Sako Kodiak 375?

Bad experience here with the Kodiak .375. Upon my first range outing the stock split after about 10 rounds from the forend back about 4 inches, along with horrible accuracy prior to it splitting. Beretta replaced the rifle rather than replacing the stock saying it didn’t meet accuracy minimums. I am still frustrated as the accuracy with replacement rifle is atrocious
(3 moa) with every type of ammo tried (4 different loads so far). I’m using the optilock mounts which are a pain in their own way. I will either be sending this rifle back or selling it at this point.

Bad experience here with the Kodiak .375. Upon my first range outing the stock split after about 10 rounds from the forend back about 4 inches, along with horrible accuracy prior to it splitting. Beretta replaced the rifle rather than replacing the stock saying it didn’t meet accuracy minimums. I am still frustrated as the accuracy with replacement rifle is atrocious
(3 moa) with every type of ammo tried (4 different loads so far). I’m using the optilock mounts which are a pain in their own way. I will either be sending this rifle back or selling it at this point.
The question here is, "Do you believe that you are the exception or the rule?"
Obviously you have had a bad experience with the Kodiak.
As an overall average do you believe this to be the case or just a small percentage?

The question here is, "Do you believe that you are the exception or the rule?"
Obviously you have had a bad experience with the Kodiak.
As an overall average do you believe this to be the case or just a small percentage?
Sounds like an exception, between myself, brothers, father, and friends I've seen and shot probably 20 sakos, never seen one have any mechanical or stock issues or one that couldn't shoot under MOA.

I'm very likely to purchase a 9.3x62 in sako grizzly when i have the funds.

Throw a limbsaver on in bigger cals and you're good to go

Last edited:
With respect, four loads isn't many. If it is then you must have been very lucky to this point with getting great groups.

As for optilocks what's your concern? I personally love them, once dropped my sako bavarian off my shoulder tahr hunting. Fell about a metre and lamded Scope first on a boulder. Fired a couple of shots at 200m and still shot bang on.

I have a Kodiak with optilock rings. Mine is deadly accurate and one of the smoothest feeding rifles I've ever owned. The short barrel is perfect for hunting in heavy brush. The iron sights are also excellent. Here's mine in action on a Water Buffalo in Australia.

My Sako Kodiak .375H&H was deadly accurate, but I never shot groups and didn’t have a chronograph. It had feeding issues with four in the magazine, but fed well with three if they were initially positioned correctly. Initially I had a Zeiss scope on it, in the Optiloks. I ran-out of adjustment a few inches left at 100m. I bought a little Swarovski just before taking it to Botswana and never looked back. It was a great combination, but I sold the rifle to an F-18 pilot to fund the .500 Jeffery - didn’t feel secure enough walking my wife through the monsoon season long grass to our fishing spots.

I used to be the product manager for Sako at Beretta USA, so I know quite a bit about these rifles. They are tested to shoot within 1" at 100 yards, so they come with a MOA guarantee. Obviously, the ammo they use is SAKO, and they test them in controlled conditions, but they were among the first to offer such a guarantee.

The barrels are cold-hammer-forged, which in theory gives more molecular consistency in the metal. With today's steel, that's largely academic, but it's as good a method for rifling barrels as any other. The action has been changed from a push-feed (SAKO 75) to a controlled-round feed (85), which means quite a bit to some shooters who are worried about jams or working the action in awkward positions (this too is rather academic IMO).

The Optilock scope-mounting system is one of the best I've ever encountered, since the rings hold the scope firmly in place but without damaging the tube. I've traveled quite a bit with SAKO rifles and the zero never changed once I deplaned.

Triggers are adjustable, and depending on the model you get (they now import on-and-off Euro models) you may have one with a set trigger. Anyway, 2 to 4 lbs is the regular adjustment range, and I have never wanted anything better than a SAKO trigger adjusted to about 2.5 lbs. You can still feel the pull, but it's crisp and free of any creep.

The 3 massive locking lugs in the action make it strong and positive, so you never have to worry about hot-rodding your loads.

Bottom line: these guys have been making and optimizing rifles for decades, so you'll never have to worry about quality dips like with other companies that have changed hands/philosophy. Full disclosure: I don't own a SAKO because I rather shoot English vintage pieces, but if I had to buy a new bolt rifle I wouldn't hesitate to get one. I honestly can't think of a more reliable, accurate, steady piece of equipment than this brand. It will also turn heads in camp, since it's a premium product well known by connoisseurs. Enjoy it and get the most out of the venerable .375.

I have 4 Sakos and concur. I get my triggers adjusted to 1.5 lbs though.
Absolutely love them!

Sounds like an exception, between myself, brothers, father, and friends I've seen and shot probably 20 sakos, never seen one have any mechanical or stock issues or one that couldn't shoot under MOA.

I'm very likely to purchase a 9.3x62 in sako grizzly when i have the funds.

Throw a limbsaver on in bigger cals and you're good to go
Kinda what I was thinking as well when it comes to Sako in general.
I don't doubt that there are those who have experienced bad rifles from Sako, like Anthony3403.
However, there are always going to be those who don't like (insert product here) but by percentage, how many are there really.

Wow. I have rarely if ever heard an accuracy complaint about a Sako - ergonomics occasionally, and once a .300 with feeding issues - but never accuracy. I've owned quite a few over the years, and currently have three. They range from .223 to 9.3x62 (Arctos). Each and every one was/is sub-moa.

Mine had feeding and ejection issues and I felt the stock kicked me much more than it should for a .375. Kind of like Ruger stocks. I fixed the feeding issue but did not resolve the ejection issue really. One thing I did not try was to modify the bolt stop tho throw the cases harder. Without a scope it ejected fine but with any scope - and I tried a few (1" and 30mm tubes) - the ejected empty cases would end up back in the receiver, causing the next bolt cycle to jam the rifle. That got tiring very quickly. I was willing to use the rifle as open sights only but in the end traded it on a Brno CZ 550 in .45 8Lott and some other .375. The fit and finish was typically Finnish, :D I.e. beautiful. The action was smooth and the rifle was very accurate. But the CRF was not all that CRF and with the other issues it all ended up rather disappointing for me.

My .375 Sako Kodiak may be more accurate than my Blaser, but, it is true, if you don't cycle the bolt with great authority, sometimes the empty brass hits the 1in Swarovski scope I have on it. I'll probably eventually sell mine, as I have a Blaser R8, but, I like it so much, I can't bring myself to put it on Gunbroker yet.

I love mine in 375 H&H, mounted Talley quick detach rings, great customer service from Talley.
Used mine on Montana elk, SA plains game from gazelle up to Sable. Returning west in 2024 for elk.
I agree with a previous post the iron sights are excellent!
Hornaday Superperformance super accurate.

My .375 Sako Kodiak may be more accurate than my Blaser, but, it is true, if you don't cycle the bolt with great authority, sometimes the empty brass hits the 1in Swarovski scope I have on it. I'll probably eventually sell mine, as I have a Blaser R8, but, I like it so much, I can't bring myself to put it on Gunbroker yet.
What you could do is take off the Swaro scope and put on a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20...I know it's blasphemy to take off a Swaro but hear me out.

The Leupold scope doesn't have a turret on the left side. So you could mount the scope and turn it 90 degrees to the left. With a duplex reticle it wouldn't make a difference. This will remove the turret from the loading gate side and help prevent this issue.

Last option (or maybe better than taking off the Swaro). There is also a repair that can be made to the ejector/extractor that @Longwalker had done to his Sako. If you give him a shout, he can provide the details.

I have the brown bear in 416 rigby and 500 Jeffrey. The 416 is a laser. I used the leupold QD rings and I think medium height. It feeds and ejects great. I had some trouble with some norma brass, but I'm not 100% sure that it was not an issue with the brass. Everything else has feed and ejected well on the 416. The 500 Jeff had a little hitch about every 10 or 12 cycles it would hang up. It is off at MNR customs to get that lined out. The 500 Jeffrey is a notoriously troublesome feeder. The 21" barrel is great, trigger is great, mag capacity is great. Front sight is adjustable for elevation. Very accurate rifles.

Old thread, but I have the Sako Kodiak and Sako Black Bear (my Kodiak is in .338). Awesome feel and balance to both. I do wish they made the front sight smaller…even for an express sight, the bead is very large. Perfect size for close range/potential dangerous game, but not something I’d want to use on a 100 yard shot. If you scope it then it doesn’t really matter.

My "new to me" Sako Kodiak .375 arrived in the mail today, and I promptly took it out to my target range. My second 100 yd group was just under an inch, five shots, with the last two shots taken after the scope was taken off and re-attached. I'm liking the Leupold QD mounts it came with too!
I also received a nice old Brno 21H in 7x64 that I will be playing with too. It was a good day!
View attachment 173583

Nice pairing for an African hunt.
Nice Bear rifle too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brookbeans941

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!