Talk me into or out of a Blaser r8

I have looked at these guns now for a couple of years. I have handled @Red Leg R8 Classic Sporter, which looks like a traditional rifle and I have been to Blaser USA showroom to look at theses fine firearms. Here are the three problems that I see with them in no particular order.
(1) plastic parts (2) future availability of plastic R8 parts when they break and Blaser is no longer making R8's. (3) The ability of having one gun in multiple calibers - if my wife ever found this out she would make me sell all my guns and buy this one.

Has someone got a pic of the R8 Classic sporter mentioned?

Has anyone ever given Strasser serious consideration? I know one shortfall is the selection of chambering available and I think the action size limits it to smaller rounds but I don’t mind the look of them online.

IMG_3094.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3094.jpg
    IMG_3094.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 103
Alright I need some opinions. I have begun to feel a little rifle heavy and am toying around with selling 3 or 4 of my bolt action hunting rifles and getting a blaser r8 professional with 300 win mag and 375 h&h barrels. I would put a z5 2.4-12 swarovski on the 300 barrel and a z6i 1-6 on the 375. Opinions please....

Perfect choices there. :A Clapping: :A Clapping: :A Clapping:

I own three Blaser R8's ranging from 223 rem right up to 458 lott and have never looked back, you will not regret your decision. (y)

Alright I need some opinions. I have begun to feel a little rifle heavy and am toying around with selling 3 or 4 of my bolt action hunting rifles and getting a blaser r8 professional with 300 win mag and 375 h&h barrels. I would put a z5 2.4-12 swarovski on the 300 barrel and a z6i 1-6 on the 375. Opinions please....
you wont be sorry, best rifle you may ever own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just get it , very accurate, great trigger, mounts are awesome, take down is very convenient and easy
calibres you chose are great together
here is some good advice....
"buy the best that you can afford"

I'm going to change my position from "definitely not going to talk someone out of a new gun" to absolutely buy one. If for your budget that means a synthetic stock version or a full custom, that's up to you. We got my wifes R8 yesterday and it's better than I expected...and I had high expectations. We went to a dealer an hour away and handled a synthetic one to check LOP etc a few weeks ago but that didnt prepare me for actually shooting one.

Trigger is amazing (glass rod break, virtually no overtravel, nice and light which is still safe for hunting due to their safety/decker design), ergonomics and balance are spot on, quality is what you would expect for the cost and then some, it was very flat and soft recoiling for full power 300WM with no muzzle device. On top of all that, the straight pull action is so easy and fast. Weather is no good here so we just shot off hand a couple times but I anticipate when I get it on paper it will be very accurate based in every other review of Blaser accuracy.

The way the barrel removes, it allow it to easily fit in a double bow case with the rifle and accessories on one level and a bow on the other. Gonna throw some fishing stickers on the case (which is much shorter than many rifle cases) and it makes it that much safer against opportunistic thieves.

Couldnt be happier, I anticipate owning more barrels for it than we planned on now lol

After reading how good the r8 is by a handful of rifle shots here for a few years I just sat back and didn't say a word simply because I never shot one before and without personal experience to say anything would make me nothing but an internet expert.

Last fall on my annual pilgrimage to the country of Texas to get my yippy-I-oh on for a month or so ,I asked around at a private club I am a social member of and a fella walked in and plunked a case down in front of me and told me to have fun.

Inside that case was one spectacular r8 ......engraved with lumber that I didn't know what it was. The gun was bought in Dallas and still had the receipt inside for 20k +.

I fired about 500 rounds and not any flaws. It pumped out all the 147 gr fmjbt rounds down range very accurately and the trigger was very nice. For those who "NEED" to spit more than one round down range to get the job done the only thing faster to do the chuckin' and a shuckin' is my 14.

It didn't break when I was using it.:A Banana:

Aftermarket barrels in pretty much any caliber are available one source being J Sip and Sons, the safari style are almost 1/3 the price of Blaser branded ones too. Will be ordering one in .416 to go with the 300WM for my wifes R8 (same mag insert and bolt)
Called them and I’m now lighter in the pocket. I have you to blame for this. Lol

How would my preference for different trigger weights go (say, lighter and heavier) if I was to get an R8 in .22-250 and .375H&H? Would I be looking at two separate trigger/magazine assemblies?

The trigger weight is the same regardless of caliber. The trigger group houses the magazines which are interchangeable. The magazines for shorter calibers have a bolt stop built into them which allows for proper feed and bolt throw.

Did I read that the triggers are three pounds? If so, this suits me fine on a .375H&H, but I’m not sure about this trigger weight in .22-250.

Did I read that the triggers are three pounds? If so, this suits me fine on a .375H&H, but I’m not sure about this trigger weight in .22-250.
I havent measured mine but I would be surprised if it was that high. If it is. It darn sure doesnt feel like it.

I'll measure it one day but I'm a competition shooter at a very high level and a trigger snob of sorts and I'd describe it as this:

Plenty light and crisp for the absolute most precise shot you care to attempt and safe enough for any sticky DG situation on the planet (with a responsible operator). That being said, if you want a 4 or 5 lb trigger for some reason, it might not be for you

Has anyone ever given Strasser serious consideration? I know one shortfall is the selection of chambering available and I think the action size limits it to smaller rounds but I don’t mind the look of them online.

Nope - it has the same identical action and capacity.

222904-b902c06f8852ec4d6d58b41aac804805.jpg

The hunting or standard trigger is 900 grams. That is approximately 1.9 lbs without a hint of creep. It is perfect.

You can also opt for ATZL trigger that has switch between 350g and 650g setting. Switch is in magazine but the insides of the receiver are also different so they aren’t interchangeable with normal trigger.

Nope - it has the same identical action and capacity.

222904-b902c06f8852ec4d6d58b41aac804805.jpg

The hunting or standard trigger is 900 grams. That is approximately 1.9 lbs without a hint of creep. It is perfect.
I’m jealous of the stock there. I have two of the plastic ones and just feel like it isn’t the same. I’m going to have to find a wooden one to join the cool club.

I’m jealous of the stock there. I have two of the plastic ones and just feel like it isn’t the same. I’m going to have to find a wooden one to join the cool club.
You have two R8's and are soon to have a 470CAPSTICK barrel.
I think your membership to the "cool club" is valid.

BTW - I'm only a member of the CC by marriage.
My wife is the one with the pretty wood.

The wooden stock above is quite different to the other kind of wooden stock on R8s that I’m more used-to seeing. Can someone tell me more about this stock? Name? Extra cost? Still available as an option?

The wooden stock above is quite different to the other kind of wooden stock on R8s that I’m more used-to seeing. Can someone tell me more about this stock? Name? Extra cost? Still available as an option?
It's called the R8 Classic Sporter.
I just pulled a photo using a Google search and clicked images.
It looks like Cove Creek Outfitters does offer it, but you would need to call to be sure.
Only made with the standard 17mm barrel options, so it only goes up to 375H&H.
Ironically, it looks like the image I pulled is from Cove Creek.
https://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/product/blaser-r8-classic-sporter-grade-7-right-hand/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.11.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.11.34 AM.png
    586.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.11.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.11.29 AM.png
    871 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.11.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.11.31 AM.png
    912.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.11.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.11.33 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 114

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg