Safari/Hunt Clothing Recommendations

I firmly believe that a safari in South Africa is an experience that is enhanced by looking the part. It's a chance to step out of the ordinary and give us the illusion that we belong to a fraternity going back to the good old days when men (and women) dressed well and cared about class and details. As such, I like to look traditional--which is easy to do while also being 100% comfortable.

1648136382293.png

1648136450191.png

@Tom Leoni, that rifle is flat out beautiful! Great taste sir.

T
Look at the line of Merino Wool from KUIU or First Lite. Their light weight stuff is amazing at wicking sweat and drying fast. Not cheap, but worth it in my humble opinion.

Thanks! Looks to be just what I need. Mike.

For where I hunt in Namibia. Courtney Selous boots. All day comfortable and gaiters. 5 11 shirts in drab colors to match the bush. Short pants from Cabela's (their beach shorts) much quieter for stalking. Sure you will get scratched up but that heals and you won't botch up the stalk on the biggest Kudu your PH has ever seen. Wide brim hat. Light wind proof jacket for those early morning rides in the truck headed to the bush. Pack light. Laundry done every day. Enjoy the experience.

Look at the line of Merino Wool from KUIU or First Lite. Their light weight stuff is amazing at wicking sweat and drying fast. Not cheap, but worth it in my humble opinion.

This, any wool but Merino is best and KUIU make a good product. Avoid bamboo, it wicks then holds moisture worse than Cotton. At the end of the day wool does not stink as bad as the synthetics.

...oh, and if you go for elegant safari gear, don't worry about looking like a dude. Most of us are dudes when we go to Africa to hunt for a couple weeks as clients, regardless of what we wear! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For safari in South Africa, more than the color of your clothing (pants and shirts) is that your game drives are done in open vehicles, so you better be prepared for cold and windy, regardless the season. Do pack a scarf, gloves, socks and at least a heavy fleece, sweatshirt or windbreaker and have a thermal-t.

We've seen few people decked out in "typical safari" clothing - and the few who were, everyone else thought they were staff at Singita. Most other guests wore whatever they wanted - jeans (every color), khakis (every shade), shirts or t-shirts in every color one could imagine, and the same with shoes. So apparently whatever is "recommended" went right out the window at Singita, as well as, at Honeyguide, a very rustic camp at one-third the price, where we spent the earlier two days. Nobody "dressed" for dinner at Singita; women might have added a colorful scarf to nice casual slacks and sweater, some of the younger women wore little "slip dresses," one man had on a sports jacket, most others simply wore slacks and a shirt.

I bought one LS KUIU, and love it in current 50 degree weather. Yes, I sweat when working outside at 50 degrees! Will wait to order a couple more until tested in Iowa summer 80 degrees and a few washing cycles. I see they now have all the colors available in XL. Want the dark green and tan also. I think I'll be fine in Namibia early mornings in the 40's. That's balmy to me! All the warnings about cold morning truck rides probably don't don't apply to me; I blow snow on an open tractor at zero degrees here in Iowa! Thanks! Mike Wachtel, Lacona, IA

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeraAllwoo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.