Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I recently sold a bunch of knives (thank you AH members who looked and bought them) and as any proper AH member, already had in mind what my next one would be. So before the funds could hit the bank, I purchased a Smith & Sons Brave with Natural Micarta Scales. Fits my hand well and is now resting on my cartridge belt. This one hasn't had a chance yet to make any memories, but I assure you it will.
1631482134164.png

This also made me wonder what others are using as their hunting knives. Of course I will expect the legion of @Von Gruff fans to come forward with pictures of theirs, but I know there are others out there that have some semi-custom, full custom or a Buck 110 that their Grandfather gave them. Share a picture and maybe the story behind it.

Yeah, I still have a Grohmann Canadian Belt Knife #1 that has been on my hip for 20+ years...not to mention several others that I didn't get rid of. :cool:

Love Von Gruff and will have to enlist him for a build. I cheat, my blades are forged and shaped in the Rockies then I have fun shaping the scales and pins and holster. I have made them for my kids (5) and a few friends. I love ivory this is Mammoth.

FEE55D88-CF17-4A0B-9F9E-5203964057BE.jpeg

I've carried this Buck 102 with a modified cutting edge profile for a lot of years, along with the retractable sharpening rod. I have always liked the older style Buck enclosed case. I don't plan on having to "draw" my knife when out in the field so I just pack in my pocket or day pack. I spray paint my knife handles and other equipment orange to help prevent losing them in the field. If I didn't have the Buck 102, I would carry this J Martiini from Finland. One heckuva heckuva for the money!!
Both have blades of about 5 3/4".

I have a lot of knives, I mean a lot! both old and new, custom and antique, but these two are my picks for carrying in the hunting field.

Story behind?? The Buck 102 has been carried and used all over Africa including- Zambia, RSA, Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Botswana. In the US including- New Mexico, Wyoming, Colorado and Alaska. For most every type of big game. Obviously in Africa a lot of the heavy lifting is done by trackers and skinners but still it has been used for various tasks.

Buck 102.JPG

Martiini Finland.png

Last edited:
20210604_232208.jpg

This #1 is just so easy to carry and comfortable to handle.

Yeah, I still have a Grohmann Canadian Belt Knife #1 that has been on my hip for 20+ years...not to mention several others that I didn't get rid of. :cool:
@BeeMaa
Love the Grohman. What grind did you get and what steel.
Mine is flat grind carbon.
Bob

@BeeMaa
Love the Grohman. What grind did you get and what steel.
Mine is flat grind carbon.
Bob
Mine is the regular grind and stainless steel. I painted the handle with yellow rattle can after almost loosing the knife several times on the ground amongst the leaves. I'm in the process now of stripping away the paint to reveal the beautiful rosewood grips and have ordered a new scabbard that is the new style with the stitched back tab. The original was the flapper style scabbard that I always hated. I'll post some pictures of the handle recovery process when I have a chance.
1631496605188.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I painted the handle with yellow rattle can after almost loosing the knife several times on the ground amongst the leaves.
You can also attach a bright colored lanyard to help with that problem. Blaze orange paracord works well, and a bright blue paracord lanyard is great if you live in an area where fall leaves can be brightly colored.

Mine is the regular grind and stainless steel. I painted the handle with yellow rattle can after almost loosing the knife several times on the ground amongst the leaves. I'm in the process now of stripping away the paint to reveal the beautiful rosewood grips and have ordered a new scabbard that is the new style with the stitched back tab. The original was the flapper style scabbard that I always hated. I'll post some pictures of the handle recovery process when I have a chance.
View attachment 424057
@BeeMaa
What is it about you and @Forrest Halley as well as a few others. Ya'll seem to have this thing for rattle cans of paint. You take a perfectly beautiful object and ruin it with paint, I just don't understand. I bet you would have done that to a Von Gruff. @Von Gruff Gary could probably do you a nice knife with an irradssant glow in the dark pink handle so you don't loose it.
Bob

It's alright guys, it's on it's way back to OEM. 20 minutes with some 400 grit got it to here. It's a knife, not a Picasso. Take it easy.
1631497252663.png

The bottom one dad and I made when I started hunting, the top is one of mine that predominantly lives in my boot. I’ve made a few others in the Canadian belt knife style but I keep coming back to this one. Blades are made from sections of bandsaw blade scavenged from an abandoned water powered saw mill.
88E2010B-951C-4E17-BEE6-A691556302B1.jpeg

Here are a couple favorites of mine. One is a Ruana made in Bonner, Montana, pricey little buggers too but nice knives, this one still unused.
The other is an old Wade & Butcher made in Sheffield England that my dad carried hunting for years and also carried it all during WWII while in the Merchant Marine. Its a very good knife with much sentimental value.
I have quite a few other knives as well.
IMG_2261.JPG
IMG_2262.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross