eugeneb

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hi,

Recently bought the rifle mentioned in the topic. Have not receved it yet, could not find too many reviews via google ... curious re feedback and was wondering whether there are people here that has any practical experience with the rifle. It comes with a 21" barrel.

Thanks,
Eugene

Nice rifle! I have owned Sako but not this one. It will bark that's for sure. Please post a review when you get it.

Sakos are great guns, always read good reviews for their. 375 s

I used to be the product manager for Sako at Beretta USA, so I know quite a bit about these rifles. They are tested to shoot within 1" at 100 yards, so they come with a MOA guarantee. Obviously, the ammo they use is SAKO, and they test them in controlled conditions, but they were among the first to offer such a guarantee.

The barrels are cold-hammer-forged, which in theory gives more molecular consistency in the metal. With today's steel, that's largely academic, but it's as good a method for rifling barrels as any other. The action has been changed from a push-feed (SAKO 75) to a controlled-round feed (85), which means quite a bit to some shooters who are worried about jams or working the action in awkward positions (this too is rather academic IMO).

The Optilock scope-mounting system is one of the best I've ever encountered, since the rings hold the scope firmly in place but without damaging the tube. I've traveled quite a bit with SAKO rifles and the zero never changed once I deplaned.

Triggers are adjustable, and depending on the model you get (they now import on-and-off Euro models) you may have one with a set trigger. Anyway, 2 to 4 lbs is the regular adjustment range, and I have never wanted anything better than a SAKO trigger adjusted to about 2.5 lbs. You can still feel the pull, but it's crisp and free of any creep.

The 3 massive locking lugs in the action make it strong and positive, so you never have to worry about hot-rodding your loads.

Bottom line: these guys have been making and optimizing rifles for decades, so you'll never have to worry about quality dips like with other companies that have changed hands/philosophy. Full disclosure: I don't own a SAKO because I rather shoot English vintage pieces, but if I had to buy a new bolt rifle I wouldn't hesitate to get one. I honestly can't think of a more reliable, accurate, steady piece of equipment than this brand. It will also turn heads in camp, since it's a premium product well known by connoisseurs. Enjoy it and get the most out of the venerable .375.

Last edited:
I bought a Sako 85/375H&H and contacted Sako to buy scope rings, as yet I haven't mounted.
When I first held the rifle, shoulder it and experienced the iron sights, I questioned why I would need a scope under 200 yds.
Would someone suggest a detachable scope mount.
Thx

Eeleel,

Sako bases are easily converted into quick-detachable mounts. All you need is to replace the hex-screw-head with a lever. I've seen it done several times.

Since the other side of the base sits snugly against the male part of the dovetail, the zero is quite easy to keep.

Eeleel,

Sako bases are easily converted into quick-detachable mounts. All you need is to replace the hex-screw-head with a lever. I've seen it done several times.

Since the other side of the base sits snugly against the male part of the dovetail, the zero is quite easy to keep.
Thank you! A great suggestion, is there a recommendation of a gunsmith?

I think any gunsmith with the appropriate tools should be able to swap that screw out for you. I've heard good things about Midwest Gun Works--you may want to check them out.

It's the rifle in my avatar. Love it, used it on red, fallow and sambar deer, and pigs. In SA used it on warthog, Impala, oryx, baboon and zebra. It's been a fantastic rifle and I plan on using it for many more hunts.

Very accurate, comfortable to shoot and tough in bad conditions.

Mine is BORINGLY ACCURATE, just like all the other Sako's I have owned or hunted with. Very easy to shoot, and I am not a big man. The open sights are the BEST I have ever seen on a rifle.

Update: after posting my last reply, I seemed to vaguely remember there being a SAKO Optilock quick-detach mount. I have checked with the current product manager, and sure enough, it's still being offered. It ain't cheap--IIRC, we're talking a few hundreds--but it's as good as it gets for a SAKO rifle.

Best, TL

Thanks for your comments, appreciated.

Update: after posting my last reply, I seemed to vaguely remember there being a SAKO Optilock quick-detach mount. I have checked with the current product manager, and sure enough, it's still being offered. It ain't cheap--IIRC, we're talking a few hundreds--but it's as good as it gets for a SAKO rifle.

Best, TL

Thanks for the update !

Mine is BORINGLY ACCURATE, just like all the other Sako's I have owned or hunted with. Very easy to shoot, and I am not a big man. The open sights are the BEST I have ever seen on a rifle.

Agreed! The open sights make wonder why an optic at < 200 yards.

After reading this I have a Sako Kodiak .375 coming in the mail. I like Sakos and have a couple others, so i'm looking forward to good times with this one.

My "new to me" Sako Kodiak .375 arrived in the mail today, and I promptly took it out to my target range. My second 100 yd group was just under an inch, five shots, with the last two shots taken after the scope was taken off and re-attached. I'm liking the Leupold QD mounts it came with too!
I also received a nice old Brno 21H in 7x64 that I will be playing with too. It was a good day!
IMG_5630.JPG

I had a Sako Brown Bear in 375 H&H which I sold , I liked how it shouldered and felt however I could never liked it in the bush and eventually sold it .

Great looking guns! I borrowed a Sako .375 H&H for my Kodiak hunts. Shot extremely well, but kicked the snot out of me. Went through maybe 4 boxes to learn to shoot it. My buds at the range laughed every time I pulled the trigger. None wanted to try it out.
I'm 155 lbs and My buds were 220-250 lbs. I guess they absorbed the recoil? It just nocked me back a step or two.
My MRC in 375 has a great muzzle brake. It recoils less than a Kimber in 308 I had.
Enjoy your new toys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross