Tactical scopes for Dangerous Game and "boomers"

I would not buy that scope for a hunting rifle. I have no first hand knowledge or experience with that brand, but wouldn’t trust it on a hunt. Maybe on a range toy AR. Nothing with any recoil.

For the folks with little experience with FFP reticles, take a look at these pictures. This is from a NF NX8. With any new gear, you need to put in a little time at the range and see if it will work for you. At 1x, it is Quick to get on target, and cranked up, it will provide longer range accuracy.

D6EB19EB-C2A0-4605-806E-91A8DAED2C93.jpeg
74905E4A-CD3E-46D8-B2F0-A50E07E9AAD8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup that’s the one. Scope should be stout enough
I have fired a few .50s including the .50 Barrett (older one). With the muzzle brake and the extra weight the recoil is a lot less than a .375. So, the scope does not need to be that robust. However, your hearing protection does need to be. ;)

I just don't get the "why" on these reticles. On a designated sniper rifle with a military issued spotter along - sure - particularly for true long range engagement. But on a 1x8 power scope - for hunting?!? I can't even come up with the tactical scenario (and I spent much of my career professionally studying tactical scenarios), much less a hunting one, for this sort of combination. I mean are those little left to right indices to deal with hurricane force winds on a sub-300 meter shot or for establishing proper lead on a speeding Toyota technical or explosive laden drone employed by Al Shabaab interfering with a LDE hunt? And why on earth combine all that with a ballistic turret?

Last edited:
I just don't get the "why" on these reticles. On a designated sniper rifle with a military issued spotter along - sure - particularly for true long range engagement. But on a 1x8 power scope - for hunting?!? I can't even come up with the tactical scenario (and I spent much of my career professionally studying tactical scenarios), much less a hunting one, for this sort of combination. I mean are those little left to right indices to deal with hurricane force winds on a sub-300 meter shot or for establishing proper lead on a Toyota technical or explosive laden drone employed by the Al Shabaab interfering with a LDE hunt? And why on earth combine all that with a ballistic turret?
This made me laugh pretty hard.

I agree these reticles are not needed in a hunting scenario.

I just don't get the "why" on these reticles. On a designated sniper rifle with a military issued spotter along - sure - particularly for true long range engagement. But on a 1x8 power scope - for hunting?!? I can't even come up with the tactical scenario (and I spent much of my career professionally studying tactical scenarios), much less a hunting one, for this sort of combination. I mean are those little left to right indices to deal with hurricane force winds on a sub-300 meter shot or for establishing proper lead on a Toyota technical or explosive laden drone employed by the Al Shabaab interfering with a LDE hunt? And why on earth combine all that with a ballistic turret?
I hear ya, I like a #4 reticle all the way and prefer it for hunting. But there aren't as many options out there for 1-6,1-8, 1-10x scopes currently. The "Tacitcool" crowd and Mil/LE contracts dictates our consumption options...

I just don't get the "why" on these reticles. On a designated sniper rifle with a military issued spotter along - sure - particularly for true long range engagement. But on a 1x8 power scope - for hunting?!? ...

I have used the vertical reticle marks for hunting, windage not so much. My Leica 1-10X had the marks and here was the dope I had developed for it.

Also, the military scopes seem to be the most robust among the bunch.

The retail price between the Swaro Z8i and NF Atacr are the same. However, Sports Optics had a special that saved me about $400 and Swaro was NOT available anywhere at the time.

1639861112061.png

Last edited:
I have used the vertical reticle marks for hunting, windage not so much. My Leica 1-10X had the marks and here was the dope I had developed for it.

Also, the military scopes seem to be the most robust among the bunch.

View attachment 442405
I use the reticle for hold over for everything. I never dial unless I’m playing with load development or don’t want to lose sight picture .
This is the reticle on the razor amg . I didn’t like it when I first got it. I normally don’t like christmas trees , but my eyes have gotten very used to the sight picture and i don’t mind it as much.

50EBB805-4B0E-42A7-88D9-FEAD74F4D1DF.jpeg

For a hunting scope at normal hunting ranges ...................

1639862841362.png

God bless the German No. 4!

On my last hunt with the 9.3x74R I had a ballistic turret sighted in at 50 meters for Leopard. Plains game I used for bait was shot at up to 150+ meters. If I did not have the BT scope I would have had to use a ballistic reticle scope and hold over for bait as I needed to be real precise for the leopard.

I definitely would not have gone for a neck shot on the leopard if my scope was sighted to be X inches over in order to be able to hit the bait up to 200 yards (distance told me by the outfitter for max range for bait animals). The 9.3 is not a flat shooting cartridge.

Now, upcoming Zambia hunt for Sable and Lechwe, no issues as I will be using .300 RUM, a real flat shooting cartridge. Though I will use a Z6i 3-18x52 Ballistic Turret scope just because I have it. However, it is not needed for that cartridge.

rule #1, dont go cheap on a scope. rule #2, a clean reticle. rule #3, if scoping a DG rifle, minimum power of 1 or 1.5 just in case things get a little more intimate than planned. no 3-9s or anything like that. i also prefer a lighted center dot as in my humble opinion, offers a slightly quicker shot.

low power scope for DG for sure. its safer, and shooting DG at distance is a tragedy because one misses the very essence of hunting DG. by stalking up close to guarantee a well placed shot. the thrill of getting close to something big and/or nasty that can easily flip a switch and have cruel intentions toward the hunter is the true essence of DG hunting. for anyone planning their first DG hunt, dont cheat yourself out of this thrill by having a large power scope and shooting at distance. my 2 cents.

i remember my stalk to get close on the brooks range griz (pic in my profile) like it was yesterday. i had to remind myself to breathe. what an experience.

View attachment 442408

God bless the German No. 4!
ROTFL
I agree, but they are getting farther and fewer between on the production line.

The Zeiss # 4 is near perfection to me, same for S&B’s. Swarovski’s illuminated #4, Leupold had a good one also.
I prefer the tighter reticle window opening and rather substantial posts.

I see my question has touched off quite a response. :)

That said, I honestly was wondering whether the dot and donut type sights made target acquisition quicker.

That said, I honestly was wondering whether the dot and donut type sights made target acquisition quicker.
My simple minded preference is just a dot for game animals. I can see the circle having an application for zombie shooting.
I don’t find the circle an advantage and actually is a slight annoyance to me.

ROTFL
I agree, but they are getting farther and fewer between on the production line.

The Zeiss # 4 is near perfection to me, same for S&B’s. Swarovski’s illuminated #4, Leupold had a good one also.
I prefer the tighter reticle window opening and rather substantial posts.
a low power #4 with a lighted center dot is DG scope perfection in my opinion.

we are a passionate lot lol. that being said, to address your original question, a plain duplex, or german #4. no circles, mil dots, etc. i dont need my scope to do my taxes. nice and clean and simple. my humble 2 cents. happy hunting!

On my elephant guns I have a red dot with the donut and I really like it.

Personally I’d take a dot over a donut while hunting.

I have a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 on order that’s going on my 375 Ultra mag. Since it has some range I wanted to be able to dial for longer shots on elk or plains game. I’m used to their reticles so it doesn’t bother me. Zero concern about the Nightforce holding up to the recoil.

I have a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 on order that’s going on my 375 Ultra mag. Since it has some range I wanted to be able to dial for longer shots on elk or plains game. I’m used to their reticles so it doesn’t bother me. Zero concern about the Nightforce holding up to the recoil.
Recommend putting that scope in a set of quality QD rings so you can switch to iron sights (assuming you have them). Talley, Warne and Alaska Arms are good brands to start with.

Like to see a picture of your rifle. Not a lot of 375RUM's out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg