So, I Was In The Loading Room Today...

The Lee Manual made me afraid of them too. He makes them sound very temperamental. I am interested in know if @tarbe finds an advantage with them too.
Yip, that’s where I learned to reload.

The Federal 215 was developed to get reliable ignition in the big Weatherby cases. It is generally considered to be the hottest primer available.

Now, hotter isn't always better...but when you have a long powder column like that 9.3, my rule of thumb is "more fire". And try to keep your powder burning rate slow enough that you get the case mostly full.

If you have a load for the 9.3 that calls for a standard primer, you can sub the magnum in, just drop your starting load a couple percent.

You are going to start low and work up anyway...so there is no danger. And these big guns aren't shooting MOA....so any possible issue with accuracy won't be noticed. Reliable ignition is a lot more important than having your double shoot 2 inch groups vs 2.25 inches at 50 yards! :)

I don't know where this idea comes from regarding Federal primers, that they are somehow more dangerous than other primers...I have been using them for nearly 45 years and I still have 9 fingers and one eye!

Just kidding...

I have found federal primers anything but temperamental. The 215 are a hotter primer than than either the Win or CCI. I load CCI in about everything but my magnums with large appetites.

The Federal 215 was developed to get reliable ignition in the big Weatherby cases. It is generally considered to be the hottest primer available.

Now, hotter isn't always better...but when you have a long powder column like that 9.3, my rule of thumb is "more fire". And try to keep your powder burning rate slow enough that you get the case mostly full.

If you have a load for the 9.3 that calls for a standard primer, you can sub the magnum in, just drop your starting load a couple percent.

You are going to start low and work up anyway...so there is no danger. And these big guns aren't shooting MOA....so any possible issue with accuracy won't be noticed. Reliable ignition is a lot more important than having your double shoot 2 inch groups vs 2.25 inches at 50 yards! :)

I don't know where this idea comes from regarding Federal primers, that they are somehow more dangerous than other primers...I have been using them for nearly 45 years and I still have 9 fingers and one eye!

Just kidding...
Lmao. Dude I so want to spend some time in a reloading room with you to get some wisdom.
Lemme ask you this too, I have always used a standard beam scale. I’ll use a scoop to get close and trickle in the last red c%*t hair to get a perfect weight which I like but it takes forever! Recently I’ve flirted with the idea of getting either a Hornady, RCBS, or Lyman auto powder gizmos. Have you used one and are they worth a damn? I’d still throw a light charge and trickle the last little bit in but..... don’t know if the juice is worth the squeeze. I’ve also had my eye on the RCBS bench primer too and don’t know which I want first. I still use an single stage press and prefer the feel of priming on that. I have a hand primer which I like having it as a separate stage in the process disconnected from the press but don’t like the “feel” of it.

My Nosler manual has loads for the 9.3x74R with IMR 4350 and both the 250gr BT and the 286gr PT.

250gr starts at 64gr (2,411fps) and max is 68gr (2,553fps)
286gr starts at 60.6gr (2,253fps) and max is 64.5gr (2,398fps)

Double check my numbers!

The max loads are 97 to 99% loading density, meaning very little air space and powder crammed right up against the flash hole.

They are using the Fed 210 for these loads. Always start low, and in your case (with a double) you might want to start a couple grains below the start loads above.

Tim

My Nosler manual has loads for the 9.3x74R with IMR 4350 and both the 250gr BT and the 286gr PT.

250gr starts at 64gr (2,411fps) and max is 68gr (2,553fps)
286gr starts at 60.6gr (2,253fps) and max is 64.5gr (2,398fps)

Double check my numbers!

The max loads are 97 to 99% loading density, meaning very little air space and powder crammed right up against the flash hole.

Tim
You da man. I’ve got to get all my loading stuff set up and get my books out. I love to reload but just haven’t had time in last few years to load much. That issue is going to be resolved soon as I get everything set up.

Regarding the scales, I am a Luddite. I still use an old RCBS beam scale myself.

I will probably go to the grave using a beam scale, a single stage press, and a phone without Whatsuuup.

I do use this for priming: Bald Eagle

IMG_0235.jpg

Gizmo,
I recently went to a Hornady auto thrower, I absolutely love it. It grows another charge as soon as you set the pan back on the scale. It is an awesome feature. I set mine low and trickle to perfect. They even have a trickle button that works great! Haven’t used the others.
I’ve tried about every priming gizmo out there, the Lyman is the best one I’ve found as far as the hand type go. The bench mounted take up to much room on the bench IMO

Gizmo,
I recently went to a Hornady auto thrower, I absolutely love it. It grows another charge as soon as you set the pan back on the scale. It is an awesome feature. I set mine low and trickle to perfect. They even have a trickle button that works great! Haven’t used the others.
I’ve tried about every priming gizmo out there, the Lyman is the best one I’ve found as far as the hand type go. The bench mounted take up to much room on the bench IMO
That’s awesome! I’m just nervous because of all the mixed reviews I see on those things.
The space problem isn’t an issue anymore! I’ve got booquoo room.

@tarbe I’ll check that out. The RCBS one looked very simple and well built but that one does too.

Soooo the seating depth adjustment looks awesome but loading the primers with a tweezer (that’s what the pic showed anyway) would drive me f’n crazy. My hands shake waaaay to bad for that shit.

Get the RCBS powder dispenser and dont look back. It is a huge time saver and very accurate.

Gizmo, I have the RCBS Charge Master Combo, and love it. I've had it for at least 10 years or so, and no issues at all. This thing is extremely accurate, and what I'd would consider "fast". By the time you are done dumping the powder, and seating a new bullet on the case, the CMC has already dropped another charge on the pan. This obviously may take a bit longer if you are dumping large quantities of powder onto the scale.

I just ordered the RCBS dies, Lee Factory crimp die, shell holder, and 50 286 gr TSX’s for my 9.3x74r double. I have accumulated quite a bit of brass since I got the rifle (the fun way by shooting it!!!!) now I have to figure out what powder to try. It’s regulated with S&B 285gr softs. I’m thinking of starting with H414 for no other reason than it sounds like a good idea because I have no f’n idea where to start and I found some load data for that.

Pierre van der Walt's book African Dangerous Game cartridges lists 30 different powders for the
9.3 x 74 R. H414 was not one of them. Send me a PM and I'll provide you with some of the loads he suggests.

Last edited:
@tarbe I’ll check that out. The RCBS one looked very simple and well built but that one does too.

I actually broke an RCBS bench-mounted priming tool after about 20,000 cycles. Pot metal just gave out and cracked.

Lmao. Dude I so want to spend some time in a reloading room with you to get some wisdom.
Lemme ask you this too, I have always used a standard beam scale. I’ll use a scoop to get close and trickle in the last red c%*t hair to get a perfect weight which I like but it takes forever! Recently I’ve flirted with the idea of getting either a Hornady, RCBS, or Lyman auto powder gizmos. Have you used one and are they worth a damn? I’d still throw a light charge and trickle the last little bit in but..... don’t know if the juice is worth the squeeze. I’ve also had my eye on the RCBS bench primer too and don’t know which I want first. I still use an single stage press and prefer the feel of priming on that. I have a hand primer which I like having it as a separate stage in the process disconnected from the press but don’t like the “feel” of it.

The RCBS Charge master is terrific. Cuts loading time in half. Throws an accurate charge while your seating the bullet from the first load. I would never go back to a scale and scoop after purchasing this tool.

I actually broke an RCBS bench-mounted priming tool after about 20,000 cycles. Pot metal just gave out and cracked.
I’d say 20k cycles is pretty dang good for a $100 piece of equipment

Pierre van der Walt's book African Dangerous Game cartridges lists 30 different powders for the
9.3 x 74 R. H414 was not one of them. Send me a PM and I'll provide you with some of the loads he suggests.
You are awesome! PM inbound

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg