Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I just saw that S&B is now offering a 2.5-10x40 scope with a 1" tube. The price I've seen is $1350-$1500 depending on reticle. Low enough power for DG and plenty at the upper end for PG. Perhaps a good choice for my .375? I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.

Yes, I think it's fine for a 375 H&H, it would make the 375 H&H a one gun safari gun. You could hunt plains game and dangerous game.

Phoenix Phil
I saw that also...however i believe that they have come out with a 1 X 6 with lighted recital.

I think that this would be a great one, however i do not know the price...

I just saw that S&B is now offering a 2.5-10x40 scope with a 1" tube. The price I've seen is $1350-$1500 depending on reticle. Low enough power for DG and plenty at the upper end for PG. Perhaps a good choice for my .375? I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.

I don't have any S&B scopes with 1 inch tubes, but do have several with 30mm tubes. 375, 404j, 458WM. they stand up to the recoil and the clarity is outstanding. Leupold are nice, but these are in another world. I expect that it would be excellent. In your shoes, if I could afford it, I would buy it.

TerryR

That is what i have heard about the scopes, however i have never seen one in the field or in the stores.
I was looking at them on line..

I don't have any S&B scopes with 1 inch tubes, but do have several with 30mm tubes. 375, 404j, 458WM. they stand up to the recoil and the clarity is outstanding. Leupold are nice, but these are in another world. I expect that it would be excellent. In your shoes, if I could afford it, I would buy it.

Schmidt and Bender Summit 2.5-10x40mm A7/A8/A9 Reticle Riflescopes

$1,349.00

Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1.5-6x42 Posicon Riflescopes with Flash Dot 7 - 9 Reticles Rifle scope

$2,349.00

Terry,

I was a leupold fan for many years and then switched to all swarovski. I put a red dot S&B on my 375 this year for a lion hunt in the save which could occur at night. It is by far the brightest scope I have in my safe. The swarovski's are great and I will continue to use and buy them especially for their turret system, but the S&B illuminated/flash dot scope is off the charts.

FWIW, S&B had a display at SCI. I was able to check out their new 1-8X I believe it was. It had the battery powered illuminated reticle. Sounds like they've had production problems and it's not available, although I could have bought one at the show. But I did find their scopes to be exceptional, better be for the price.

I'd like to find that one scope solution for DG and PG and this looks pretty good for that. Speaking as a totally inexperienced DG hunter, I'm struggling with the idea of needing to go as low as a 1.1 to 1.5x. The reasons I see for this are that you may be hunting in the thick and dark brush. But if that's the case then wouldn't you want a scope with a larger aperture than 20mm which is the typical size for those very low power scopes.

Am I missing something? All inputs appreciated as again I have no experience with this.

Phil,a 2.5x10 is a great choice for a combination DG/PG hunt.I have even used a 4x on DG.The trick is to have your scope on Warne QR rings (or similar) so that you CAN slip it off the rifle if you need to follow up in the thick stuff.I have a belt pouch to carry the scope if it needs to come off.Also,just be sure where your ammo prints with the irons.Go for the 2.5x10 !

Phil,a 2.5x10 is a great choice for a combination DG/PG hunt.I have even used a 4x on DG.The trick is to have your scope on Warne QR rings (or similar) so that you CAN slip it off the rifle if you need to follow up in the thick stuff.I have a belt pouch to carry the scope if it needs to come off.Also,just be sure where your ammo prints with the irons.Go for the 2.5x10 !

Using those exact rings. I have a 3-9x40 Zeiss already. But having had two scopes in the last year go bad on me, I'd like to have the Zeiss as back up the next time I go to Africa. Two rifles, three scopes is the plan.

Good choice Phoenix Phil. Zeiss in Warne rings. On all my rifles.

The S&B Summit 2.5-10x40 is a beautiful scope. If I didn't have Zeiss on all my rifles I would buy one.

Where are they manufactured ? I know their high end models are made in Germany, then there are the Hungarian models. This seems very good value for an S&B so I'm wondering if it is from elsewhere ? The price range is the same as the entry level euro Zeiss Duralyt range.

I used a 1.8 - 5.5 Zeiss and although the optics are great it was simply not enough magnification. Also the thing to check with European scopes is the amount of eye relief. I have noticed that most are around 3" on the lowest magnification and this is reduced as you turn the power up.

FWIW, S&B had a display at SCI. I was able to check out their new 1-8X I believe it was. It had the battery powered illuminated reticle. Sounds like they've had production problems and it's not available, although I could have bought one at the show. But I did find their scopes to be exceptional, better be for the price.

I'd like to find that one scope solution for DG and PG and this looks pretty good for that. Speaking as a totally inexperienced DG hunter, I'm struggling with the idea of needing to go as low as a 1.1 to 1.5x. The reasons I see for this are that you may be hunting in the thick and dark brush. But if that's the case then wouldn't you want a scope with a larger aperture than 20mm which is the typical size for those very low power scopes.

Am I missing something? All inputs appreciated as again I have no experience with this.

Hi Phil,

The S&B are a truly magnificent scopes, I have a 1.1-4 x 24 Zenith with a FD7 reticule on the .375H&H and the 2.5-10 x 42 also a Zenith with the FD7 reticule on the 30.06 but both are in Recknagel QD Mounts and I have another set of rings for the .375H&H in anticipation of doing exactly what you are contemplating but whatever your final S&B scope power range selected, make sure that you make it a 'Zenith' you won't regret it as in low light it can make all the difference to being able to take the shot.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

Some years ago in Budapest,Hungary after a hunt we called in to the Schmidt&Bender assembly plant.
All the scopes are assembled there from German made parts,cheaper labour costs.
BTW they don't do factory seconds :LOL:

It would be a good scope on your .300 #1 ruger as well Phil ?

It would be a good scope on your .300 #1 ruger as well Phil ?

Old thread, decided against the S&B, still can't bring myself to spend that kind of $$$ on glass. But I am going to try a Zeiss HD5 on it this weekend.

Hi Paul,

I don't blame you one bit. I have a safe filled with Leica Scopes and have come to the realization that I do some of my best work with a lowly Leupold 6x42.

What I learned just a bit too late is that investing money in Bino's and Spotters is worth more than the $$$ invested in Scopes. I spend 85% of my "glass time" behind bino's..maybe 5-10% behind a spotter...and barely seconds behind a scope.

True, the scope needs to be "good enough" but it doesn't have to be the absolute top of the line to be an effective.

(*qualification: I dont' hunt at night due to rules and regs. If I did I might well have a different opinion.)

Old thread, decided against the S&B, still can't bring myself to spend that kind of $$$ on glass. But I am going to try a Zeiss HD5 on it this weekend.

Phil,

I went with the HD5 in the 2x10 at the recommendation of Tim Fallon (SAAM) and couldn't be happier. The idea was to have a scope for a one gun safari and it certainly seems to fir the bill. I've got it sighted in dead on at 50 yards for buff, but with the hash marks in the reticule I'm very comfortable out to 300 yards with the right rest. This is on my .375 by the way. I'd buy the scope again for a different rifle, no doubt.

Bit of a hijack, but figured I was not too far out of line....

I am unhappy with the mounting position available with my Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 on my No 1 Kudu.

I cannot get the scope far enough back to comfortably get full field of view at 8x.

Heck, I even drifted out the rear sight (which as you know is quite tall on a Kudu) in order to cheat the scope back to where the front ring is almost at the objective.

I know you have a Kudu Phil....what scope are you running on that rifle, and do you have issues with the eye relief/mounting position?

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg