South Africa is open!

Keep us updated with what protocols are In place for international travelers as I'm sure there will be some hoops to jump through. Glad to hear this news, though I'm sure not nearly as glad as you all are to get back to doing business!

At this stage, you still need to produce a negative Covid test.
I do believe that the rapid test will become the norm with airlines. It just makes business sense to them.
I think that proof of vaccination will also be in there, much like proof of yellow fever shot when visiting Zambia.

So Americans are now allowed in? No special regulations test results etc ?

Still need a negative covid test, sir. Just like all other countries at the moment.

In the USA, where much of their international commerce is from, that's called "common business practices" ... if its called a miracle in SA then thats what I am looking for ... anything else is called "common theft of service".

Thanks,
Charles
Member NRA, SCI, RMEF, etc.
Sir, at present, the government is busy fighting to bail out SAA. As it stands, SAA is closed, and will start running again once they get the cash injection. I believe that this will only be once things are up and running at full speed again. Why open a business when overheads are high and income low?
I would advise possibly checking with them once they are operating again.

Good news, but that "with certain protocols" sounds like a pain in the arse. I hope that by the time peak hunting season rolls around that those will be gone too.
I feel you'll need to produce a vaccination certificate for there to be no protocols my friend. Similar to Yellow Fever certificate entering Zambia.

Spike ....

I ask because this possibly may be one of only two " primary" options to get to Joburg from the US that makes sense. Think "basic economics" ... if Delta is the only efficient option of getting to Johannesburg from the US ... what do you really think will happen to the already high plane fairs. ... can you say "the sky is the limit".

This will surely cut into South Africa's revenue ... and hunters will start looking elsewhere for hunts before being raked over the coals for transportation fees.

I am planning a Big 5 hunt ... do I really want to pay an additional set of plane tickets because I was ripped off from the first set ...." No". I am already looking at alternative hunts if THEIR airline does not offer a refund or voucher for my first pair of tickets.... Note, there are others thinking likewise.

I really do hope it works out for both the country and their airline ... there is MUCH at stake.

And "No" ... I purchased my tickets through my "former" bank, thinking this was more secure than a CC....you live and learn.

Thanks,
Charles

Charles, I totally agree with you on the route issue. Although I dont agree with the bailout of SAA for the umpteenth time with tax payers money, they actually hold a very important part in the route over to Africa.
Should they not survive, I am sure that someone will pick up the JFK to JHB route.
Their prices for that flight is actually very reasonable. Personally, that is the service that I take when coming over to the USA annually.

Keep us updated with what protocols are In place for international travelers as I'm sure there will be some hoops to jump through. Glad to hear this news, though I'm sure not nearly as glad as you all are to get back to doing business!
Hi Mike,
I am sure that it will be to produce a negative test, just like all the other countries.
As I mentioned earlier, I think the rapid Covid test will become the norm at airports, until you can produce a Vaccine certificate.
I am ready to hunt, is an understatement.

SAA is an independent business isn't it? It's not a government owned and run operation is it?
Good to hear they are opening up. I hope this whole COVID issue can be put behind us sooner than later. (If that's at all possible)

SAA is an independent business isn't it? It's not a government owned and run operation is it?
Good to hear they are opening up. I hope this whole COVID issue can be put behind us sooner than later. (If that's at all possible)

SAA is a State Owned Enterprise.

Thank you Marius. I did a Google search after asking as well. With that knowledge I understand a bit more where Charles is coming from. Let's just hope the world as whole can move on.

Marius you do not need a yellow fever certificate to enter zambia
Strange. Had to produce one every time I travelled through Livingston.

My RSA outfitters say they are still getting hunters from Europe. It's not totally shut down.

@ChondroPython Thanks for posting your predicament. It's an excellent confirmation for doing research on sites such as this and using a travel agency well versed in African and other foreign hunts. I see you've been a member since 2010. Just curious but could you expound on your reasons for going through a bank and not using one of the aforementioned travel agencies? Was there some sort of cut rate prices? TIA, Hog

Last edited:
Our President addressed the nation tonight. This is the best news in a long time. Let's go!

View attachment 375327

By the way, my celebration was referring more to the last point about International travel being allowed into South Africa again, not liquor stores returning to normal trading hours.....

By the way, my celebration was referring more to the last point about International travel being allowed into South Africa again, not liquor stores returning to normal trading hours.....

Both causes for celebration nonetheless!

Sure it was.....:D Beers::D Booze:

Just received this from my PH Sakkie no further information yet

F7580170-79B2-4289-B953-C9A284DCFFF6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My RSA outfitters say they are still getting hunters from Europe. It's not totally shut down.

@ChondroPython Thanks for posting your predicament. It's an excellent confirmation for doing research on sites such as this and using a travel agency well versed in African and other foreign hunts. I see you've been a member since 2010. Just curious but could you expound on your reasons for going through a bank and not using one of the aforementioned travel agencies? Was there some sort of cut rate prices? TIA, Hog
I figured that a bank I've been doing business with for more than 20 yesrs would be more secure than a CC. ... little did I know. ... I assumed that after shelling out Big 5 money and Global Rescue money, I was prepared for snything. I guess I wasnt prepared for a world pandemic! To make matters worse Global Rescue's travel insurance stated to me thst the ENTIRE trip would need to be cancelled to get a refund ... Im still looking through my spotting scope to find that fine print! THAT came as a huge and unpleasant surprise.

Hopefully this info will help the next hunter looking for travel insurance through Global Rescue.

Thanks,
Charles

I won't be dancing in the streets over any of this until I have my covid vaccine card in my wallet. Why would RSA open now when Europe and the US have rising cases? Looks like they my screw up 2021 also. They my go back into lock down by May. Looks like their opening up in the off season to screw up the peak season. Stupid politicians.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross