The big, bad 375... isn't?

Hall

AH member
Reaction score
A couple week ago I bought my very first big (to me) bore rifle. A 375 h&h. I've been hearing from friends and coworkers about what a monster it would be, that that it was going to be way too much recoil. This got in my head a bit. I finally made it to the range and all the standing shooting lanes were taken. So with much trepidation, I take a bench rest shooting bay. I uncase my rifle, bore sight on my 50 yard target, and then squeeze off my first round... And much to my surprise, the rifle recoiled a little bit more than my .270! I shot 30 rounds (that's all I had on hard) and figured I'd wait until morning to post to see if I developed and bruising or soreness. None at all. I'm in love and wondering just how big the step up into the 40 cal rifles would be.

20230106_115218.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very similar to my first 375 experience... (but I was already used to 9.3)
What rifle did you get?

A CZ 550, I think the weight helps a lot.
(y)

My zkk 602, vintage 1985 (predecessor of 550), is 4.2 Kg without scope. (9 pounds, 4 ounces)

Congrats on your new rifle. I’m in a similar situation. I bought a Model 70 in 375 about 2 months ago. I enjoy shooting it and it is very accurate. As mentioned earlier, it seems like it will be a gateway for me as well. I am currently looking for a 404 Jeff or a 416 Rem. My issue is I am a lefty and they really limits the options. I did read the Ruger no 1 thread yesterday, so those rifles have my interest now. Sorry to derail your post. You have an Africa trip planned for your new 375?

The 375 H&H was my first firearm, and I admit at first it seemed like a handful, but after a score of shots we made friends. It is definitely a powerful cartridge, wirthy of the respect it commands.

My experience was fairly similar. I found a great deal on one of the original .375 Ruger Hawkeye African rifles, so I bought it, but wasn't sure if I'd be able to handle it. After shooting it the first time, I bought an Alaskan to go with it. This was when they were switching to the muzzle braked version and CDNN was closing out the originals in the $500-$600 range. I've added 1" decelerator pads to both, which has tamed them down further.

Several people have shot mine, always with great trepidation, and their first comment is usually something to the effect of "that wasn't as bad as I expected."

I'd like to try something bigger, but being a lefty really limits the bigger options unless I want to spend a pile of money. I bought the second .375 with the intention of converting it into a .458WM, but I like both of them as they are. Guess I should have bought a third one.

A couple week ago I bought my very first big (to me) bore rifle. A 375 h&h. I've been hearing from friends and coworkers about what a monster it would be, that that it was going to be way too much recoil. This got in my head a bit. I finally made it to the range and all the standing shooting lanes were taken. So with much trepidation, I take a bench rest shooting bay. I uncase my rifle, bore sight on my 50 yard target, and then squeeze off my first round... And much to my surprise, the rifle recoiled a little bit more than my .270! I shot 30 rounds (that's all I had on hard) and figured I'd wait until morning to post to see if I developed and bruising or soreness. None at all. I'm in love and wondering just how big the step up into the 40 cal rifles would be.
My take on my M70 416RM is that I don't notice much difference from my 375s. From a bench I use a high post on my front rest so that I'm in a position to just roll with the recoil and its certainly manageable.

I am like others in my experience. My Browning X-bolt 30-06 seems to kick as hard as my CZ500 in 375 H&H. I am in the camp that the weight is the factor. A few years after buying my 375 H&H, I bought a CZ550 in 404J. And, yes the kick is demonstrably stronger. I believe others have described the 375 as a 'push', which seems right to me, while the 404J kicks.

The only place I have to shoot within reasonable distance requires me to be seated. So, I allow myself to give with the punch from the 404J to lessen the felt recoil.

Glad it was a good experience!

When I bought my .470NE, I thought it was going to be funny to have my "height challenged" friend shoot it. Not so much. .470 is the largest I've shot (besides .50bmg but was semi auto with muzzle break so lots of noise but not so much recoil), and the big bores to me seem to make a lot of noise and there is clearly power but it's more of a push.

Shot a few .30-06 and .300WM that have that sharp recoil that feel way way more harsh on the shoulder

I eased into the bigger calibers with a Ruger .375 Ruger with the removeable muzzle brake. Then a .416 Ruger with the brake. After a short while I got away from the brake and became quite used to the .375. For me it is a big jump from .375 to .416 (no brake) especially from the bench. My .470 is hard on my head and neck so I can only shoot 6 rounds a day st the range. As many will tell you hunting with even the really big calibers you wont feel any recoil.
Some people are more averse to recoil than others but we can all work our way up to where we need to be.

Welcome to the 375HH world! The versatility of the caliber is very hard to beat with the 416’s perhaps matching it in that department.

Moving up into the 400’s is noticeable for sure, but stay within reason and it’s not that difficult to deal with. Within reason meaning in the velocity department. A .416 Rigby of modern make and loaded to it’s potential becomes outside of reason in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BelleTjalk

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you