Talk me out of a 416

Cody I’m the same as you - I’ll encourage

Toby 458, you are absolutely correct. Those other 416s are to the Rigby what the 6.5 Creedmore is to the
6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser maybe 25 FPS on a good day. When those Johnny Come Lately(s) have taken as much game as the Rigby feel free to talk with me. :Playful:

You guys all suck. Enablers every one of ya.

If I do get a 416 it will be a Rem Mag. I’ve done loads of research on each of them, and the only factor that clearly favors the Rigby with modern powders is the nostalgia thing.

Now I’m researching rifles. May start a separate thread for that topic.

I got my Win 70 416 Rem Mag as an impulse buy (trade). I found it in near new condition on the rack of a large gun store. It is a late New Haven model (DOM 2005) just before sale to Herstal Group/FN and the move to South Carolina. That means it was built on the old Winchester machines at the New Haven plant some of which had so much run out that each shift machinist had to mark down the correction numbers on a piece of paper for the next shift worker!! But some how they continued to get it right!... right up to the factory shut down and change. A testament to those employees! I mean right... as that rifle is one of my most accurate hunting rifles and it is by far the smoothest cycling.

I handled it and cycled it in the shop. Right next to it was a CZ in 416 Rigby. I handled it and cycled it... whew no comparison, not even close!!! I asked the owner about a trade and we agreed to what amounted to about a 1100 deal. I took the Winchester 70 home and have not looked back. It was nearly a no brainer to work up loads. It has performed flawlessly for both DG and PG.

I have little experience with the new FN Win 70s except one in 30-06. I bought it for about 750, worked up loads for it, took it to Africa, it worked well with no issues, sold it for 750 a couple years ago. Simply nothing special. I wish FN would have kept the old style M 70 trigger on their new iteration- hmm? I guess my suggestion is if you can find a late New Haven M 70 416, might consider a serious look.

Last edited:
Are you referring the caliber that has a case capacity far too large for today's powders, requires a huge action, and requires 25 more grains of powder than neccessary to push a 400gr bullet at 2400 fps? :A Stirring:

Well, I was actually referring to a 416 Rigby, not the pretenders, like 416 Ruger, Remington, Weatherby, etc. Have that popcorn ready yet?

Nope not going to do it buy a 404 Jeffery
There ya go. 404Jeffery. So close to the 416 without knocking your teeth out--push instead of wallop. Perfect mate for your 375. 375 for pg, 404Jeffery for dg. What more could one want?

Buy the more expensive caliber rifle for the buffalo hunt..the classic 404 Jeffery..you can hunt buffalo and elephant and plains game...or keep your .375 H&H Magnum and do the same with it...the .375 H&H Magnum has enough penetration for a frontal brain shot on an elephant as well as a side brain shot and a heart shot...you can upgrade to a 350 gn premium bullet as well in your .375 caliber...no reason why you need to buy another rifle ...use that money to hunt more trophy animals on your hunt...as pointed out the 404 Jeffery is too expensive as well as the .416 Rigby..use that money to hunt a tuskless elephant ...

404 Jeffery from MRC--$ 1900.00. Got mine coming in August.

404 Jeffery from MRC--$ 1900.00. Got mine coming in August.
New Boomer, congratulations..you made a great choice..as you might have noticed on this forum a member who owns/shoot /hunt with a 404 Jeffery is looked upon with admiration for his great insight and knowledge about a great classic caliber ...members who owns a .458 or .500 caliber are always looking to buy a 404 Jeffery since it can do as much as these big bore calibers, with much grace and less recoil....you really are a knowledgeable hunter and rifle guru if you bought a 404 Jeffery Sir...:A Big Hello::A Big Hello::A Banana::A Banana:

If I were you.....in all seriousness......I'd buy a Heym Express Martini in 404 Jeffrey. Put a LOT of pictures on AH for everyone to drool over, then decide you have WAY too much money tied up in it....then sell it to me for half price...:A Outta:

If I were you.....in all seriousness......I'd buy a Heym Express Martini in 404 Jeffrey. Put a LOT of pictures on AH for everyone to drool over, then decide you have WAY too much money tied up in it....then sell it to me for half price...:A Outta:

Nice try there

toby,
it is worrying that heym claim 2x barrel life and no need to run in a barrel made by hammer forging.
such statements make you wonder what other crock they are trying to peddle.
bruce.

toby,
it is worrying that heym claim 2x barrel life and no need to run in a barrel made by hammer forging.
bruce.

I hadn’t heard that but if so I would find that a bit hard to swallow!☹️

toby,
bruce.
Never heard that before. But, I'm sure it's built to last a lifetime, especially in 404. Probably be lucky to shoot it a thousand times in one life. Probably most would shoot it much less.

good point, but if one lie is obvious, how much truth is in any of their advertising?
trust is hard to gain, but easy and fast to lose.
also, treating potential customers as idiots really does not garner respect.
bruce.

If you’ve already got a .375 then I would suggest going to something in .458. That way you’ve moved up noticeably in power and the bigger bore will give more knock down power. There. Now that’s as far as I’m going to discourage you from buying another rifle in .416. Your welcome.

Reactions: WAB
Here's what has me noodling. While I'd love a 404J, it's only 10% more energy than a 300g 375H&H but only 10% more recoil. But it does provide 33% more bullet weight. For the bigger bores, I'm just questioning if the pick-up in energy is worth the "cost" in recoil. I know it's not all about energy, but I'm not sure what else to use as an objective measure.

This is all Hornady data (gasp, choke, avert your gaze in horror! Not Hornady!) but that's what I had handy. All relative to a 300g 375H&H at 2530fps:
upload_2019-6-27_14-54-20.png

And yes, I do have a tendency to over think things a bit....:D

Admittedly I haven’t read the entire thread , i am however of the opinion that the .416 is one of the best calibers for Bushveld hunting there is , i rate it superior to a .375

I shoot bullet weights from 300g , 340g , 350g and 400g

In my opinion no one is trying to talk you out of a 416.
I think this is not to place to do that. We must, as our duty. Talk you into one of course.
There is absolutely no such thing as not needing a 416.
Oh dear another person we have to train!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg