The Difference Between An Agreeable & A Difficult Client From A Professional Hunter Perspective...

Discussion in 'Articles' started by IvW, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Nhoro

Nhoro AH Veteran

Video/Photo:

The law in Zimbabwe is that the person conducting the hunt must be a licensed PH in Zimbabwe. This requires that he/ she is a Zimbabwe resident and has passed PH licence and is currently licensed. South African/ Tanzanian qualifications do not count. Also be aware that PAC (problem animal control) permits are not for foreign clients. You should only hunt in terms of a hunting permit paying the trophy fee, even if the animal is a crop raider. PAC permits are for citizens only and not paid for. Unfortunately dodgy things happen but you wouldn’t want to end up on the wrong side of zim law

jeff and Kawshik Rahman like this.

2. One Day...

One Day... AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Europe, America, Canada, Africa
    +1

This is exactly why I was asking the question, Nhoro, I was under the impression that a SA PH could not legally conduct hunts in Zimbabwe, but this story created a doubt in my mind. Thank you for clarifying things.

Can a SA PH guide in Zim if he is acting as "second PH" to a Zim PH? Or maybe regulations were more relaxed a decade or two ago? Or maybe IvW is a Zim citizen living in RSA and he is licensed in several countries? Or maybe he was a Zim resident at the time and he is licensed in Zim? I asked him one time in which country(ies) he is licensed and for which outfitter(s) he is guiding but he did not answer.

As to the tuskless cow, yes I am aware. This will be a trophy fee hunt, with a Zim outfitter and guided by a Zim PH. Details still to be worked out as I have not yet committed and written a check :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019

3. Nhoro

Nhoro AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    better to stay the right side of the law in Africa

4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    ...... or, if you can imagine, a (Rhodesian) Zimbabwe citizen who might have emigrated to South Africa.

5. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
    This is from thread hunting infor by country, a qoute for Zimbabwe PH's.
    There is also good number of sponsors from South Africa, advertising hunts in ZIM.

So, the question is in reality how does it work? Who today is licensed PH in Zim?
    Is there a public list of licensed Zim PH?
    I found one list by google search, but dated 2012.

6. Nhoro

Nhoro AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    You can have a foreign passport but must be resident in Zim. So if

7. Nhoro

Nhoro AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Yes there are a number of SA operators working in conjunction with Zim operators. I would check that they do follow the law and use a Zim licence PH. They will usually have an agreement with a Zim operator to do those hunts but I have seen hunting reports on this website giving evidence that foreign PH’s illegally conducted hunts. I also saw a hunting report where a problem animal was paid for and shot in a communal area. The hunters did not know they had broken the law, they thought they had a cheap ‘roughing it ‘hunt and had helped the community.

Zimbabwe Professional hunters association produces a list of members who are confirmed licence holders so I would start at their website. I do not know of any definitive list of licence holders unfortunately.

8. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    The answer to your question from another thread on AH. referenced below.
    Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 11.11.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 11.11.54 AM.png

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...l-hunters-and-guides-association-zphga.39003/

References the contact information for the ZPHGA
    Contact them and ask for a current list.

https://ophaa.org/member-associations/zimbabwe-professional-hunters-and-guides-association/

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    mark-hunter likes this.

9. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
    Brickburn
    Many thanks!