Excellent video and I agree that practice from sticks is paramount.
But I will add that other improvised positions should also be practiced.
Offhand, kneeling and sitting were all encountered on our last safari.

Our PH had a set of JS Trigger Sticks but they were not in the best condition.
We were glad we took a set of BOG-POD's with us.
The weekly practice we did at home really paid off.
We took 10 PG from different positions, 4 were off sticks.

I would not make any assumptions on what your PH may or may not have.
If you have the ability to pack your sticks...take them.
Using the ones you've been practicing with will only help you.
Dance with the one you came with.
Agreed!

Thanks for posting and good info as usual. For stick practice, I use either a .22 or .17 rimfire. It's cheaper. :giggle: Also accuracy improves with a good trigger.
Perfect idea! The more time on the sticks the better.

It’s so interesting on what is the “proper” way to use sticks. Was watching an seasoned “expert” hunter’s video on using sticks and he was saying to grip the sticks and the rifle forend. Worked okay with a 308, no worth a crap with a 300 wm or 9.3x62. Been reading One Day’s and Shootist’s posts and definitely not going to holding on to the sticks any longer. With my new Weatherby’s there is no way I could do that with these rifles, just doesn’t work with how the stocks are configured and hand placement.
Depends on the caliber, the sticks, and the shooter. This is why I am not making recommendations on how to use sticks in this video as there are many ways to do it.
Some instruct to hold on to the sling and the sticks, some hold the rifle, and some the sticks. Each shooter needs to find his or her comfort zone.
Philip

You may be correct on proper technique using quad sticks, but this is what I have found. I use 4 stable sticks. I have found the best way for me to shoot them is by having a sling on the rifle and using my left hand to hold both front sticks and the sling, this will stop the rifle from falling off. I shoot up to 375. If I hold the forearm of the rifle instead of sticks and sling, my groups are not as tight. I also find the less weight I bear into the sticks and straighter I keep my back the better I can shoot from them. I have used them now on 5 African trips and 3 roe buck hunts and practice with them regularly, this technique works really well for me. You can actually see how I hold the gun and sticks in my picture next to my name.
This is what they teach at SAAM shooting school. Sounds like you have it down!

I looked at Philip 's video and subsequent comments. Very nice!

I am sure Philip will not mind the following thoughts, because he has proven through his writing to be a true AH.com companion.

I only have one observation: a 7mm Mag with Edward’s Recoil Reducer shooting 160 gr bullets is hardly representative of a DG caliber rifle shooting 300 to 500 gr slugs.....................

May I suggest one does not try having one's left hand between sling stud and tripod/bipod fork with a .458 Lott rifle ;)

I would hate to suggest someone tries it to illustrate my point, but I think that everyone understands exactly what I mean :)

This is the ENTIRE point about acquiring ONE proper shooting form that becomes unconscious muscle memory: one's hand does not wander back & forth on the forearm, front or back of the sticks, and it does not matter what caliber one shoots...

This is another example why in the end one needs to shoot a few boxes of ammo with the actual rifle, the actual load, and under actual conditions, before going on safari, to verify that everything comes together. It is better to discover at the home range that, for example, flat nose truncated solids do not feed through one's rifle, or to get a few stiches in the left hand palm web at the local American or European emergency room, than to have this happen in Africa :oops:

Yes, there are "many different ways to skin a cat", and I guess that both house kitten and Leopard are cats (the same way both 7 Rem / 160 gr and .416 Rem / 400 gr are rifle & load combos), but one should not get distracted in thinking that what works with one will necessary work with another. Just saying :rolleyes:
Thanks One Day. Certainly there is a big difference between my tiny little 7Mag, that I love, and big DG calibers. My video series is directed to the “first timer” as it has become my passion to introduce as many hunters as I can to Africa. It is not particularly focused on DG.
Your point is well taken on learning a good technique and practicing it.
Thanks,
Philip

Philip,

Well done. I have talked to a number or PH's about using sticks and one thing they mention is that if you are on a seven or ten day safari and you take a bad shot you can spend several days tracking that animal until you find it. One PH said his one shot stalks went from about 40% to 75% when he started insisting people used sticks back in the 1970's before they were commercially available.

Now for some shameless promotion.....our average customer has purchased six sets of "disposable" sticks before they invest in a set of ours as they are the only ones on the market covered by an unconditional, lifetime warranty.

Jim
Jim,
Thanks and yes you have some fantastic products!
Philip

Looked at the quad sticks but didn't like that you have very little left to right adjustment with them. The traditional sticks give you more leeway in that area and I like that the ones I sent over collapse down to a small bag that I can throw in my duffel or rifle case....good luck!!!
Correct this is the downside to quad sticks. You can’t swing on a moving animal.

Will post pics of new model in the near future

excellent video, good music (who is it ? )
Im always usings sticks during stalking.
No matter where in the world.
In different types and despite long experience I have no favourite.
The most precise shots go with the example no. 2 you call them viperflex sticks if I heard that right.
I prefer a threeleg stick and often I have the Trigger Stick from your friend Jim Shockey with me.
But it is not much use in Africa.
It falls into the sand once and then it's over .
The sand when stuck.....
If there are long shots, I always ask the tracker to let me put the elbow of the trigger hand on his shoulder.
This helps a lot.

I know Phs who won't let you shoot without the stick.
By the way Mark CZ, also in Suffolk, UK, our PH arrived with a stick.
But,probably he thought I'm a worst shot :unsure:
Karpaten Stick a.jpg

my hunting comrade with a quickmade African Stick during red deer rut in Romania.

Last edited:
I've been dry firing off of sticks aiming out of my study window for about a year now, five shots in the morning and five shots in the afternoon, and I think it's helped.

I shot 12 rounds of .416 Rem Mag at the range today and it's interesting (to me at least) that I never once felt any recoil on my shoulder.

Instructions on making your own quad sticks here:

Last edited by a moderator:
While I ended up doing fine with the sticks on my hunt, I sure wish I had practiced shooting off sticks before I went. I can attest to the fact that if you don’t familiarize yourself with them before you hunt, you will regret it while you hunt.

Homemade sticks cut on the way home after sitting down in the wet stuff and missing a shot.
Worked well the next night .
View over the sticks

Results - rem 338-06 185gmx my Wei styer 19

Attachments

• 8tyiWW.jpg
    8tyiWW.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 116
  • ILomr6.jpg
    ILomr6.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:
Informative thread! Since I've never shot off sticks I'd thought I would make some out of dowels like Phillip Glass did and try those at my local range and go from there. I'm sure I'll end up with a set of the African Shooting Sticks, but I have to play the "devils advocate" and see what I like/don't like about sticks before I purchase a set. I've always hunted and used a leather military style sling for support when shooting past 50 meters. Thanks to everyone on this thread for the invaluable information!

excellent video, good music (who is it ? )
Im always usings sticks during stalking.
No matter where in the world.
In different types and despite long experience I have no favourite.
The most precise shots go with the example no. 2 you call them viperflex sticks if I heard that right.
I prefer a threeleg stick and often I have the Trigger Stick from your friend Jim Shockey with me.
But it is not much use in Africa.
It falls into the sand once and then it's over .
The sand when stuck.....
If there are long shots, I always ask the tracker to let me put the elbow of the trigger hand on his shoulder.
This helps a lot.

I know Phs who won't let you shoot without the stick.
By the way Mark CZ, also in Suffolk, UK, our PH arrived with a stick.
But,probably he thought I'm a worst shot :unsure:
View attachment 369732
my hunting comrade with a quickmade African Stick during red deer rut in Romania.
The music is from Juluka and I really like it. Gets me ready for Africa! Yes they are ViperFlex shooting sticks.
Thanks,
Philip

I've been dry firing off of sticks aiming out of my study window for about a year now, five shots in the morning and five shots in the afternoon, and I think it's helped.

I shot 12 rounds of .416 Rem Mag at the range today and it's interesting (to me at least) that I never once felt any recoil on my shoulder.

Instructions on making your own quad sticks here:

Homemade Quad Sticks 1

Homemade Quad Sticks 2
You must be “in the zone” not feeling recoil from your .416! Such good practice dry firing daily, no doubt. Plus a daily routine gets you more mentally ready for safari.
Philip

While I ended up doing fine with the sticks on my hunt, I sure wish I had practiced shooting off sticks before I went. I can attest to the fact that if you don’t familiarize yourself with them before you hunt, you will regret it while you hunt.
Randy this is so true. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Philip

Informative thread! Since I've never shot off sticks I'd thought I would make some out of dowels like Phillip Glass did and try those at my local range and go from there. I'm sure I'll end up with a set of the African Shooting Sticks, but I have to play the "devils advocate" and see what I like/don't like about sticks before I purchase a set. I've always hunted and used a leather military style sling for support when shooting past 50 meters. Thanks to everyone on this thread for the invaluable information!
Keep us posted on your progress with the home made sticks. Like I say try different ones when you get the chance. Maybe we need some AH get togethers across the country to share our shooting sticks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg