Show Us Your Hunting Knife

I really wanted to get this one as well, but at $910 a bit rich for my blood. I'd hate to lose it in Africa.

View attachment 454741
I do like the looks of that one. However, Hattori could have learn a few things from Bob loveless about handle contours though. I love the look of San mai steel.

Perhaps a better sheath would alleviate concerns of loss. If you buy it I’ll build you a better sheath.

The branding or laser etching is showing on the right hand side I thought it's commonly on the left.

so here is my favourite knife
it was a gift from a group of polish hunters
5/6 were made
in the leather sheath is a stone picked up while they were hunting at tallyho
in the handle is red deer antler, red bush willow wood and rhino tooth
the blade is pretty self explanatory

knife jackal.JPG
knife zeb.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Respectfully, I agree with the general skinning portion, and even mentioned that it could be used in a pinch for skinning but not ideal… I might disagree with the breaking down part of your response.

I actually prefer a slim blade boning style knife with fine tip for breaking down an animal to smaller pieces.…but that’s just me.

I'm in the same camp. Meat is easy to cut so all I need is a sharp blade with good maneuverability for general breakdown. A smaller blade is preferable around joints as well. Of course a proper sized handle is essential to the individual to avoid sore hands and cramps.

I'm in the same camp. Meat is easy to cut so all I need is a sharp blade with good maneuverability for general breakdown. A smaller blade is preferable around joints as well. Of course a proper sized handle is essential to the individual to avoid sore hands and cramps.
Yes sir. Exactly how I feel. A wide blade with little point is inefficient for taking apart joints and boning meat.

so here is my favourite knife
it was a gift from a group of polish hunters
5/6 were made
in the leather sheath is a stone picked up while they were hunting at tallyho
in the handle is red deer antler, red bush willow wood and rhino tooth
the blade is pretty self explanatory

View attachment 454772View attachment 454773
@Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS I can see why it’s your favorite. The rock from your hunting property is a nice touch and unique idea.

On a separate note….I’d like to discuss a hunt sometime.

My Schrade Old Timer sharp finger that was my primary hunting knife for 35 years.View attachment 449693 My newest aquisition. Seem to be entering a Damascus phase.
I grew up with the "sharpfinger".. the blade profile remains one of my favorite for basic skinning and caping work..

I never liked the delrin plastic handles, square butt, or the lanyard hole at the center rear of the handle though.. So I made an "improved" sharpfinger for myself a few months ago... I upgraded the handles to OD green G10 scales with hunter orange G10 liners, and moved the lanyard hole to the top of the rear of the handle (only to find out after the knife was complete that moving it made little to no difference at al in terms of comfort when using the lanyard) and rounded the butt.. Pins are black G10 rods.. I also modified the edge and grind geometry a little bit as well, and went with a kydex sheath with a tek-lock on the back for belt mounting rather than a traditional leather sheath (my kydex skills are FAR better than my leather skills).. I figured modern steel (S30V), modern handle materials (G10), etc warranted a more "modern" rather than traditional sheath..

Im headed out on a "veterans" hog hunt this weekend with about 10 other guys... we typically take 10-15 hogs over a 3 day hunt period between us this time of year (we've been doing this hunt for the past 4 years).. I expect to be able to give the knife a solid workout and know by Sunday evening whether it was worth the effort.. or if I should have just stuck with my original sharpfinger lol...

IMG_1797.jpg

@mdwest - I like how you have a notch at the blade heel, allowing for complete sharpening of the edge without climbing onto the bolster and leaving marks from the stone. Beautiful work.

@mdwest - I like how you have a notch at the blade heel, allowing for complete sharpening of the edge without climbing onto the bolster and leaving marks from the stone. Beautiful work.
Thanks!

I've gotten to where I add a choil to most of the knives I make these days.. its literally less than a 5 minute task with a small round file and a little clean up work.. and I like the aesthetic of it as much as I find them practical on most smaller bladed knives..

I started this one which is similar to the one I just finished above. Obviously the handle shape is slightly different. What may not be obvious is that I raised the tip off the centerline about 1/8 inch which gives the blade a little more belly.

This was ground from preheat treated steel which was new for me. I actually think I like it better although much more wear on abrasives and a little slower.

C07A3E9A-954A-4CC2-A2BD-034BCFA42BBD.jpeg

Hunt Knife.jpeg

Schrade Old Timer
Won on a Punch Board back in 1990 at the
Ripple Tavern, Moses Lake, WA. (Great Fried Chicken!!!)

Have had several nicer knifes but this one seems to always be on belt when it came time to get the job done!

View attachment 457892

Schrade Old Timer
Won on a Punch Board back in 1990 at the
Ripple Tavern, Moses Lake, WA. (Great Fried Chicken!!!)

Have had several nicer knifes but this one seems to always be on belt when it came time to get the job done!

I love an old timer and great fried chicken. LOL

…believe an old timer was my second pocket knife after a victorinox Swiss Army knife at 7 years old. I still use it.

Their carbon steel would sharpen like a razor.

@Kelly G are they still doing the fried chicken?

Nice knife btw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!