Talk me into or out of a Blaser r8

I have looked at these guns now for a couple of years. I have handled @Red Leg R8 Classic Sporter, which looks like a traditional rifle and I have been to Blaser USA showroom to look at theses fine firearms. Here are the three problems that I see with them in no particular order.
(1) plastic parts (2) future availability of plastic R8 parts when they break and Blaser is no longer making R8's. (3) The ability of having one gun in multiple calibers - if my wife ever found this out she would make me sell all my guns and buy this one.

I have looked at these guns now for a couple of years. I have handled @Red Leg R8 Classic Sporter, which looks like a traditional rifle and I have been to Blaser USA showroom to look at theses fine firearms. Here are the three problems that I see with them in no particular order.
(1) plastic parts (2) future availability of plastic R8 parts when they break and Blaser is no longer making R8's. (3) The ability of having one gun in multiple calibers - if my wife ever found this out she would make me sell all my guns and buy this one.
Devils advocate (not trying to argue with you personally):

1) its 2020. Pretty much every LEO and soldier in the world trusts their life to plastic parts. A vast majority of Americans that carry a concealed weapon do as well. Why should a safari, even with DG, be different? These guns didnt come out last year, if their plastic designs or resins had issues you would be hearing about it

2) this goes for a LONG list of manufacturers that people take on safari all the time. Blaser is huge in Europe and have been around a while now. Swiss Arms owns SIG Sauer, Blaser, and several other brands. This argument is no more true for Blaser than it is for Remington, Winchester, or CZ. Actually, especially CZ. You're not worried about buying a 550 and finding parts in the future are you, even though they're discontinued?

3) This is why I handle the finances in my house :ROFLMAO: slightly more seriously, if she's not that into the hunting...she ain't gotta know it can change caliber. Or... "I NEED it cause it can shoot 2 (or 3 or 7) different bullets, BUT only those ones so yes I still need my other guns which are different (insert boring specifics till she gives in and tells you to shut up)":D

I have Blazer envy period!

@wesheltonj In my house I discovered that hunting purchases are balanced by furniture upgrades. So... buy the stock/receiver, disclose the price, and then try to sneak your opinion in on the furniture color.

With the R8 in a wood stock, isn’t the only plastic in the trigger/magazine? So buy two!

I own the R8 in several configurations and have now taken it to Africa twice for Buffalo and a meaningful amount of PG. It is, in my opinion, the finest production rifle in the world. It is supremely accurate, the ergonomics have to be felt to be appreciated, and no rifle in my experience, which is not inconsiderable, has a better trigger. You will never regret the investment.
I could not have said it better. And I was trying!

Consider Z8i for your 375HH barrel. I’ve got a 1-6 Leica on my R8 375 and there are times when I wouldn’t mind a bit of extra magnification. The Z6 and Z8 weigh pretty much the same so why limit yourself? The Z8i is available with switchable 4A-IF reticle which helps with fast shooting. Also IMO it’s worth going with rail mounted versions of the scopes vs ring mounted ones.
I do like and have used the switchable reticle. Its neat to use. I used it back and forth in Cameroon between the circle and just the dot.

I can solve your dilemma: buy the wood stock then you have no plastic parts! When do you predict Blaser stops making the R8? Hmmmm. I am not sure I will live that long but you never know!
I really love my Blasers and they have been so much fun. I have the third barrel ordered for mine.

@wesheltonj In my house I discovered that hunting purchases are balanced by furniture upgrades. So... buy the stock/receiver, disclose the price, and then try to sneak your opinion in on the furniture color.

With the R8 in a wood stock, isn’t the only plastic in the trigger/magazine? So buy two!

Wouldn’t a nice wooden stock classify as furniture?

I myself tried my best to stay away from Blaser as long as I could just because I know that once I buy one I will have to buy more.... I have my first Blaser coming into South Africa next month! :ROFLMAO:

I have had a lot of clients use them on plains game and dangerous game the last couple of years and they are great and accurate rifles. I yet have to see one fail while on safari....

Another thing I like about it is that I have a left handed bolt for mine so no more worries if a client would like to rent a rifle and he is left handed! In South Africa / Africa it is really hard to find a wide selection of left handed rifles so this makes life much easier for me!

Buy it sir, you will no be dissapointed! (y)

All my best,

Jacques

Devils advocate (not trying to argue with you personally):

1) its 2020. Pretty much every LEO and soldier in the world trusts their life to plastic parts. A vast majority of Americans that carry a concealed weapon do as well. Why should a safari, even with DG, be different? These guns didnt come out last year, if their plastic designs or resins had issues you would be hearing about it

2) this goes for a LONG list of manufacturers that people take on safari all the time. Blaser is huge in Europe and have been around a while now. Swiss Arms owns SIG Sauer, Blaser, and several other brands. This argument is no more true for Blaser than it is for Remington, Winchester, or CZ. Actually, especially CZ. You're not worried about buying a 550 and finding parts in the future are you, even though they're discontinued?

3) This is why I handle the finances in my house :ROFLMAO: slightly more seriously, if she's not that into the hunting...she ain't gotta know it can change caliber. Or... "I NEED it cause it can shoot 2 (or 3 or 7) different bullets, BUT only those ones so yes I still need my other guns which are different (insert boring specifics till she gives in and tells you to shut up)":D

Not trying to make an argument, but I shall respond.

(1) I am a dinosaur. I carry a Stainless Steel handgun, with a hammer. While on the days that I am working, my personal protection officer(s) do carry one those dishwasher safe handguns. I suspect, because because their departments have to purchase a lot of guns and they are cheaper. I will never carry any pistol that does have have a visible hammer. I am too old to see some tiny red dot to know if hot or not. Hammer back - hot, hammer down - not. A few year ago, at the range, while practicing the fast draw and fire, an officer shot himself in the leg with one of those dishwasher safe Glocks hitting the femoral artery. I attended the funeral, not pleasant.

(2) The Blaser R93 has been discontinued for the R8, how many more years before the R8 is replaced with the Rx? Easy enough to make metal parts, plastic not so much unless you happen to have the molds, or a #D printerbut can be done.

(3) I can hide the expense, however my wife can count and does count the number of guns in my closet. In fact, she is wanting me to sell her fathers firearms, I believe two Model 12's in 12 and 20 and a pre-64 Model 70 in 30.06 that was fired about 5 times (still have the first and only box of ammo). I am adverse to selling guns, but I did sell a Glock that I owned for 3 days.

My list of past rifles spans push-feed, CRF, Stainless, Carbon Steel, Synthetic and Wood...etc.
Now there is only one rifle in the vault...a Blaser R8.
We started the process of switching over the rifles to the R8 system at the end of 2019.
Should be completing the process by May of this year.

Notice I said "WE" and not "I".
The wife is fully on board with the plan.
Her Intuition is one of a few items we are still waiting on.

Handle at least a few of them and see what you think.
Even better, find one to shoot...you will not be disappointed.

Welcome to the Dark Side.

I know there are guys who really get excited about owning multiple guns, I'm no longer one of them. 7/8 of my safe hasn't been shot in years. I have even given up looking longingly at them and dreaming of shooting them. Now that I reach that point there are likely more years behind than in front of me, I pretty much only reach for the same (2) rifles. Oh, I admire some works of functional art but I've grown well into pragmatism.

The R8 is a terrific solution for me.

Just found yhis thread. My first comment would be ask Red Leg secondly nice choice of chamberings, ohh its all been said.
Im not opposed to having seperste rifles set up with preffered scope for a purpose bit im not doing the travel these guys are.
I endeavour to use them when i can. My spotlighting rifle is not my hunting rifle i have a couple of hunting rifles .308 and .375H&H for different purpose different models. Hoping on another .300wm

Real actual downside of R8 is it might be difficult to get parts for one after 20 years.

I have to ask, why would that be more difficult than any other mass produced gun today?
There are no shortage of R93 parts that i know of, execpt original Blaser barrels. But there are other manufacturers.
Maybe it would be difficult to get certain parts for the even older R84, but that rifle has in no way been produced in the numbers like the R93 and R8.

I have to ask, why would that be more difficult than any other mass produced gun today?
There are no shortage of R93 parts that i know of, execpt original Blaser barrels. But there are other manufacturers.
Maybe it would be difficult to get certain parts for the even older R84, but that rifle has in no way been produced in the numbers like the R93 and R8.
Maybe I could have worded it better, it is a risk involved with any special design, maybe not terribly prominent one nor something that would outweigh the advantages of R8. Any competent gunsmith can repair a Remington 700, Tikka T3 or any Mauser action, rebarrel one or manufacturer spares. With R8 I wouldn't count on finding a gunsmith to reconstruct the insides of the bolt carrier if they wear out some day and Blaser either doesn't exist or tries to sell me RXX instead.

Maybe I could have worded it better, it is a risk involved with any special design, maybe not terribly prominent one nor something that would outweigh the advantages of R8. Any competent gunsmith can repair a Remington 700, Tikka T3 or any Mauser action, rebarrel one or manufacturer spares. With R8 I wouldn't count on finding a gunsmith to reconstruct the insides of the bolt carrier if they wear out some day and Blaser either doesn't exist or tries to sell me RXX instead.
I get your point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross