Varget, Maximum Load = 73 grains
RL-15, Maximum Load = 76 grains
24" Test Barrel showed:
Varget = 2302 fps
RL-15 = 2311 fps

Fastest Velocity = RL-2000MR
Maximum Load, 79 grains = 2378 fps
Thanks for that!

I use PowerPro 2000. I'll have to shoot it over the graph sometime and see what velocities I'm getting.

That's what I use in my 9.3x62.

62 gr under a Hornady 286 gives me about 2420 fps (62.4 gr is published max for this load)

A very detailed, 2 part article on the 416 Ruger w/ 20 inch barrel from Realguns.com. Part 2 has a fair amount of reloading data.

https://www.realguns.com/archives/172.htm/
https://www.realguns.com/archives/177.htm/

I cannot get on to the realguns website. Is it still active or is the problem on my side? If anyone can access it I will appreciate it if you can send me the info listed there as I am working on loads for my 416 Ruger with Hodgon and IMR powders.

Thanks in advance...

All my best,

Jacques

Realguns.com is still active, however it went to a $30/year subscription. Well worth it, IMHO. There are usually two articles a week published and lots of reloading info.

H335 is your friend here
74gr H335/ CEB 400gr solid 2337fps COL 3.32" mildly compressed
Stupid accurate in my 416 Guide Gun
You will be better served with a 350 TSX or a 370 CEC Raptor
74gr H335 350TSX COL 3.406" average 2526fps, very accurate, easy to shoot, good working load

much less recoil with the 350's vs the 400's

My new toy! No guide gun, but a custom made rifle based on the Mauser 66S system.
With 24" barrel total length less than 44".
M66_1.jpg

I just received my latest edition of Shooting Times and Joseph Von Benedikt stated he obtained a velocity of nearly 2440 fps in his 416 Ruger Hawkeye African with Hornady DGX and DGS 400 grain factory ammunition. Pretty impressive.

I have a Ruger Alaskan 416. I have a chrony. I need to see what velocity mine gets although 2200-2300 is plenty. I've read a few articles that makes me suspect newer production ammo may be loaded a little hotter. Craig Boddington wrote a few years ago about obtaining 2330 fps from a Ruger Alaskan.

I've been on the hunt for a 416 Guide Gun, these have become quite difficult to find.

I don't think Ruger has produced any in a while now.

I've been on the hunt for a 416 Guide Gun, these have become quite difficult to find.

I don't think Ruger has produced any in a while now.
Couple things. The 416 pushing a 400 gr bullet to the magic 2400 fps generates a lot of recoil. Seems to me the Hawkeye/Guide Gun platform is a tad too small or too light to significantly mitigate much of that recoil. I know a bunch of the original 375 Rugers in the Hawkeye were sold after the first, off the bench range session.

Secondly, IMO Ruger stubbed their toe in the design of knob on their three position safety in the basic Hawkeye platform. The early ones are certainly too small especially for gloved use or DG use. Don’t know if they ever corrected that flaw in later models?

Just saying

Last edited:
I really like my 375R Alaskan Hawkeye. With that said, the bolt knob and safety are issues for me. Too small and short of knob and the safety would be better if were a bit taller, stick up a little, and quieter to use.
I'm going to use it for bear hunting and those critters have great hearing!!

@TOBY458 is this still available? I had to ask before someone else comes along an does so.

Whatever, I’m not falling for that trick again!

You would be the belle of the ball in Zim with those on!

Couple things. The 416 pushing a 400 gr bullet to the magic 2400 fps generates a lot of recoil. Seems to me the Hawkeye/Guide Gun platform is a tad too small or too light to significantly mitigate much of that recoil. I know a bunch of the original 375 Rugers in the Hawkeye were sold after the first, off the bench range session.

Secondly, IMO Ruger stubbed their toe in the design of knob on their three position safety in the basic Hawkeye platform. The early ones are certainly too small especially for gloved use or DG use. Don’t know if they ever corrected that flaw in later models?

Just saying
From what I've read it sounds like they're moving at closer to 2,300 FPS out of these 20" Ruger barrels.

I'm sure the recoil will still be noticeable. At 8.2lbs that's about a pound lighter than my 375H&H.

To expand on that, it appears the 416 Ruger is a lighter recoiling cartridge compared to the 416 Rigby according to the Chuck Hawks recoil table.

Both cartridges are reported to produce 58.1ft-lbs of recoil despite the 416 Ruger in a 9lbs rifle vs the 416 Rigby in a 10 pound rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkdagasv388

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg