Ruger No1 in 470NE

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
I have a 470 SxS but scoping it proved unsuccessful (I tried a Trijicon RMR on their custom mount); but couldnt get it zeroed. On top of that, I couldnt get used to not seeing the "dot" co-witnessed with the iron sights. So that got me thinking about a single shot 470NE. Yeah I understand its not what you'd call a long range cartridge; but with an optic (even a red dot), it would stretch the round a bit--especially for aging eyes.

The Ruger No1 seems the perfect candidate. I have a 577NE built by SSK Industries, so I "know", OK I "guess" its possible. Yep it would be costly to do right and Id certainly want to add some weight to the rifle; but It would also mean less logistics issues with ammo.

Thoughts.

I think giving me the . 470 sxs would be the perfect way to start your new project.

I do understand the advantages of optics, and think it would be a very practical idea.

Might be wrong, but I think @CAustin is a No. 1 user. Surely he'll offer some thoughts. Soon as he recovers from jet lag.

I have the Ruger #1 in the 458 Lott. I also think it was built as a 450/400
My Lott is iron sights but could easily have the scope mounted over!

I know they used to make the Ruger No 1 in 416 Rigby, that might be a place to start your project. They're beautiful rifles, I hear they kick a bit more than some.

The Ruger No. 1 can easily accommodate the 470 NE. The feeding/ejection area will need to be opened a bit and the extractor modified, but it's otherwise a simple project. Pac-Nor used to do barrels for the No. 1, pre-chambered and pre-threaded (and cut/crowned/contoured as well, of course). It's then a simple job of setting the shoulder back until you've the appropriate headspace, then milling out the extractor slot (and doing the finish work common to any project).

I have the Ruger #1 in the 458 Lott. I also think it was built as a 450/400
My Lott is iron sights but could easily have the scope mounted over!

I'm guessing that, if not originally a 458 Lott (Ruger did chamber the Lott for a time, as you likely know), it was a 458 Winchester (unless yours was a complete re-barrel as the 450/400, as Ruger makes it, has quite a lot less meat in the barrel than you'd want in a 458 Lott!).

I'm guessing that, if not originally a 458 Lott (Ruger did chamber the Lott for a time, as you likely know), it was a 458 Winchester (unless yours was a complete re-barrel as the 450/400, as Ruger makes it, has quite a lot less meat in the barrel than you'd want in a 458 Lott!).

CT what I was saying is that I have a #1 in a 458 Lott and it was made that way. In addition I am reasonably sure Ruger made the #1 for a time in the 450/400.
What I am not informed about is if the #1 was ever produced in the 470 NE....I have never seen it chambered that way.

Gary Reeder in Flagstaff, AZ does great work on #1's also.

CT what I was saying is that I have a #1 in a 458 Lott and it was made that way. In addition I am reasonably sure Ruger made the #1 for a time in the 450/400.
What I am not informed about is if the #1 was ever produced in the 470 NE....I have never seen it chambered that way.

Understood.

The No. 1 has been chambered in 450/400. It's a VERY sweet option in the falling block from Ruger. A lot of them have been for sale online, new and used. The herd may be thinning, though (not sure...haven't checked lately). As for the No. 1 in 470 NE, that's only ever been an aftermarket custom option.

Coincidentally, when I was looking for a new heavy I was somewhat torn between the No. 1 in 450/400 and the Guide Gun in 416 Ruger. In the end I decided to go with the Guide Gun for the following reasons:

1. Slightly better ballistics in a 20 inch barrel
2. 416 bore = a greater availability of components (in short, a great many more bullets of many different weights and configurations)
3. Bolt action
4. Stainless steel (always a practical choice, when an option)

Basically, as I've mentioned elsewhere on the site, the 416 Ruger in the compact Guide Gun (or Alaskan) is, in my opinion, a modern day 450/400. In short, it's a winner!!!

sorry to change the topic slightly, but I am currently looking at a 450/400 #1 .

I can't make my mind up on the rifle.

sorry to change the topic slightly, but I am currently looking at a 450/400 #1 .

I can't make my mind up on the rifle.

Larry,
After Pieter shot my Guide Gun last weekend he wants one! I love the number 1 and have shouldered the 450/400 and like all #1 s it felt great. But I am very fond of all Number Ones.

Larry,
After Pieter shot my Guide Gun last weekend he wants one! I love the number 1 and have shouldered the 450/400 and like all #1 s it felt great. But I am very fond of all Number Ones.

Guide Gun / Alaskan are great rifles , I have just sourced an Alaskan in 375 Ruger in the USA .

Larry you will be getting a great rifle. The M77 frame is a good one.

Are all No1s the same, if Im just buying one to use the action, or do I need to look for a Tropical?

I know they used to make the Ruger No 1 in 416 Rigby, that might be a place to start your project. They're beautiful rifles, I hear they kick a bit more than some.

A friend of mine has a No1 in 416. You are right. It kicks like a mule. In a Winchester Model 70 it is tolerable.

A friend of mine has a No1 in 416. You are right. It kicks like a mule. In a Winchester Model 70 it is tolerable.

Nothing a good Limbsaver pad wouldn't cure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilliamcoUlt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you