Ruger Guide Gun 416

20171106_154156.jpg

Well, I finally got around to mounting a scope. It's a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20. Should be an excellent scope for buffalo on lower power, and on 5x it should be fine for PG. At least out to a couple hundred yards or so.

Great looking rifle!

Does the swift manual have loads for the 450/400?

Seems like I know another fella who has used one of these on a buffalo and elephant.....hmmmm......

Don't forget this!
IMG_0495.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info! I imagine the shorter barrel will lose around 75fps. The actual data I've seen with the 20" barrel shows around 2275 fps with lead core bullets.
With the hornady factory loads I would say that is true but I would guess you are going to get around 2150-2200 with handloads unless you can find some of those old Tungsten cored TBBCs. Those things were short enough to free up some powder capacity and lower pressures.

With R15 or W760 you can get 2,250 fps with 400 grain bullets, any 400 grain bullet, in a 20 inch barrel. My experience.

The Hornady reloading manual will bear this out (although obviously with their bullets, alone...all other reloading manuals I have, which is several, tested 416 Ruger loads in a 24-25” barrel and so is not apples to apples with regard to the Alaskan or Guide Gun).

With R15 or W760 you can get 2,250 fps with 400 grain bullets, any 400 grain bullet, in a 20 inch barrel. My experience.

The Hornady reloading manual will bear this out (although obviously with their bullets, alone...all other reloading manuals I have, which is several, tested 416 Ruger loads in a 24-25” barrel and so is not apples to apples with regard to the Alaskan or Guide Gun).
The Hornady DGX and DGS bullets are a little bit faster because they're harder material and not as easy to deform. This builds pressure and maintains it better throughout the trip down the bore. The older interlocks are so soft that the velocity you get for the same powder charge is significantly slower. This was brought home to me when shooting the 350 grain Speer hot-cors vs the 340 grain woodleigh Weldcore. With the same powder charge, the soft speers clocked 2445 FPS while the woodleigh got an amazing 2550 FPS simply because they have a thicker jacket!

Faster powder?
Nope both were 84 grains of Alliant PP 2000-MR. Identical powder, identical charge 100-125FPS difference in velocity.

Checked my Woodleigh reloading manual. They tested the 416 Ruger in a 20 inch barreled Alaskan (as did Hornady) and got better than 2,300 fps with their 400 grain soft point and just a smidgen under 2,300 fps with their 400 grain solid (with 450 grain Woodleigh bullets the velocity was around 2,150 fps, from the same 20 inch barrel...not bad!).

I mean try a faster powder for the softer, slower bullets?
The highest velocity powder in a manual will almost always yield the highest velocities, regardless of bullet or barrel length. All a faster powder would do is decrease muzzle flash a bit due to the lower temp and pressure at the muzzle. The faster powders pressure curve would spike much more rapidly but then dip off just as quick. You need sustained burn for the first few inches of the barrel. Even slow powders are all consumed in the first 8 inches of barrel so you're looking for the powder that produces the largest area under the pressure curve. 99% of the time, that will always be the highest velocity powder in the manual provided you are shooting tight fitting bullets. whether you're shooting soft lead bullets (not advisable in a rifle at high velocity and pressure) or solid brass bullets. At least that is what has been written by men far more knowledgeable on the subject than I am, but my own experience has born this out as well. It's all semantics in the end I guess though, as a 400 grain .416 solid bullet can reach an elephant brain from any angle when fired at only 2050 FPS so anything else is just icing on the cake and bragging rights.

It's all semantics in the end I guess though, as a 400 grain .416 solid bullet can reach an elephant brain from any angle when fired at only 2050 FPS so anything else is just icing on the cake and bragging rights.

Agreed (indeed, for the 450-400 has been doing the same, and rather admirably at that, for better than 100 years now).

If you are a Swift bullet user, The Swift Reloading Manual Number 2 has several loads.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would you mind sharing the max load that Swift shows using their 400grain A-frame bullet with RL15 and Varget powder? Also, what's the fastest velocity powder they show?

I am away from my book for another couple of days. But, I will send the info to you.

Would you mind sharing the max load that Swift shows using their 400grain A-frame bullet with RL15 and Varget powder? Also, what's the fastest velocity powder they show?

Thanks for the info! So basically I'll be shooting the equivalent of a 404 Jeffrey. I do reload, and have a couple of cans of RL15 on hand. It seems to work well for most bottle neck large medium bore rifles.
If you run out RL15 don't be afraid to try some Norma 203B.

416 Ruger, Swift Reloading Manual #2:
400 grain Swift A-Frame
Varget, Maximum Load = 73 grains
RL-15, Maximum Load = 76 grains
24" Test Barrel showed:
Varget = 2302 fps
RL-15 = 2311 fps

Fastest Velocity = RL-2000MR
Maximum Load, 79 grains = 2378 fps

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross