AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
PA, OH, NM, ND, AL, FL, MD; Spain, EC/KZN/MP South Africa, Zimbabwe x 2, Mozambique, Cameroon
Spain: Ibex, Mouflon and Stag with ADICTOSACAZAR

The wife and I returned on 9 Dec from a hunting and sightseeing trip in Spain hunting Beceite and Sierra Nevada Ibex, Red Stag and Mouflon. As with my past reports, I’ll provide some of the details up front. If you want hunting pics, scroll down!

Operator/Guide: Martin Rodriguez of Adictosacazar – addicted to hunting! Assisted by local guides depending upon the area we hunted.

Areas hunted: Salobre, Valencia and Andujar

Flight Reservations: Since we did not take our own firearms, I booked directly with Delta over and over and over again due to flight cancellations and flight itinerary changes.

Firearms Used: Browning semi-auto 300 WinMag, Blaser R8 8x68s and Steyr 270 WSM. All rifles outfitted with high end Swarovski optics.

Targeted Animals: Ibex, Mouflon, Iberian Red Stag and Wild Boar (chance)

Preface:

I reached out to Martin Rodriguez this time last year, December of 2020, after seeing an advertisement for an Ibex hunt. We exchanged emails and text messages for a few weeks and came up with plan for hunting and sightseeing. The hunt expanded to include an additional Ibex, a Mouflon for my wife, Michelle, and Martin made a great offer on a Silver Medal Iberian Red Stag on a 5-star estate near Andujar that I couldn’t refuse. We were going to be the first hunters from the USA with him in Spain!

With the ground work laid out, dates and animals agreed upon, a deposit was sent in January to reserve 1-7 December for hunting with a couple days of sightseeing in Madrid. We left Florida on 30 Nov arriving early the morning on the 1st of December, departing Madrid on 9 December for the trip home.

Since we were not bringing our own firearms, I elected to purchase our airline tickets directly with Delta as they had a direct flight from Atlanta to Madrid. Perfect, one short hop to Atlanta and we would we be in Spain in no time! Wrong. Delta cancelled the ATL to MAD direct flight and we ended up routing from ATL through JFK to MAD. Great, another leg for something to go wrong as well as adding additional time while wearing masks. There were at least 4 different flight changes requiring me to call Delta and work out the flight times/logistics. The last Delta agent I spoke with was a huge help and ended up routing us on Air France from MAD to CDG to ATL, but also upgraded us to Premium Economy, a big step up from Delta Comfort+! The only issue that had me concerned was the short layover in CDG of 1 hr 25min.

Entry into Spain is a breeze as we are both fully vaccinated, a quick visit to the Spain travel website, upload pictures of our VAX cards and we received a QR code for entry. Simple! On the other hand, POTUS changed the rules to return to the USA from having a COVID test within 72 hours to 24 hours and we also had to fill out an absolutely useless COVID attestation form. Government oversight and bureaucracy at its finest. As we all know, the window dressing of limiting flights from African countries and requiring testing within 24 hours of departure DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prevent omicron from spreading as it was already in the States as well as crossing the southern border unabated. As it turns out, the 24-hour test window wasn’t an issue as we tested the day before departure around noon and had results in about 4 hours. Let’s get on with the report!

Day 0, departure from the States on 30 Nov 2021:

We arrive at the Pensacola airport early and proceed to the Delta check-in, the Delta agent looks up our final destination and travel restrictions and tells us we can’t travel there, it’s closed! I ask her to continue reading the restrictions off her screen and assure her we are able to enter. A little assistance with reading comprehension and we were good to go. To be fair, the agent had to turn away a couple passengers that were attempting to fly to Japan which had just closed its borders. Nothing like getting the blood pressure up first thing in the morning!

A couple of other notes. One: don’t eat at the Burrito place in JFK Terminal 2, it was awful! Two: all the Foreign money exchanges in Atlanta are CLOSED, all of them. We were able to exchange USD for Euro @ JFK. Worst case we could exchange once we reached Madrid.

On our way (2).jpg

Headed to Madrid
shut eye (2).jpg

Michelle getting some shut-eye on the flight

Day 1, Ibex hunt on 1 Dec: I’ve hardly slept a wink on the flight and as we approach Madrid the sun is rising and it looks cold out there with snow capped peaks in the distance! Good thing Michelle and I had packed some cold weather gear as the forecast was for snow at the higher elevations.

sunrise snow capped mtns (2).jpg

Sunrise on approach to Madrid

We arrived in Madrid after a relatively short seven-hour flight (compared to flying to Africa) from JFK and Martin has all the paperwork in order. We we set off on the three-hour drive to the small town of Salobre in his Mercedes SUV.

Our first taste of Spanish cuisine, a welcome change from Delta’s awful food!

Breakfast in Spain (2).JPG

What an awesome breakfast, welcome to SPAIN!

Since we cleared customs and health checks so quickly at the airport, I asked Martin if we would have enough time to start hunting today! Martin was able to arrange a few hours of Ibex hunting in the afternoon as we detoured to pick up an Ibex ear tag before arriving in Salobre.​

ibex country (2).jpg

Ibex Country

Salobre sign (2).jpg

We have arrived in Salobre!

Olives (2).jpg

Olives on the tree

Ribera de salobre (2).jpg

Hostel – Ribera de Salobre
The hostel is run by a husband and wife that spoke very very little English, but Martin was always there as our interpreter! The hostel was positively charming with a small dining area and bar, unbeknownst to us at check-in, this would be one of the highlights of many for the trip! Some pictures of the dining bar area to follow.

Dining area 1 (2).jpg

Dining area 2 (2).jpg

Bar (2).jpg

Olives on bar (2).jpg

Dining and Bar Area
There were less than 15 rooms total if my memory is correct, relatively small but clean and certainly adequate for the short time we would be in the room! Each room contained a small table, closet, and an attached bathroom with tub/shower.

Room (2).jpg

Our Room

We haul or bags up to our room and dress for hunting, we are meeting downstairs around 3 so we have an hour or so to prepare. I’ve brought along a spotting scope, tripod and phone adapter expecting we could use it as well as Michelle’s Olympus 150mm lens to evaluate trophies. I also purchased a Stone Glacier Avail 2200 pack to haul the extra camera lens and batteries in addition to the spotter and tripod. I’m also trying out Stone Glacier’s De Havilland Pant this trip. There will be some photos of the pack set-up coming up soon.

There is snow and ice in the high peaks where we are planning on hunting this afternoon and there is deliberation if we can even access the area. Anticipation is high as we head up into the hills and meet up with a local guide, transfer into his 4x4 and head up a dirt track gaining altitude at each switchback. The patches of snow are growing until we can go no further as the road is covered with ice and snow from a recent storm. We are not hunting the National Parks but private free range land.

snow covered slopes (2).jpg

Snow coverage is greater the higher we go

End of road (2).jpg

End of the Road
We are careful as the road is covered in icy spots as we carefully walk up the steep incline trying to stay upright, it is the first few minutes of the first day!

Time to walk (2).jpg

Time to walk!

We top out at the top of the hill and are engulfed in a cold wet fog with howling winds strong enough to make our outer layers ripple and the pack straps snap from the wind. The crunchy snow is 2+ inches deep in the windblown areas and drifted deeper around the rocks and sparse trees.

Top of road fog.JPG

Topping out!

Selfie x3.JPG

This is fun, right?

The plan is to head across the tops, crest the next hills and look for Ibex feeding on some wind swept meadows. It’s brutal, the crusty snow, wind and cold fog creating a surreal landscape. We climb some steep ridges and find the alpine meadows without snow and also without Ibex. Martin translates the guides attempts to tell us this is where the big guys hang out! We come across a wild boar track in the snow, the spacing between the prints is large. I find it interesting a boar would be so high up at the very top of the mountain.

Boar track (2).JPG

Boar Track

The wind at top of the highest peaks is just brutal, we keep walking the spine of the ridge hoping to stumble onto an Ibex in the limited visibility. The phone has logged over 10,000 steps for the day.

Fog at the top pack pic (2).JPG

Top of the mountain

open meadow no ibex (3).JPG

Reached the open alpine meadow...no Ibex

spine of ridge (2).jpg

Hunting!

This was a great way to stretch the legs after the flight and 3 hour drive but will be feeling it in the morning! The weather forecast is for additional high winds and snow accumulations, Martin is putting a new plan together for day 2 as this area will have more of the same.

On our drive out at dark, a medal class fallow stag walked across the road in front of us and as he climbed a small hill and was sky lined, one of those fleeting moments that is imprinted on your brain forever. Martin commented he has never seen a fallow on this road and as we come around the next corner a couple of hinds and a smaller stag were standing in the road!

Dinner that night at the Hostel was fresh green olives, cheese and thin sliced ham with pan seared pork as the main. We were so hungry and tired we only have limited pictures of dinner, very unlike us!

pork cutlets day 1.jpg

Pan Seared Pork Cutlets
Time for bed, departure to new hunting area is 0515!

Attachments

• On our way (2).jpg
    On our way (2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 128
  • Boar track.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 161
  • Fog at the top pack pic.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 164
  • open meadow no ibex.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 165
  • Delicious cheese and ham (2).jpg
    Delicious cheese and ham (2).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 159
  • open meadow no ibex (2).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 118
  • open meadow no ibex (2).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Great start. Keep it coming.
Bruce

Day 2 - Glassing, Eating and Ibex Hunting!

Up early in anticipation of a new day hunting! I head downstairs around 0500 as Michelle is finishing putting together her gear for the day. I was able to convey the desire for a cup of coffee to the proprietor with milk and sugar!

IMG_2128 (2).jpg

Fresh cup of coffee

Where is Martin? Ahhh, he’s played the “meet at 0515” to make sure we are out by 0530 trick! I’m the “if you’re not early your late” kind of guy. Martin and Michelle arrive in the lobby and we have a quick bite of toast and head to Danny’s house, a different guide than we had yesterday. Danny is a business partner with Martin and is the main guide, the guide we used yesterday was a “replacement” as Danny wasn’t available.

The rain and wind we heard last night has blown through and the temperature has dropped to just above freezing in the valley. I could only imagine what the mountain top we hunted yesterday would have been like!

The plan is to head northeast about 3 hours to hunt Beceite Ibex near Valencia. Martin and Danny explained we would be hunting from citrus orchards and looking for Ibex in the surrounding hills. Well, I’ve never hunted in a citrus orchard so this was going to be a first! Two hours into the trip it was time for a bio and breakfast break near Albacete.

I couldn’t help myself and had Martin order a bunch of different plates! Pig ears, fried cheese, fried chicken, croissants and of course a couple of coffees. If you are in Spain, you must try the pig ears, even Michelle went back for a 2nd and 3rd piece!

IMG_0794.JPG

Breakfast of Champions!

You are really wondering about those pig ear pieces, well here’s a close-up! They were very tasty but also quite rich from the fat and cartilage. When you are in Spain, eat as the Spanish do!

Pig ears IMG_0789 (6).jpg

Pig ear pieces

The restaurant also sold different brands of cured pig legs and varieties of honey.

IMG_0774 (2).jpg

Cured legs and honey for sale

We arrive at the citrus farm and begin glassing the hillsides for Ibex. The weather is much warmer, imagine the Mediterranean helped moderate the cold as well as a great climate for Valencia oranges!
Orange grove IMG_0789 (4).jpg

Citrus in the valley, Ibex in the hills, somewhere!

Oranges IMG_0789 (5).JPG

Lots of oranges!

We climb out of Danny’s Land Rover Discovery and spot a female Ibex on the cliff above us, the first Ibex we have seen! We ask Michelle if she would like to shoot her as she is old and alone, probably dry. Martin had offered a female Ibex for free as part of our agreement, Michelle passed. It was still early in the morning and hopefully we would spot a nice male Ibex.

Ibex on the cliff IMG_1996 (2).JPG

Up high on the cliff face, our first Ibex

Old Ibex female IMG_0789 (3).JPG

Old dry female

We work our way up through orchard scanning the hills and find some young males hanging out.

Young males IMG_2044 (2).JPG

Young males keeping tabs on the hunters

Females and young IMG_2003 (2).JPG

Females

After glassing the surrounding hills without seeing anything of size, we climbed one of the hills to access a big open valley we were unable to see from the orchard valley.

Enjoying the warm sunshine IMG_0786 (2).jpg

Taking in the warm rays

Hidden Valley IMG_0800 (2).JPG

We made it to the top with the hidden valley behind us

Martin spotted a couple of Ibex and Michelle was able to get a picture with her camera and zoom in, female with her young one. The wind was gusting from the storm front that had pushed through earlier, where did the older males disappear?

Bedded Ibex IMG_2013 (2).JPG

Hidden valley – can you find the Ibex

Cropped bedded Ibex IMG_2014 (2).JPG

Ibex bedded out of wind

We stayed up on top of hill glassing but nothing was moving. Off in the distance you could see Valencia and the Mediterranean ocean.

Valencia and med in the distance (2).JPG

Valencia and the Mediterranean off in the distance

Time for lunch and we made our way back down the hill and off to a restaurant that was only 15 minutes away. Lunch of chips, sandwiches, calamari and mushrooms. Life is good!

appetizers IMG_0802 (2).JPG

Sandwich IMG_0792 (2).jpg

Lunch!

After more than our fill of lunch, back to the orchard looking for a mature male. We walked and glassed and drove to different areas and glassed but no older males to be found.

IMG_1948 (2).jpg

Sampling the Valencia oranges right off the tree!

Climbing Ibex IMG_2036 (2).JPG

Up the rock face IMG_2051 (2).JPG

We watched a group of Ibex climb vertical clay banks and rocks, such sure footing!

Young Ram IMG_2068 (2).JPG

Another youngster needing a few more years to grow

It was not to be today but that’s hunting! A long drive back to Salobre but dinner was excellent once again, as well as the wine!

Squash Soup IMG_0806 (2).jpg

Squash soup with small pieces of bacon

Caprese Salad IMG_0808 (2).jpg

Caprese salad

Bacon egg mushroom plate IMG_0809 (2).jpg

Egg, mushroom and bacon plate

Deboned seared chicken and chips IMG_0811 (2).jpg

Deboned seared chicken and chips

That was a lot of food today, but the weather is clear for tomorrow and we are headed back up to the top of the mountain that was fogged in Day 1. As you will see for Day 3, we will need every calorie from today!

Last edited:
Nice write up, bucket list trip added to the list.

Day 3 – Hunt for Ibex continues

We are headed back up to the high mountains we hunted in the fog on Day 1. We were in Danny’s Land Rover Discovery which was able to crawl up the icy road to the top. The sun is just breaking over the horizon, -1C so not terribly cold but when we stepped outside the wind was a steady 20 mph with gusts that about take you off your feet!

The storm from the previous day must have been a frozen mixture as there was a thick icy crust on top of the snow, walking was difficult as you would break through the crust. When climbing any slope, you needed to smash your boot toe forward to break through the ice for sure footing.

We make our way up to a high peak for a peek over the other side. The sun just hitting the crest of the ridge.

Sun hitting peak IMG_0839 (2).jpg

Sun touching the top of the ridge

We nestle in over the crest and there is no warming sun here, just the full brunt of the icy wind. But what a magnificent view!

View from vantage IMG_0842 (2).jpg

Amazing view from our vantage

You don’t want to slip as it’s a long way down! It’s miserable without the sun and cold wind finding any crack in your outer layers. Michelle bails out after a few minutes to wait over the crest where it’s less windy and the warming sun makes it bearable. The trees and land are covered in an icy mixture, beautiful but bone chilling.

Frozen IMG_2261 (2).JPG

Frozen

Sticking it out with Danny IMG_2260 (2).JPG

Sticking it out with Danny!

Another 5 minutes passes and Martin joins Michelle leaving myself and Danny as the lone spotters. I figured we were going to walk a lot this morning and didn’t put a layer under the Stone Glacier pants, but they did a great job fending off the wind and cold. We, check that, Danny spots some ibex 1000 meters away and I head back over the crest to don my Kuiu puffy vest and grab my tripod, spotting scope and Phone Skope attachment for my iphone.

I was able to set up the spotter and grab a few pictures through the iphone. The wind was buffering us terribly and I had a hard time getting a clear photo but notice a nice ibex ram from the shadow his horns cast on the snow. The group of ibex were out feeding on a sunny slope where there wasn’t as much snow and ice as well as blocked from the brutal wind.

Ibex ram distance IMG_0855 (2).jpg

Ibex ram through spotter at 1000 meters

Danny wanted to stay here as long as we could hold out as he was sure we would see some ibex on the opposite ridge, the question was could we stand being out here exposed to the wind. It wasn’t five minutes later and sure enough, Danny spots some female ibex where he said they would be! He points them out to me and I pick them up in my Zeiss binoculars. We watched two females for awhile but couldn’t locate a male. Being the rut, we were sure one was in the vicinity but we both were getting very cold. I mentioned the meadows on the top of the next hill were free of snow and ice two days ago and we decided to head that way and check them for ibex and warm ourselves up a bit in the process!

We collect Michelle and Martin who are “sunbathing” on the sunny side of the hill and head back down the hill and begin crossing a saddle to climb the next ridge when Danny and Martin stop and begin to glass the hillside where we had spotted the females. The different viewing angle made a big difference and sure enough they locate a male. We are over 450 meters away so I break out the spotter and tripod, as they want a closer look.

He’s a shooter! But we are too far away and the wind blowing towards us was just as brutal as it was earlier, maybe worse as it was coming through the saddle. I had booked a “representative” Ibex with no guarantee of it being medal class. Since it was the rut I thought I would take my chances on finding a medal class ibex, and it was much much cheaper! Martin’s clients the previous week were able to take a beautiful silver medal in the general vicinity we were hunting. I was able to pull a few stills from the video through the spotter. The wind played havoc with getting a clear photo.

Target Ibex IMG_0913 (3).png

Ibex target 2 IMG_0914 (2).png

Target Ibex 3 IMG_0915 (2).png

Ibex we are targeting

We make a plan, Danny and I are going to reverse our course and climb back up to the crest we just descended to see if we can find the ibex and if we can take a shot. Huffing and puffing back up, we set up on the crest but a bit more to the right to give us a better view of the face of the hill than we had earlier. Danny quickly spots the females and then locates the male. Danny ranges with his Leica and its 330 meters, Danny asks if I can make the shot. My reply is yes, as we set up the rifle on his pack and dial for elevation. With the steep angle, he dials in 250m vs 330 and I crank the scope power up a bit.

On the rifle IMG_0972 (2).JPG

On the rifle

I’m watching the ibex through the scope feeding and he finally turns somewhat broadside, angling uphill and an angle towards me. Probably the best shot position possible, I hold for wind in front of the chest and break the trigger on the Blaser R8 and awkwardly rack the bolt as it’s on the left side and I’m right-handed. The picture below is from a much better angle than I had from my position.

right before shot IMG_0917 (2).png

Ibex before the shot

Danny yells hit as I watch the ibex stumble and tumble down the steep slope, stops for a second and I have a solid visual and steady hold and squeeze to anchor him and … CLICK!!!

I rack another round and the Ibex appears to fall down a chute and I lose sight. We check the last round and the firing pin indent is light.

We watch for a while and see no additional movement. The hit was too far back and broke the spine. I should have held further in front for the wind gusting though the mountain pass.

It wasn’t until I ejected the dud round that I even realized I hadn’t asked the rifle caliber. After seeing the RWS factory load, you could see the bullet wasn’t of a high ballistic coefficient, more like a flying ash tray!

The RWS Kegelspitz bullet has a ballistic coefficient of .31, and with a factory rated muzzle velocity of 3100 fps has a drift of 2 to 3 feet with 20 - 30 + mph winds. I should have held two feet in from the Ibex.

8x68S KS 180  bulletIMG_1036 (2).jpg

180 gr Kegelsptiz bullet

8x68s IMG_1037 (2).jpg

8x68s

Very unlike me as a rifleman that is always running velocities, ballistic coefficients, drops and drift. Next time my own rifle and verified loads are coming with me!

Martin and Michelle had stayed back at the saddle and were trying to video the hunt. The buffeting wind made the video hard to watch but verified the hit was far back and broke the spine. Discussion ensued, should we press and see if we can find the ibex now or give it some time to hopefully expire.

If we press too quickly, we could force the Ibex off a cliff or into a deep crevasse and make it impossible to recover. It would also be good to gain some altitude on the next peak to see if we can better define where the ibex tumbled and pick a possible path to and across the mountain to reach the area we suspect the ibex has gone. A picture directly across from the mountainside where I believe the shot (red dot) and resting place (yellow) of the ibex. This recovery won’t be easy!

Ibex mountside IMG_0888 (2)_LI.jpg

Mountainside with initial shot and crevice where ibex tumbled
From the pictures we have, Martin and Danny believe the Ibex is a Beceite. This area has mostly Sierran Nevada but they do find a Beceite Ibex here also. Since we have a second Ibex tag for Sierra Nevade we decide to press on up to the next peak to check out the high alpine meadows we came across on day 1.

Danny and Martin heading to next peak IMG_0876 (2).jpg

Headed up to the next peak with Danny and Martin

Baby its cold outside IMG_0883 (2).jpg

Baby its cold outside, the wind was relentless

I didn’t realize it, but Michelle wasn’t just cold but was apprehensive about climbing up to the top of the next peak.

The going is steep and slippery with the ice encrusted snow and a severe drop on the side. Even though Michelle had climbed the same path two days earlier, the fog hid the steepness and it certainly was not as icy as today. She snaps a few pictures before her acrophobia kicks in and she freezes on the side of the hill.

Almost to the top IMG_0979 (2).png
Martin and I ascending the last few meters of the next peak

I tried explaining to her to not look down, we are almost there, you climbed this same hillside on day 1 in the fog but she had gone into lock-down. I asked Martin to take her back to the truck and Danny and I would press on and meet them back at the truck for lunch. She was happy to get off the side of the mountain and take pictures!

Ice covered tree IMG_2275 (2).JPG

Ice covered tree

my lady IMG_2143 (2).jpg

My lady!

As Martin was extricating Michelle off the steep hillside, I was able to snap a great photo of where the shot took place (Red dot) to the Ibex (yellow dot). Danny and I also discussed the most likely path we would take to retrieve the Ibex. We would climb back up to the other peak, cross the saddle and then descend to below the yellow dot where we believed the Ibex had come to a rest. It wasn’t going to be easy!

shot to ibex IMG_0889_LI.jpg
Shot to ibex, view from opposite peak

The previous day’s storm has covered the favored grassy meadows and drifted the snow quite deep in places. We are able to spot a few more Ibex on the backside of the mountain but nothing quite old enough but some spectacular views. A few pictures from around the mountain top to follow:

Snow drifts IMG_0921 (2).jpg

Drifted Snow

backside of mtn ibex IMG_0920 (2).jpg

Backside of mountain, there are ibex down below by the tree!

Bring some good boots IMG_0909 (2).jpg

Bring some good mountain boots, Wife and I used Kenetrek

Danny and I searching for Ibex IMG_0895 (2).jpg

Danny and I searching for Ibex

have to climb back up IMG_0904 (2).jpg

Backside of mountain and have to climb again

Mtn view 1 IMG_0899 (2).jpg

View 2 IMG_2266 (2).JPG

View 3 IMG_0896 (2).jpg

Amazing views from the top

We head back to the Land Rover and have some lunch before heading out to search for the Ibex. I find some graffiti in the snow…if you read my 2018 Zim report you will understand!

love IMG_0923 (2).jpg

LOVE

Lunch IMG_2166 (2).jpg

Lunch

Michelle stays back as the three of us begin the journey wondering when she will see us again!

Will i ever see them again IMG_2172 (2).jpg

Skylined before we plunge over the other side
It’s treacherous in places, especially under the pines where the ice is thick on top of the snow, using tuffs of grass and short scrub poking through as stepping points when able.

crossed saddle IMG_0925 (2).jpg

Made it down and across the saddle to steep hillside

It takes over an hour to climb off the ridge, cross the saddle to the next ridge and descend down onto the side of the hill. We continue on around the hill, crossing steep vertical spines and I finally find blood where the Ibex descended downhill, he is still alive and a final shot is required, after another dreaded “click”.
Heading down to Ibex IMG_1455 (2).jpg

Heading down last few yards to Ibex

It’s getting darker by the minute down in the steep valley, some quick pictures and Martin and Danny tag team the caping out the ram. My first impression was the Ibex are much smaller than I initially thought as I say thanks to him. Beautiful animal that will be honored as a shoulder mount.

The Beceite Ibex IMG_1467 (2).jpg

The Beceite Ibex

down view IMG_0974 (2).JPG

Down view of horns

Beautiful IMG_0939 (2).jpg

Beceite Ibex IMG_0944 (2).jpg

Beceite Ibex

Amazing grip IMG_0935 (2).jpg

Amazing how these hooves can grip the rock

getting dark IMG_0951 (2).jpg

Getting dark – never photographed tree!

looking back up to shot location IMG_0949 (2).jpg

Looking back up to the shot location

Local artisan knife maker IMG_0947 (2).jpg

Local artisan knife maker I purchased in town

They estimate the age of the Ibex at 9 years. Danny has a pack and starts uphill with the skull and cape as Martin and I slowly ascend behind him.

IMG_0950 (2).jpg

Steep climb out
It’s steep, rocky, and at times had to employ human 4 wheel drive to climb back up. I swear Danny is part Ibex himself as he is constantly waiting for us to catch up and to also make sure we are ok.

We top out from the steep climb up out of the canyon and quickly cross the spine of the ridge and only have to ascend the ridge where we were spotting in the morning. It was now getting dark but easy to see with the white ice and snow as we trace Danny’s footsteps back up the slope and into the icy pines when we hear a “help” from Danny.

He has taken a spill on the ice and has slid down the hill and has stopped himself from sliding further by grabbing onto a couple of small pines. I hand the rifle over to Martin and take advantage of some scrub poking through the ice and stomp my boots through the crust. Danny pushes the pack with cape and horns over to me and I pass it on to Martin. Danny and I lock wrists and I pull him across an icy chute and verify he is ok. Looking up, you can see where he slid 20-30 feet down the hill before being able to latch onto the pines. We are all ok, a little shook but everyone is ok.

We crest the slope without further issue and can see the vehicle below, we have made it!

Made it back alive IMG_1461 (2).jpg

Made it back alive!

What an exhausting day as we are grateful, averted disaster and all made it back, extremely tired but free from harm and the ibex in the pack.

I brought a small bottle of Fireball with me from the States and we all had a small shot to warm the body and finish out the day! Yes, we put Michelle in a cage so she wouldn’t take the vehicle and leave us on the mountain!

Fireball celebration IMG_2174 (2).jpg
Fireball Celebration
Dinner that night was another amazing meal with hot soup, seared pork tenderloins for me and ratatouille for Martin and Michelle. Another amazing meal!!!

Soup IMG_0956 (2).jpg

Stew IMG_0959 (2).jpg

Pork IMG_0958 (2).jpg

Dessert IMG_0961 (2).jpg

My goodness that lady can cook!
We covered over 6 miles with a ton of vertical, over 200 floors according to my phone and I don’t think it was even close to those numbers as it seemed to quit logging steps for half the day. Some red wine with dinner and water with electrolytes before bed as I’m sure my body is going to tell me I abused it in the morning! Day 4 coming soon!

Attachments

• Sticking it out with Danny IMG_2260 (2).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 100
  • looking back up to shot location IMG_0949 (2).jpg
    looking back up to shot location IMG_0949 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • Sticking it out with Danny IMG_2260 (2).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Quite the adventure so far. Spain is an awesome place.
The food pictures are making me hungry, and I already ate.

Quite the adventure so far. Spain is an awesome place.
The food pictures are making me hungry, and I already ate.
We had a great time and the food was amazing! Trying to figure out plan to return!

Great adventure @Edge! Looking forward to the rest of it and I hope the wind and snow will be letting off for the remainder of the trip! Thanks for sharing :)

Looks like an amazing trip! Congrats on the ibex! Look forward to more!

Loving this report! Sounds like a great adventure! Congrats on your Ibex

Doing great so far, and I see you enjoyed our food :D Cheers:

Day 4 - Morning Sierra Nevada Ibex Hunt

We had only allocated a couple of days for the hunting of two Ibex and had used up that time plus some! We were due to arrive at a hunting estate 3 hours away near Andujar to target big Red Stag. My mindset was good, it’s hunting not shooting and if we don’t succeed on the second Ibex I was good with it. It is what it is, hunting. We have had fantastic hunts every day and just enjoying being in Spain!

We meet for breakfast at 7am and have already packed our bags for the trip to Andujar but will give the Sierra Nevada a go through at least mid-day. Danny meets us at the hotel and we head out and stop to talk to one of the local guides Martin and Danny employ to get the scoop on any Ibex rams they may have spotted recently. With the new intel, we head into some beautiful hills at a lower elevation, no snow or ice today! It was cool, upper 30’s with high humidity and a heavy dew. Danny has also cleaned the rifle to hopefully prevent the light primer strikes!

We cross into the hunting area and wind our way through some steep hills, cross a stream and start the climb up a gravel road out of the valley floor and Danny spots a group of Ibex. He believed he saw a mature male but it quickly disappeared into the brush at the crest of the hill. I break out the tripod and spotter again as we search for the target Ibex. Time is 8:50am.

Watching and waiting IMG_0988 (2).jpg

Martin and Danny looking for the mature male

We watch the hillside for a few more minutes waiting for the mature Ibex to appear. There, he is off the crest and is working his way down the left side of the hill with a group of younger males around him. Danny and I crab walk up the hill a few yards and I go prone with the rifle. Danny ranges the Ibex, 250 meters but I don’t have a clear shot with the smaller males jostling and feeding as the descend. The mature Ibex has rounded the side of the hill, giving me glimpses of his head and horns but no way to take a shot and I didn’t want to shoot him silhouetted against the sky as I didn’t know what was behind the hill.

Prone for the shot IMG_1547 (2).JPG

Waiting for a clear shot

The angle of the shot has changed as the Ibex have come down the hill, we have to move further up the road or I’ll be skipping a bullet off the dirt. We scamper up a few yards and I flop prone again, waiting for the proper shot.

Ibex on hill IMG_2282 (2).JPG

Target Ibex is around the hill in this photo

Zoomed IMG_1553 (2).JPG

Zoomed in on some of the youngsters

Patience. A second seems like a minute and a minute seems like eternity! The mature male is finally clear of the younger males and has come around the curve of the hill and presents a slight frontal quartering angle as I send the 180 grain bullet and see the Ibex go down and catch a fleeting glimpse of the horns as he rolls out of view.

I’m positive of the shot and march up the hill and scatter females and younger males in all directions as Danny goes back down the hill to bring up the vehicle.

Scampering away IMG_1550 (2).JPG

Females headed up the opposite hill

Older male IMG_1549 (2).JPG

Mature ram, needs another year

I ask Michelle if she would like to try for a female as Martin said we can also take one of the older ones as there are plenty all around. She declines and we continue up into the steep rocky slope and quickly locate the Sierra Nevada Ibex. Time is now ~ 9:30am.

Checking out ram IMG_1029 (2).jpg

Checking out the Sierra Nevada

They are so beautiful, as are all of God’s creatures. Pictures and a quick discussion with Michelle, this will be a euro mount as we need to save some wall space for her Mouflon, hopefully!

Sierra Nevada IMG_0998 (2).jpg

Sierra Nevada Ibex

down view IMG_1451 (2).jpg

Downward view of horns

Martin and Danny make quick work of the head and want to move the carcass around the hill a ways. The also age this Ibex at 9 years. The landowner has a house and buildings on the estate just a few hundred yards away at the base of the hill and sometimes stay’s there, we did not want vultures hanging around so close to the lodge. What a great location for a house!

Owner's house IMG_2180 (2).jpg

House and grounds

One word of caution if hunting in Spain, this ground cover hurts! There was plenty of it and it made for careful sitting and kneeling while trying to take pictures.

Ouch! IMG_1548 (2).JPG

Prickly ground cover!

I kept asking about taking a back strap and eating Ibex but was told nobody eats them. They must be pretty awful tasting, especially with the males in rut.

People may ask why do you shoot them if you don’t eat them. The answer is population control. All the natural predators have been wiped out by humans many many years ago and there is only so much land and food to support a population. If the population exceeds the carrying capacity, the entire population suffers and are now susceptible to sickness and disease. If left unchecked, the Ibex will eat all the vegetation increasing land erosion and destroy themselves in the process. Taking older males and females helps keep the population in check.

Michelle and I take the head back to the truck and she hatches a plan. It goes something like this: when Martin and Danny show up, she is going to tell them she wants to mount the rear of the Ibex on one side of the wall and the other side of the wall will have the head. She will tell them to go back and get the back half of the Ibex.

As Martin and Danny walk up and she breaks the news to them and the look on their faces was just flat, absolutely no expression. I’m in the background pointing to my head and making a swirling motion with my finger at my head and then pointing at her likes she’s lost her marbles and has gone loco!

To set the scene a bit more, I’ve told the guys they can’t touch the animal if it’s down until she pays her respects, has a moment alone and decides on what type of mount we are going to have done in honor of the animal. We do this for all our animals and they just witnessed it with this Ibex. They know she calls the shots!

Silence as Danny looks at Martin, Martin doesn’t say a word. Seconds continue to tick by and Michelle finally confesses she is joking and her and I start laughing and we all begin to laugh! She had those guys hook line and sinker!!! Apparently, they had stuffed the carcass down into a deep crevice and covered it over with brush! Just a little fun!

We head back to the hotel and transfer our gear into Martin’s Mercedes SUV, Danny takes the skull and will put it in the freezer at his house for the taxidermist to retrieve as we start the journey to Andujar three hours away.

It’s early enough we are going to arrive in time to do an afternoon hunt for Stag and sit for wild boar over bait in the late evening. I’ll save Andujar for its own report. Day 4 afternoon to be continued!

Attachments

• IMG_1544.JPG
    12.7 MB · Views: 97
Nice one !

You had the typical problem when shooting these creatures, they bundle together, young and old, males and females, and it takes patience until you have a clean shot.

Ed
Enjoying your hunt tale as usual. Love your style. Can’t wait to hear the rest

Enjoying your hunt report!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ktman

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.