Soonest/Safest return to South Africa?

I guess there is no definate answers to most of your questions right now . I do not believe this can drag on to February .... there will be nothing left by then .

I hear you and understand. If my trip to Limpopo gets cancelled in September, and as of now it appears it will, undecided at this time what I will do.

I was to have hunted Botswana in May on a hunt I booked two years ago. First I was done over by the airline collapse. Then I got totally shut out by the virus. I was taking my wife to Africa for the first time (I've been before) and had some apprehensions on that. I've rescheduled to next April but with the lockdown going through next February, I'm now concerned about that. Will the "system (airlines, lodging, restaurants, civil order, etc)" be back in place to smoothly support tourism by April if not opening until February? Three months of lockdown and it appears the world has already lost it's mind. What will it look like after a year? What will the cost of all the "systems" be at that time? Will there be additional risk at that time such as being snatched and forced to endure some arbitrary quarantine. "system failure" or other intrusion, including other significant financial cost? I've been able to recoup some of my investment but sill out over 4k invested. At some point I'll need to again book things in the "system" that have already screwed me, running the risk of losing more money. I'm also concerned about my outfitter. If I were to cancel the sooner I did so the better the opportunity for them to find someone else to fill the slot. What will their stability be like after a year of shutdown? I still would love to go and hate to move too fast and sacrifice my desire and investment for all of this confusion to disappear in a couple of months and everything go back to normal. At what point do I get this out of my mind and just say screw it and move on? This was supposed to be an enjoyable, relaxing, memorable (in a positive way) experience. Seems more like prolonged misery.

Just wanted to vent a bit while setting here under some quarantine phase, all the major cities under anarchy, and a hurricane passing over. Seemed like there was nothing better to do today.
I understand your frustrations. Didnt think I'd make it to Africa for 10+ years then I was due to hunt leopard of all things in under a year from looking into it. Then bam, fabricated media virus that can be transmitted through 6 feet of air anywhere in the world, ya know with the exception of race riots. Unbelievable.

But this too shall pass. I'm looking at it accepting the disappointing delay in order to ensure it is a enjoyable, relaxing, memorable experience. If thay means more postponement that's ok. I dont wanna be the among the first to travel and find out about some goofy quarantine rules or something the hard way.

Newest airliner design. COVID- CABIN
103154004_1115930522127254_4089914643537593603_n.jpg

That’s was a positive report for a change..

Boo hoo for me, I am supposed to leave 23 June, like in 10 days. Not going to make it. Dam Covid and its BS.

MB

SA NEWS24 from today:

8781DC34-8912-48D3-A701-646ECB0D0832.png

All well and good but some agency or person in charge has to get their act together to facilitate the domestic airlines ability to carry firearms. To think everyone is going to rent firearms and buy expensive RSA ammo is a stretch.

All this doom and gloom in March, and here we are in mid June and the USA's curve has flattened nicely and South Africa has less than 1500 deaths. Come on people, it doesnt get normal, we make it normal.

All well and good but some agency or person in charge has to get their act together to facilitate the domestic airlines ability to carry firearms. To think everyone is going to rent firearms and buy expensive RSA ammo is a stretch.

Why would you need to rent? Pretty much every single international airline flies with firearms, and for internally, SA Airlink flies to every major airport where is needed.

Why would you need to rent? Pretty much every single international airline flies with firearms, and for internally, SA Airlink flies to every major airport where is needed.

That's true but their schedule isn't workable to some cities in RSA. When my cancelled May flight on SAA to Port Elizabeth was cancelled, the only SA Airlink flight would have required a sixteen hour layover in JNB. As I posted previously, someone or some agency has to get their shit together in RSA and let the other airlines carry firearms. There are a LOT of things that need to come together and happen before hunters in any numbers return to RSA.

That's true but their schedule isn't workable to some cities in RSA. When my cancelled May flight on SAA to Port Elizabeth was cancelled, the only SA Airlink flight would have required a sixteen hour layover in JNB. As I posted previously, someone or some agency has to get their shit together in RSA and let the other airlines carry firearms. There are a LOT of things that need to come together and happen before hunters in any numbers return to RSA.
Agree, It has been some time since my last safari, (9 years). Things were very easy and simple last time, this time road blocks were at every level. I was shocked at the costs not only to fly with a firearm but to see SA response to a hunter. A Gansbaai hotel told me to "move on" they don't like hunters. The difficulty in storing, traveling and touring before or after a hunt with a firearm seamed extreme. For those with unlimited funds there is no problem, use a storage/permit pro, but for others, paying the same as TF on a large animal to store your weapon seams like robbery. In the end my outfitter helped out, but not really his responsibility as we planned tour after hunt portion. With limited internal gun carriers this seams like another road block to overcome.

We now have another year to reorganize our new hunt dates. Dam Covid making me wait a whole 12 months again. Painful. Lets hope things return to some state of normal for June 2021.

MB

I would suggest you look at the flight schedules when the entire country is not in lockdown.
I have flown with SA Airlink, with my firearms for many years.

Apologies l won't post any article again. Just thought the forum could do with a bit of positivity.

I would suggest you look at the flight schedules when the entire country is not in lockdown.
I have flown with SA Airlink, with my firearms for many years.

Apologies l won't post any article again. Just thought the forum could do with a bit of positivity.
Please don't take my post as any negativity towards SA, its outfitters or posters. Also please do not stop posting on here, guys like me need your views, feet on the ground posts so we can track what's real during this crazy time and then when this is over. I have gained tons of knowledge and up to date info from posters like yourself. Especially from a SA living persons perspective.

MB

Please don't take my post as any negativity towards SA, its outfitters or posters. Also please do not stop posting on here, guys like me need your views, feet on the ground posts so we can track what's real during this crazy time and then when this is over. I have gained tons of knowledge and up to date info from posters like yourself. Especially from a SA living persons perspective.

MB

The post was certainly not directed at you Mark.
FYI, the Tourism board met with Government on the 9th of June to discuss the way forward and push for an earlier opening to our international borders, so at least its on the agenda, with negotiations in place. At this stage, it does not matter whether RSA is open or not, since most of the world is still closed. As long as we are open to receive once everyone else opens, then there will be no further delays. We don't want to be in a position where the rest of the world has opened, and we can't welcome them into the country. We just need to be ready, once that decision is made.

Sure that you will have an awesome time in SA next year. Hopefully every critter you go after will grow an inch longer from now until then.

Notwithstanding the patch up between you KMG and Mark, it does need to be said that the frustration is getting to folks and manifesting itself in negativity. Think before shooting from the lip or finger tip, frustration for us can also be the loss of an entire life's work for others. I know of two PH's who have had to sell their beloved doubles to pay school fees, the one man had tears in his eyes. Lets try to keep spirits up, travel just as soon as you can and have a wonderful hunt.

This Covid has far reaching long lasting negative effects. Here at home lots will not reopen even after being allowed, the list of companies is long. Just received word that our shark diving company in Gansbaai has been placed in "business rescue" guess that means no return of paid funds. Another Covid slam.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois