Shooting Stick Suggestions: 3 vs 4 leg?

Which stick are more stable?

• 3 Legged

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • 4 Legged

Votes: 20 66.7%

• Total voters
I am wanting to get a set of shooting sticks for my wife and I so we have the exact ones we practice with on the safari(s) with us. Has anyone used both of the styles of stick pictured (3 and 4 leg) and can comment on pros and cons? I will buy both and compare if I absolutely have to but that will add up fast and is a hassle to return stuff sometimes.

SEEMS like the 4 leg would be very stable, but the way the 3 legs have a solid "V" for the front of the gun seems like it would be easier to "lock in" the forend over the flat front rest on the 4 legged ones. I'm sure those of you that have used both will have some good comments to assist. I think it's fair to assume that with some good practice, the speed of setting up on both will be equal.

For those that have used the 4 legged ones, any opinions on the "viper-flex" vs "4 stable" brands?

View attachment 336117 View attachment 336118
@mikecatt13
Before we went to Namibia my son and ipractced off the 3 leg sticks. But in Namibia we both used the 4 leg Viper sticks. We both found them great. I ended up calling them a bush benchrest they were that stable. The only issue I have and this is with ALL sticks is they are a bit short for my 6 and a half feet. Despite that they are comfortable to use and completely adjustable.
If I could afford a set in Australia I would have them in a heart beat. Out here they ore over 400 dollars.
Find out what your PH is using and go from there.
Bob

I think while out and about hunting, the 3 legged is better. It can be setup and free stands. 3 feet means stability in most terrain. The 4 legged variety has two points of support but needs your correct positioning and tension on the stand to operate correctly. I think probably good at the range and in a blind. But if you are on uneven ground then you will lean in/on or back and everything changes. I was trying to zero my 458 on saturday. Lead sled gave me a beating last time I tried it so I took my 3 legged camera tripod and a foam pad. Not great for hunting but brilliant on the range-fully adjustable and rock solid. Even with that, I got 2 distinct groups depending on how I held and rested the rifle.

@mikecatt13
Before we went to Namibia my son and ipractced off the 3 leg sticks. But in Namibia we both used the 4 leg Viper sticks. We both found them great. I ended up calling them a bush benchrest they were that stable. The only issue I have and this is with ALL sticks is they are a bit short for my 6 and a half feet. Despite that they are comfortable to use and completely adjustable.
If I could afford a set in Australia I would have them in a heart beat. Out here they ore over 400 dollars.
Find out what your PH is using and go from there.
Bob
I ended up buying a set of viper flex. They're rock solid and I'm already pretty fast with them. Thanks everyone

I've used tripod in the past. Very stable. Never used the quad though. Looks like it would help a lot. 2 points of contact on the quad seem more stable for the shooter but also more time consuming, time you may not be able to afford. Then again the more you practice the more proficient you get at it. Worse case, in a there he is "shoot now" scenario where you wouldn't have time for either version, you would just shoot offhand. Which is practice I personally and highly recommend.

I have used 2,3 and 4 legged sticks and far prefer the quad sticks. For years I used plastic coated metal garden canes with rubber bands and these have worked really well for me and cost next to nothing. Last year I bought some Viper flex journey sticks and am totally satisfied and they do allow some scope for panning the rifle laterally. As others have said 1 inch groups over 100yards are quite straightforward and I have taken small deer in the field out to 300 yards. There is no way that tripod sticks can give that level of stability with only a single point of support for the rifle. Deploying the quad sticks is quite easy but practice definitely helps speed things up, it can also be done single handed whilst manipulating the rifle with the other. If you need to take a very rapid shot then they can be used as a bipod probably faster than a tripod .

I use 3 legged Bog Pods at home. On my last hunt the outfitter had a 4 legged something. OK if you don't have to swing sideways because the little notch on the front gives only about an inch of movement. They were quite stable otherwise if you have time to set up.

@mikecatt13 I’m glad you settled on Viper flex. Sticks seems a common thing in Africa and perhaps some European areas.being Viperflex are Danish?
1) your Ph may have a couple of options
2) your PH will be handling the set up of sticks.
3)I was in the hilly country of Game4Africa the Viper flex can work you need to move with them to lean up or down, I also used the outfitters short tripod with the Yoke in certain situations but we were not tracking for miles across the Zambezi where you would be doing all standing shots.

Use what you are comfortable with and maybe you will get use to a quick setup too.

I used the Viperflex because I wanted to try them. definitely stable and if you want a cheaper model later for a different use it. Doesn’t seem so bad. I started with. $120 set of tripod Primos I think, I can remove 3rd leg. But it’s a bit of fun for practice but you don’t see a lot of shooting off sticks in Australia generally but you can do it anywhere in the world if I try suits your style.

One advantage with a tripod is you can set it up and it’s freestanding if you are practicing and want to change rifles etc, I practiced some with a .22, it was all new to me.

Bob says Viperflex is a Bush Benchrest, good call, particularly after you are hyped from a brisk walk. Maybe we can try for a group but in Australia if anyone is interested?

The Viperflex is quality and quality costs money to produce.

1, 2 or 3 stick versions can and have been made simply and cheaply and can be made as nice as you like or there are nice exotic timber ones available at @African Sporting Creations that are made for travel.

Get practicing and have some fun!

I have a Bog-Pod tripod and I can easily use them at 200 yards but I'm looking for a good 4 legged shooting stick for my next safari. I have always packed my bog-pod in my rifle case and its never been an issue.

Viper Flex are outstanding. I practiced exclusively with 3 legged sticks before my first safari and when we arrived in camp and went to site in the guns out came the Viper Flex. Used them successfully on 13 animals on the first safari and immediately ordered some from a London gun shop upon returning home. I have used them quite a lot at home in the states, you can move them around easily on a shifting target. On my second safari I brought along my carbon fiber Viper flex sticks but we mainly used the PH's original model viperflex. I will not be returning to Africa without some no matter who I am hunting with.

I have a Bog-Pod tripod and I can easily use them at 200 yards but I'm looking for a good 4 legged shooting stick for my next safari. I have always packed my bog-pod in my rifle case and its never been an issue.
This link is 4 Stable sticks. French company. Haven’t seen them but same principle as Viper Flex possibly different construction. Potentially cheaper I think.
I take notice of design and construction of anything that interests me and I do believe the Viperflex are well constructed for a lightweight item premium materials and design.

Regardless of construction none are a cheap item but just like your rifle you won’t set out to knock it around so used correctly any should last pretty well.

Thats a good idea, i will be interesting to see if there are other examples of peoples ingenuity making similar.

I have used all models of the Viperflex sticks as they have evolved. Currently I own and use the Viperflex Journey sticks. As the name infers these breakdown into sections you can stash either in your rifle case or suitcase. The centre section is also carbon fibre which reduces weight slightly but more importantly doesn’t freeze your hands off hunting in colder climates, like Ireland in January.
The Viperflex sticks are available in the US from Holland’s Guns as I understand. Maybe now from a few other outlets.

@BeeMaa I think that the gentleman in the second photo with the Tripod is Jim of @African Sporting Creations I could be wrong, but it sure looks like him. I’ve had good experience buying boots from them, so I trust they will give good advice.

I personally like the standard tripod, although I would imagine better longer range accuracy can be had with 4x rather than 3x legs.

Hi
I use Seeland shooting sticks 4 leg sticks £86. From WWW.Bushwear.co.uk
They will fit into my Pelican rifle case.
When I first took them to SA the ph was less than impressed.
Still that all changed when he tried them.
As to setting up. My PH carries and set the stickers.
Give them a try, you won’t look back.
Keep safe

@BeeMaa I think that the gentleman in the second photo with the Tripod is Jim of @African Sporting Creations I could be wrong, but it sure looks like him. I’ve had good experience buying boots from them, so I trust they will give good advice.

I personally like the standard tripod, although I would imagine better longer range accuracy can be had with 4x rather than 3x legs.
That is in fact Jim of @African Sporting Creations in the photo with the tripod.
I've had a few conversations with him on shooting sticks, more specifically the broken down length.
I need something even more compact than their "Compact Shooting Sticks".
Jim is a great guy and even offered to make a set of 4-section custom sticks for me to fit my length requirement.
For now the old BogPod's do the trick and are paid for so I'll use them until they are no longer serviceable.
Then...just maybe...I can convince Mrs BeeMaa that we need a set of ASC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross