The mythical single rifle

Have you ever had/seen one?

HWL
I have a 12/9.3 barrel for my BBF. I’d prefer 375 but Blaser stopped short
As soon as I saw these posts I started looking at the Blaser BB95/97 in 12 bore/9.3x74R. It would be very versatile, but I may need a second barrel set with 20 bore/7x65R. That's still one rifle...right?

Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905 in 9x56ms. Classic gun in a large enough caliber for any medium game. Damn hard to find and even harder to get ammo. But nothing feels or points better when you bring it to shoulder. If shots are likely to be over 100 yards then CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62.

WOW... whath a question! Hahahaha

I was always to privilege reliability over other things, including caliber, because thath I prefer my Mauser 1891 308 caliber, HE IS my "only rifle", and very proudly i guess
Here, in my country, between 20 and 400 meters away, there was no animal that resisted falling with a shot
Handloading it, I use the 308 for EVERYTHING, including small game
But I think there is not only because the cartridge, but from the feeling of reliability, robustness in the hunting terrain and apart from the precision that my rifle has

Problem with the 30-06 and previous military caliber rifles is that they are restricted in certain countries. Therefore I can't see it technically as a mythical single rifle.

Problem with the 30-06 and previous military caliber rifles is that they are restricted in certain countries. Therefore I can't see it technically as a mythical single rifle.
Wow I didn't realize the old 30-06 would be restricted! Which countries are they?

Woukd the 7x57 also be restricted? Would one get away with a 275 Rigby.

As far as I know there are certain countries that restrict any caliber that was ever used in a war.
I might be wrong but I think France is one.
I don't know all the finer details but I read that a 308 is not allowed as it is basically a 7.62x 51.
Wow I didn't realize the old 30-06 would be restricted! Which countries are they?

Woukd the 7x57 also be restricted? Would one get away with a 275 Rigby.

A true hunter cannot do it with 1 rifle.....
What about bird hunting wingshooting?
DG non DG?

7x57mm
9.3xwhatever if no DG
375HxH if DG is added
404 Jeff if DG is more frequent
500 Jeff isf DG is main quarry

If only 1 for all 375 H&H....+ some type of shotgun or you are not a true hunter.

So to be able to do it all a minimum of 4

7x57
12ga

DG non DG?

7x57mm
9.3xwhatever if no DG
375HxH if DG is added

If only 1 for all 375 H&H....+ some type of shotgun or you are not a true hunter.

7x57
12ga
I suppose this is why it's "mythical".

Have you ever had/seen one?

HWL

No I haven't.

That said, I actually took the question wrong. He specifically asked which "rifle" and I took it as only one gun to hunt with. So probably still a 375 H&H because it works very easily for smaller stuff but still large enough and most importantly legal for DG. I'll take it in a vintage Rigby bolt as well.

DG non DG?

7x57mm
9.3xwhatever if no DG
375HxH if DG is added

7x57
12ga

Your forgot rimfire and DR but otherwise +1

DG non DG?

7x57mm
9.3xwhatever if no DG
375HxH if DG is added

7x57
12ga
And a .22

And a .22
I went one better. A .25 FX Impact airgun. More accurate than any .22 and almost as powerful. Hits like a hammer but with a report that sounds like dropping a shoe. No ammunition shortage can keep me from coyote hunting with that!

A drilling.
Europe:16/16-8x57irs
Almost bought one of those. Claw mount 4x Optikotechna (Meopta) scope, .22LR insert in one of the 16ga barrels. Still wish I had got it.

My "only one" would be either Brno/Mauser/M70/Kimber in 7x57/8x57/30-06/9.3x62...I think I could be happy with any one of those but choosing one has been causing me anxiety for quite a while now.

The classic idea of "beware of the man with only one rifle" supposes that having one gun will work out well because you will have superior familiarity and accuracy. I am not sure how well that works out with the 375s. I know. You shoot a 375 just as well as you shoot a 6.5x55. What was I thinking...

I think it also supposed a practical rifleman, so Don's 30 rounds to repel poachers or terrorist would also apply. And again, the 375s are the winner! (warning, this is sarcasm)

It is only a working idea for as long as it works, and it only really works for mid-bores.

I would choose the 9.3x62 if I had to. And that cartridge exists because a lot of people did have to choose.

Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905 in 9x56ms. Classic gun in a large enough caliber for any medium game. Damn hard to find and even harder to get ammo. But nothing feels or points better when you bring it to shoulder. If shots are likely to be over 100 yards then CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62.

Yes to the Mannlicher Schoenauer stutzen (full stock).
Their legend for 'pointability' is well deserved.

MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details 03.jpg

Almost bought one of those. Claw mount 4x Optikotechna (Meopta) scope, .22LR insert in one of the 16ga barrels. Still wish I had got it.

My "only one" would be either Brno/Mauser/M70/Kimber in 7x57/8x57/30-06/9.3x62...I think I could be happy with any one of those but choosing one has been causing me anxiety for quite a while now.

Other options to consider (provided you're a reloader if chambered for the MS proprietary cartridges of 8X57MS, 9X57MS, 9,5X57MS):

MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillianaLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg