Show Us Your Hunting Knife

A friend who services aircraft for an unnamed airline at an undisclosed location gave me a roll of the stuff a few years ago… Very good stuff… Wish I had some more. Also gave me a roll of some kind of flat six or eight stranded flat rope type stuff they used to tie cargo down… It’s awesome stuff too. You can split it in half and double
I believe you are talking about Mule Tape. It is excellent for hanging a hammock between two trees also. Comes in 1/2 and 3/4 inch widths.
Human

Edited to add: I got a response after posting this, which said "Robot or Human". I have no idea what to do now. I clicked on the link though, and it does take me to the Walmart listing for mule tape.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 8.38.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 8.38.10 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
I believe you are talking about Mule Tape. It is excellent for hanging a hammock between two trees also. Comes in 1/2 and 3/4 inch widths.
Human

Edited to add: I got a response after posting this, which said "Robot or Human". I have no idea what to do now. I clicked on the link though, and it does take me to the Walmart listing for mule tape.

Google is spying on you. They say they don't but we keep seeing ads and leads on similar products.

My 'go to' hunting knife - it's a Kershaw Elk Hunter model 1034 made in Japan from the early 90s. It was a 21st birthday present from my hunting buddies.

It's seen a fair amount of use over the years and is apparently somewhat collectible amongst Kershaw afficionados. As you can see, it could use a polish up on the brass! It has not been a safe queen.

To be fair, it's a bit heavy and over-robust for my needs, and the finger grooves are fine for short periods of time (throat cutting or gutting) but a PITA for longer use, especially on finer tasks.
It's now mostly a ceremonial knife for special hunts. As has been mentioned, most hunts in Southern Africa tend to have accompanying trackers and skinners who are keen to use their own blades.
Plus some of the home-grown sharpening techniques, on an exposed brick or section of cement, have ruined many a fine blade and I am keen to avoid that on this knife.

The leather sheath shows the effect of acacia thorns over thousands of miles in the bush!

IMG_2056.jpg
IMG_2057.jpg

Last edited:
And here is my every day beater - a CRKT "Free Range". It's selling point is convenience being a folder that sits in a pouch. It doesn't hook on things or protrude in any way.
The gut hook makes zipping open stomachs so much simpler, especially when culling and/or shooting multiple animals. The soft touch handle gives great grip in all conditions.

The steel is not great and needs regular touch ups, even if just slitting throats. And I've only used it for skinning on a handful of occasions when there wasn't a superior knife available.
But on the flip-side, I'd shed few tears if it got abused or lost - it's just a tool.
IMG_2058.jpg
IMG_2059.jpg

Posted a pic of this one in another thread recently..

A 3.5" drop point hunter I made for myself a few weeks back... I didnt really intend on it being my primary hunting knife.. I was really more experimenting with some different materials and different processes than anything else.. but I think it turned out really nicely, so, I think I'll give it a whirl this next season and see how it does..

D2 steel, D2 pins, 1 mosaic pin in the rear for decoration.. dyed and stabilized kudu bone for the handles...

My leather work still leaves a lot to be desired.. but.. it will hold the knife on my belt well enough until I get the experience and ability to do something better.. :)

IMG_1903.jpg

Posted a pic of this one in another thread recently..

A 3.5" drop point hunter I made for myself a few weeks back... I didnt really intend on it being my primary hunting knife.. I was really more experimenting with some different materials and different processes than anything else.. but I think it turned out really nicely, so, I think I'll give it a whirl this next season and see how it does..

D2 steel, D2 pins, 1 mosaic pin in the rear for decoration.. dyed and stabilized kudu bone for the handles...

My leather work still leaves a lot to be desired.. but.. it will hold the knife on my belt well enough until I get the experience and ability to do something better.. :)

View attachment 460782
Nice little knife Dave. Love your makers mark.

Thanks Garry! Thats a huge compliment coming from you...

I am still very much a novice maker.. As I practice more and have improved some of the equipment in the shop the knives have improved... but there is still a long way to travel before I would consider any of the stuff I turn out as a true quality product..

The leather in particular is a huge challenge for me... I've got kydex reasonably well mastered at this point.. but leather, thats a different story...

Thankfully there is a Tandy Leather store just a couple of miles from my house.. lots and lots of quality tools and products are available there.. and they do free classes every few weeks... I took a class on carving leather last weekend, and another class on stamping probably a month ago... my plan is to keep taking classes and practicing using their leather and supplies until I get it right lol...

Thanks on the makers mark as well.. the "Crusaders Cross" (i.e. Jerusalem Cross) has special meaning to me.. a group of guys I deployed to Iraq with very early in the war all adopted it as something of a unit/team emblem.. a couple of the guys didnt make it home (thankfully everyone made it through that deployment.. they didnt come home from future deployments).. I use it as a way of honoring those men.. (I also wear it as a 6" square tattoo on my chest, over my heart)..

Thanks Garry! Thats a huge compliment coming from you...

I am still very much a novice maker.. As I practice more and have improved some of the equipment in the shop the knives have improved... but there is still a long way to travel before I would consider any of the stuff I turn out as a true quality product..

The leather in particular is a huge challenge for me... I've got kydex reasonably well mastered at this point.. but leather, thats a different story...

Thankfully there is a Tandy Leather store just a couple of miles from my house.. lots and lots of quality tools and products are available there.. and they do free classes every few weeks... I took a class on carving leather last weekend, and another class on stamping probably a month ago... my plan is to keep taking classes and practicing using their leather and supplies until I get it right lol...

Thanks on the makers mark as well.. the "Crusaders Cross" (i.e. Jerusalem Cross) has special meaning to me.. a group of guys I deployed to Iraq with very early in the war all adopted it as something of a unit/team emblem.. a couple of the guys didnt make it home (thankfully everyone made it through that deployment.. they didnt come home from future deployments).. I use it as a way of honoring those men.. (I also wear it as a 6" square tattoo on my chest, over my heart)..
Appreciate the back story on your mark and the honour you pay to present and fallen brothers.
PM incoming

A small game hunt usually calls for a fixed blade and a foldable blade that can hold an edge for the work at hand. First choice would be my Kershaw 1056 & 1030.

IMG-7693.JPG

A medium to large game hunt would bring out my Kershaw 1032 & 1050.
IMG-7692.JPG

Shooting for bird calls for my Kershaw 12G & 2120
IMG-7694.JPG

A fishing trip would call for my Kershaw multi blade & a pocket blade 4100
IMG-7696.JPG

Where field work is required, my trusted Kershaw axe & scissors are always at hand.
IMG-7697.jpg

All of which are looking for a new home!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you