to wether or not I may bring just projectiles in my luggage with no red tape / paper work / special permits, etc.

None of us are traveling with firearms this time (renting them from PH).

Anyone have a straight answer to the bullet head riddle ?

I can leave them at home and not croak over this one thing but it'd be good if I can bring them without harassment.

Cheers,
Velo Dog

My young trophy wife (still only in her 50's) says, now I'm almost as fit and handsome as the gardener she's hired to work around here while I'm gone.

:D, got a chuckle there Velo. Made me do a little searching.......

olddog1.jpg
olddog2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you