SOUTH AFRICA: DE KLERK SAFARIS Round 2 The Return

Better yet, take Frikkie’s security blanket. And tell him Oscar recommended the blanket. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ok so the next day Sundday the 11th of December arrived it rained a bit again over the night so very good for tracks again. Bit tired from the long drive the previous day and busy day yesterday plus work catching up but got our gear together had a small breakfast and enjoyed coffee.

20221211-055638.jpg

Hello World.

Now I'm not superstitious or believe in good luck charms but over 15 years of experiencing dangerous game hunts with clients or friends if my shoe lace would break the morning that happened a few times or a button come off from my shirt or pants then I know something good is going to happen.

So my button on my shorts popped off that morning and no it was not from overeating it was just from use. Told Charmaine about it in the bungalow she thought I was crazy and then when having coffee this preying mantis came to sit on my boot sure good signs for me.
Today is a day God has made and it will be special.

20221211-062949.jpg

Heading out the morning we headed straight for waterholes. Also just to mention the daylight is much longer with light starting at around 04:30 and darkness at 19:30 so with limited time on hands that will help.

20221211-065407.jpg

06:30 we were on the road looking for tracks heading west the dark clouds was packing up for more rain so we might have to track the lion in the rain.

20221211-072133.jpg

Chris, checking for tracks around the waterholes while we keep an eye out for the clouds movement and tracks from the cruiser.

We spotted game all along the way with some good springbuck and impala but for now they will be safe as we were concentrating on Lion alone.
07:30 and we found tracks and they were fresh, Aaron was suprized on the size and we took a couple of photos of the tracks. Chris radioed Yvan and we were getting out gear together we all knew that we were going to push hard. My camelback was filled as well as for Aaron. He has hunted buffalo cow before and knew how it hard it can be with tracking and only getting a shot on his cow on day 3.
This would be new with a new environment and different soil and soft sand plus extra green Kalahari and long grass.

Chatting the previous afternoon we were expecting for the lion to stand out against the green grass.
Ivan arrived with Adam and got his gear together extra water bottles was packed on Chris's backpack and off we went.

20221211-072547.jpg

20221211-072716.jpg

458 Lott and 375 H&H doesnt looks so big anymore.

I took some photos and videos just showing how thick the grass was while tracking in the Kalahari.
Aaron loved the tracking he was mesmerized Chris, Adam, Frikkie and Yvan communicationg with hand signals when loosing a track and picking it up all you could hear was the russtle of the grass an brush and we moved all 6 of us.
Just for a note we started on the tracks at 08:00

20221211-082605.jpg

20221211-084132.jpg

Could have been another puffadder but it was a huge leopard tourtoise, we didnt spot or had time to spot anymore snakes in the grass.

20221211-085251.jpg

Love this picture reen Kalahari Grey skies and long grass.

20221211-082825.jpg

The lioness didnt follow a route or a certain direction she would walk on a game trail for a bit then wander off left or right even if the wind was blowing steadily from one direction. She avoided big roads that was open and would walk next to it instead of in the road.

At one stage there seemed to be 3-4 buffalo bulls over her tracks and a tree she tried to climb which we theorized that the bulls were chasing her. She would walk and then speed up we don't know if it was for us or something else but there was no structure or direction to her movement.

2 hours 45 minutes later when Yvan stopped to Chris to grab a bottle of water he spots the lioness directly infront us about 200 meters. She then heads off and vanished in the grass again.
Suddenly we are all on altert again and head into the direction we spotted her.
From the tracks we can she she is not pussy footing but trying to keep distance and we keep at it.
Another 30 minutes goes past before spotting her again she is now heading in a more open area and we add extra pace to chase her down.

She then vanishes again but she was heading for one of the main cut roads and running next to it so we get into the road which makes the grass a bit higher on the sides of it than when we are in the grass.
There is a green raisin bush about a foot higher than the grass next to the road Chris goes past it then Frikkie and then when Yvan was next to it the Lioness jumps out from laying flat in the grass from this bush. She spins away growling and making known we are irritating her.

Even with Yvan having the 470 Merkel double in his hands there would have been no time for him to swing the barrels and fire at her if she did come for us. We stopped and looked at her heading away with only the black of the back of ears showing as she moved in "Death in the Long Grass!".

We just took a small breather and thanking that she didnt come our way. Aaron was speechless and felt that growl vibrating through his body this was the real thing it wasn't a game but on the tracks of the Apex predator in Africa that his built to take down Black Death.
This is why we do it tracking and feeling alive after this majestic animal no one knows how it feels untill you are on the tracks experincing it yourself.

She was heading as far away from us at a pace directly towards a lone roan bull we kept after her and looking at this spectacle the roan was aware something was a miss and when he spotted the irritated lioness and made tracks for better pasture.

The lioness hit a main road again for 50 meters or so and then headed into the tall grass again and moving away from the more open area into thicker stuff. The tracking went slower as she circled left then right then for now reason turned 180 degrees it was getting hard and tough on us and getting close to 12 noon, 4 hours of non stop tracking and searching and she vanished again.

With her change of directions slowly but surely she was heading to the same main cut road where she was waiting for us. We spotted her a few times and everytime she sees us where she was waiting she heads off again and vanishes she doesn't stop and look back but only allow her backside and black ear tips to be seen.

Everyone is getting at the end of this endurance race and when we hit the main cut road we decided to head back to the cruiser for lunch and a break.
Chris kept on the sideline just inside the bush and after about 50 meters calss us.
He sees her lying flat in thick bush 20 paces away.

We rush in but as soon as she spots me and Frikkie she heads off again.
We are tired and exhausted but we can't let this chance get away and push after again it looks as if she is tiring also and not heading away from us as fast as what she did previously.

Still she heads straight away from us not stopping turning to look back when finally she went past a bush and changes direction this time she will come out angling.
Quick decision and I take the 375 H&H from Aaron and the stick go up she is about 80-90 meters away and when she clears another bush I fire.

She drops right there on the spot and shes gone but she is growling we canot see her.
I fill up the magazine and we move in slowly in a horisontal line everyone at ready we are 10 yards from her before we can see her over the grass. Two quick insurance shots later and its over.

The rifle sighted on to be spot on at 50 meters and me shootting a bit higher in the long grass combined with the distance put the shot higher than expected and I clipped the spine above the shoulders.

She was down but not out and we had no idea how she was laying while growling and being mad.
4 hours and 15 minutes later we had her and with that 15km of excellent tracking.
We alsmost gave up but Chris came up champs.

This was incredible last time I got in close and it was hot where she waited for us. This was compeltely different this lioness just didn't want to give up. But we didnt either although were were on the way to the cruisers. To have expereinced this with my 17 year old son was very special.

We had to hurry with the photos as sudden heavy rain came from the east and due to the time I didn't get any photos of me and the lioness alone.
With that said and the greenies who have no sense of logic I will not post photos of us and the lion as a family and I'm sure you will understand it.

IMG-20221212-WA0051.jpg

20221211-124551.jpg

20221211-124259.jpg

20221211-124551.jpg

We radioed in as soon as the lioness was down and Hans came and brought Charmaine along to sit for photos with us and the gang and see the lion. This was very special and we got wet but it was worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats @Frederik , my heart was pumping reading this. Brought me back to the Kalahari, good memories.

Very special to share this experience with your son. Hope one day one of my kids can share a DG experience with me. Wmh!

Congratulations @Frederik and Aaron , and all others involved. This hunt could have turned very dangerous at one point. Excellent shooting and good preparation!

Well done and thanks for sharing all the details of this hunt!

Congratulations again @Frederik

Glad you got to experience a good long track in the sand. It’s amazing how well those cats blend into the Kalahari.
We had a good tracking stalk last time as well the surrounding was just far more open and we would have never seen my first lion laying down when she decided to hide from us. Stalk wasnt that long but was easier to catch up with her.
So definitely a big difference with thick vegetation and long grass for those who would like to dare.

I forgot to add a few scares we had with warthogs a few yards away suddenly bursting away from us and bustrads. Keeping you on your toes.

That night it was a good night around the fire I enjoyed that cigar very much thank you @BourbonTrail, with a good single malt of course.

20221211-214346.jpg

Congratulations, than you for taking us along on your adventure.

Congratulations, than you for taking us along on your adventure.
It was only a pleasure I will get the rest of the report up in due course since the serious exiting hunt is done now.

Frikkie is by far the best PH I've hunted with. Seeing those photos reminded me of the wonderful hunt I had there as well. De Klerk safaris does such a great job. I would recommend them to anyone.

Wow! Quite the adventure. Good shooting. Congrats
Bruce

Great read - thanks! I enjoyed the suspense.

Wow what a great hunt, congrats. This hunt brought wonderful memories of my hunt. Frikkie is a great and fun PH. With the exception of him getting cold and using a blanket. :ROFLMAO: I’m trying to find that picture.

Found it! Here is the fearless PH Frikkie with his security blanket. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1671542104647.png

Frikkie, if you are reading this report, you know I'm only busting your chops. I'd go to the gates of hell and back with you as my PH, I trust you and respect you. (y)

So after the lion hunt we could all relax and rest a bit and we got back to camp to celebrate and eat.
Heidi prepared a very nice Lasagne dish and marveleed and enjoyed swoopping the experience and storie of the morning's hunt.

We would rest a bit and head out later in search of springbuck and a monster impala. Charmaine and the dogs would also join us again for the drive and hunt.

It started raining again and we couldn't head out at 3:30pm as arranged but the weather finally cleared and we headed out about 4:30 pm and packed something nice for sundwoner also.
With the grey clouds still around Charmaine decided that she will not tag along in case it rains again.

With the grass being wet Frikkie was at it again he said he will not get off the Cruiser to wet his boots and himself unless we find and spot a monster impala or springbuck.
It was one of those security blanket moments. :E Happy:

Anyway with the weather and clouds moving Frikkie was lucky we didn't spot any huge trophy potential but we ahd an amazing time out with a specific cloud bar that moved at an incredible speed have a look at the video. Below id a photo of the front coming in before I decided to take the photo.

20221211-183554.jpg

It was amazing to see a phenomenon like this over the Kalahari bever seen somehting like this before if there is any weather experts please explain. When the clouds came over us you could defenitly feel a drop in temperature.

With no stalks and just watching the weather we headed back and celebrated more that evening the rain stayed away that we could have rump steak served hot from the coals by Frikki and Yvan. Hans and Marie joined us also for the feast and general fun.

Monday the 12th of December Charmaine's birthday and I got her good cup of coffee and let her enjoy the camp as me and Aaron got ready to head out again. Our muscles could feel the workout from the day before plan was to hunt the morning and then just enjoy the afternoon as game drive and celebrate my wife's birthday.

The morning seemed slow but we kept in an area where Frikkie as seen a monster springbuck before and then we just took a random walk. At first we didnt spot anything untill far off spotting a herd of Red hartebeest then as they moved off we heard a black wildebeest just blowing gas.
Or actually its their warning to the herd it sounds like a fart and Aaron heard it for his first time.
We could not see the bull just heard him fart in the wind :X3:

Moving in closer we saw the bull and most of the rest of the herd laying down and enjoying the sun. They headed off as they do and run in circles and we kept going untill spotting a herd of springbuck slowly grazing towards us unaware of Aaron the hunter on the look out for a good kalahari ram.
The herd was very clam and at a time got so close that we could hear them eating the fresh green grass.

20221212-101252.jpg

Look closely and you will see springbuck in the grass in teh gao of the tree branches.

Spotting a ram was more difficult than expected with all their heads down and feeding but eventually we spotted one. It was not the biggest but a fully grown ram and I told Frikkie he is good enough for Aaron's first springbuck. Plus he will be good eating.

The herd slowly moved away feeding with the closest ones to us noticing something was wrong but not feeleing real danger just moved off. Luckily the stayed at the back and the distance grew between us and them.

There was a old ewe with long horns moving together with the ram and when their heads were down you could not see which was which. Eventually at a range of about 170 meters the two springbuck stood broadside and stood still, that was afater a couplke of calls from Frikkie to get them to stand still and look at us.

Frikkie and I both whispered to Aaron shoot the one on the right. Concentrating through the binos the 375 H&H roared and the thud of the hit was heard but ALAS! It was on the springbuck on the left the springbuck did a semi circle and moved abouyt 10 yards and keeled over.

Aaron, had a big smile on the face when me and Frikkie told him at the same time wow, great shot but wrong springbuck. :E Happy:

He was dumbstrucked and made a rookie mistake we had a good laugh and walked closer to the springbuck. Now yes, it was the wrong one but it was a very respectable springbuck ewe with long horns. Anyway his first ever springbuck was down on a great stalk and getting so close to them was special.

20221212-102627.jpg
20221212-103021.jpg

Happy Springbuck hunter Aaron.

20221212-103048.jpg

Frikkie and Aaron, note no security blanket around as grass was not wet anymore.

As our time was getting lessand I wanted to take some more meat home I told Frikkie lets get a young impala ram along the way home unless we find a monster then drop both off to get slaugthered and head back for a good lunch and siesta.

I must also tell that Aaron loves the 375 H&H and is very confindent with it and with him not firing a good number of shots with my new 7x57 he opted to hunt the springbuck with it.
So with my new 7x57 not being blooded before we found a good young impala ram and I shot it off the cruiser and got a clean headshot.

This was just meat gathering so we didnt take any neat photos but my new 7x57 had just made its first kill.

20221212-121037.jpg

Look at the grass you would not say that this is red sand Kalahari looks like lush greenery like KZN.

We had a good lunch and then planned our game drive and proper sundowner trip for celebrating Charmaine. Will post that later.

So after a terrific lunch once again from Heidi we rested a bit and then packed for a good afternoon of just enjoying the Kalahari. We did take the 7x57 along just in case a jackal would show itself.

We saw that afternoon almost all the species on the big farm with the exception of Roan and Lechwe.

Impala
warthog
duiker
steenbok
eland
kudu
gemsbuck
springbuck
blue wildebeest
black wildebeest
Red hartebeest
blesbuck white and brown
Giraffe
Sable
Ostrich
Bat eared fox
Buffalo

The weather was bascially over and the blue skies came back everything had so much colour and the game all looked relaxed.

20221212-171422.jpg

Charmaine and Eddie with a rainbow in the background

20221212-180252.jpg

Kalahari looking like the Serengetti expecting to see a Granbts Gazelle and white bearded gnu anytime.

20221212-181723.jpg

Two future potential trophy bulls.

We stopped on an intersection of roads and just enjoyed the sand the sunset and watching the dogs go wild and sniffing everything, rolling and digging in the sand. Took a bit of a walk and the dogs were marking their territory which was interesting as the Bat eared foxes later rolled and marked their territory back where our dogs was a while back.

20221212-190330.jpg

It was paradise Charmaine celebrating her birthday and in the Kalahari, Frikkie captured this nice photo of us 3.

Then after some good single malt we headed back to camp for dinner.
Then the teenager came out.
Wanting to do some crazy photos on the cruiser.

20221211-190204.jpg

20221212-193855.jpg

20221212-194225.jpg

20221212-193835.jpg

20221212-193728.jpg

20221212-192308.jpg

This water hole almost looks like the Bostwana swamps the drinking trhough on the right looks like a Mocorro.

20221212-194949.jpg

Look at what Heidi created as a birthday cake for Charmaine in the Kalahari and yes it tasted even better than what it looked.

20221212-204519.jpg

Bubbly is served.

That evening I treated the gang with a seafood paella with fish, prawns, calamari, mussels and crabsticks under the Kalahari sky. I was the cause of overeating that night but it was good and Hans commented next time I come I must do the paella again.
So I was pleased to be able to return a cullinary favour.

The next morning we had a good breakfast and we packed and hit the road for the long 7 hour drive back to home.

I would like to thank the Whole De Klerk Safaris team and staff you run a supberd outfit and treat everyone like kings and queens. You own a special place on earth and look after it well as good as you can.
Without hunting this would be a normal cattle farm and I hope that Logic will previal so that Controlled bred Lions hunts can continue. Without it how many hunters would take the time and money to visit this special far off area to go and hunt plainsgame where they could do it somewhere else that is not so far off?

The lion hunts are conducted as they were in Botswana or Kalahari by tracking and you are on the ground with your target animal that can act different everytime it can get dangerous and be exhausting.

For me tracking a lion on foot is a better hunt than sitting in a blind please note that is my own opinion.
I am so glad my son could expereince this and I know it will be a special memory and a lesson in his life. Adding your track on top of a lion track is a life changing experience when carrying a rifle in hand.

As a closing note we wre the last hunters of the year and the next day the De Klerk staff had their own year end celebrations.

Yvan, was doing a lamb on the spit and the staff noted that they are ready for next year to welcome old and new clients to this special place on earth.

IMG-20221214-WA0022-1.jpg

IMG-20221214-WA0023.jpg

IMG-20221214-WA0024.jpg

IMG-20221214-WA0025.jpg

I wish all a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year.
Also to be reminded that we are clebrating our saviours birth.

Another awesome hunt, really like the fact that I feel right there immersed in your story. Best of wishes to you and your family.

Thanks

MB

What a great hunt @Frederik and thank you for taking us along. Your report brought back some wonderful memories. I hope the CBL continues, so common hunters like me can afford to hunt a lion, otherwise out of reach.

Hans, Frikkie, Heidy and the staff are wonderful, and do run a wonderful operation. I hope to be able to go back, even if it's for a PG hunt. (y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross