Stoeger Coach

If you use shotshells in a rifled shotgun barrel, the spin imparted to the wad will disperse the shot in an uneven and unpredictable pattern rendering it nearly useless at all but the closest of range. See the video below.

Rifled shotgun barrels are made to be used with sabot slugs. Smooth bore shotgun barrels are made to be used with rifled shotgun slugs or shotshells. Using rifled shotgun slugs in a rifled barrel will have you cleaning lead out of your rifling for a very long time. This will essentially turn the rifled barrel into a smoothbore in as few as five shots depending on the load used with accuracy getting worse and worse.

Addl: Coach Guns & Clays don't normally complement each other. If someone's really throwing them, I have to shoot fast, or it's gone.

But shotguning 101: I still don't quite understand what Gil is talking about .. perhaps another thread. Curious if he's making sense to others? Many Thanks.

Addl: Coach Guns & Clays don't normally complement each other. If someone's really throwing them, I have to shoot fast, or it's gone.

But shotguning 101: I still don't quite understand what Gil is talking about .. perhaps another thread. Curious if he's making sense to others? Many Thanks.
What Gil is talking about is that your eyes can only focus on one thing at at time, and it needs to be the target. Having a consistent gun mount will place the shotgun where it needs to be and the barrel will be in your blurred peripheral vision. Then it's a matter of pulling the trigger with the appropriate lead for the speed, distance and trajectory of the target.

This is something that can be learned and better results have come with instruction by a professional like Gil and his wife Vicki Ash. They operate a shotgun shooting school in Texas and by all accounts is one of the best in the world. In addition to this they provide articles to Safari Magazine (SCI's bi-monthly periodical) for the shotgun sports.

This is probably not the right thread for this but if it gets you interested and out shooting, I'm all for it.

What Gil is talking about is that your eyes can only focus on one thing at at time, and it needs to be the target. Having a consistent gun mount will place the shotgun where it needs to be and the barrel will be in your blurred peripheral vision. Then it's a matter of pulling the trigger with the appropriate lead for the speed, distance and trajectory of the target.

This is something that can be learned and better results have come with instruction by a professional like Gil and his wife Vicki Ash. They operate a shotgun shooting school in Texas and by all accounts is one of the best in the world. In addition to this they provide articles to Safari Magazine (SCI's bi-monthly periodical) for the shotgun sports.

This is probably not the right thread for this but if it gets you interested and out shooting, I'm all for it.
"you diluted that", clarity. Many thanks!

The fascinating world of Shotgun's .. endless.

@Daniel Cary unless you’re bird hunting in a Closet - no advantage to a 20” barrel shotgun and you’ll never see one in a Sporting Clays or Skeet competition….I’d say they have a place but it’s not Outdoors anymore - unless riding on a Stagecoach!
You’ve failed to consider the home defense shotgun, the one taken on your elk hunt in grizzly country kept in your tent or camper just in case, and the just plain fun gun for squirrels up close. Personally, I find a youth model 11-87 20ga, with a longer stock, screw in choke, to be a lot of fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martlee

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?