Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

I am a diver. More than a recreational diver. Since the advent of wrist based dive computers most divers don’t wear dive watches past nostalgia. The hardest thing on a dive watch, when your diving, is the dive boat. Your watch gets beat to shit, as the boat moves, you move and your gear moves. Expensive watches don‘t fare well. I have also seen my share of expensive watch get lost as people didn’t understand pressure and how the nice metal band, w/it‘s divers extension, will become so loose as pressure is applied to your body/wetsuit that the watch slips right off your arm.

Anywho, 200m screw down crown watches are great for swimming, snorkeling and basic recreational scuba.

When I dive and wear a watch, it’s a 200m Seiko or Aqualand. I also wear a Casio Rangeman when cave diving. It takes abuse better.

Professional dive watches w/HE valves…lol.….show for anybody but sat divers.

I started diving before dive computers were available to recreational divers. Even when I became an instructor they were in their infancy. I went on to run a small dive school, get involved in the deep wreck and trimix game, before settling on freedving and giving up the gas completely. BSAC, NAUI, TDI, SSI certs, yadda yadda. Have dove all over the planet and still never enter the water without a watch with a uni-directional bezel that I set as soon as my feet get wet.

Had a Seiko SKX since day one. My father bought it for me when I got my original BSAC cert. Always with the factory expanding strap. It's beat to shit and I almost never wear it anymore but gives me a smile every time I see it. the bezel is almost unreadable, and the crystal has chip in it from falling on the deck when a stage bottle caught on a ladder.

I love when the watch gurus on YouTube rage about the lack of He valves on "Desk Divers". That being said worked with a lot of professional divers that treated their Submariners like a rented mule...

Happy Easter!

IWC Da Vinci
Image1711917825.076714.jpg

HH

Had a Seiko SKX since day one. My father bought it for me when I got my original BSAC cert. Always with the factory expanding strap. It's beat to shit and I almost never wear it anymore but gives me a smile every time I see it. the bezel is almost unreadable, and the crystal has chip in it from falling on the deck when a stage bottle caught on a ladder.

That being said worked with a lot of professional divers that treated their Submariners like a rented mule...

I've seen the bezel part on anyone who works on a dive boat.

I've seen more Seiko watches than anything else on the few professional divers I knew (very few). They all had expensive watches that they blew their checks on, though.

My understanding is that the dealers sell the watch to person for well above msrp, and also get a kick back from that person when it’s flipped. Stainless Rolex, as a result often sell near gold prices

I'm sure this could possibly happen but I will bet 99% of the time it does not. Like I said, it's career suicide to get caught. I don't know the particulars of what's involved with getting an AD contract but I've heard it's the farthest thing from easy. Lots of AD's do their absurd due diligence for this reason. Once that watch leaves the store, they hope and pray that it went to an owner's wrist and not the vehicle trunk or center console of a flipper.

Never the less, it does happen. Probably not a whole lot in terms of percentage of sales. Like I said, my private seller gets most of his NIB's from friends, associates that are really good clients of AD's. They buy, give to seller, and seller gives them a kickback. The AD has no idea what's going on.

Rolex has a way of finding out where the serial numbers went to. It's even rumored that insurance companies will report serials back to Rolex.

I wear a watch for nostalgia now or a simple bottom timer.

View attachment 596614

Always used my Marathon GSAR as a backup bottom timer. 90% of people will have no concept of what these watches were meant for. A lot of the new courses (tech) don't even teach students how to manually time bottom and deco stops anymore. Kinda scary.

It's right next to my dive computer in this pic but the bulkiness of the drysuit and gloves swallows it up.

Dive.jpg

I also think Rolex doesn’t want to be attributed to the money laundering tactic. Carrying high priced watches across borders instead of cash.

So they can demonstrate to tax authorities they are not willfully helping

errrr. derrrr.... derp...errrrrr

Seriously, why are you even still posting in this thread? You made in very clear you think those of us that show a predilection high end timepieces are stupid. 2000+ plus posts and <1yr membership. I'm going to guess the rest of them are just as relevant.

View attachment 596234
I love your Polar! I have one and it’s the only Rolex that I’d have!

For anyone Stateside I always buy my watches through EBay! They have the best prices, no dealer markup, and frequently coupons that can save you hundreds ove dollars! I used a $600 coupon from them on my PanerI!
But the best reason is their authentication process that the seller has to send the watch to, so when you buy you know 100% what you are getting!
Here are two videos on the process-

Situational awareness is as important as ever. Stay frosty my friends.

I wonder what's the going rate for a decent working, "advertised" fake Rolex?

if there is such a thing. Lab Diamonds outsell, mined.

errrr. derrrr.... derp...errrrrr

Seriously, why are you even still posting in this thread? You made in very clear you think those of us that show a predilection high end timepieces are stupid. 2000+ plus posts and <1yr membership. I'm going to guess the rest of them are just as relevant.

View attachment 596234
picked up the same reference in a black dial fairly recently. Absolutely love it.

I wonder what's the going rate for a decent working, "advertised" fake Rolex?

if there is such a thing. Lab Diamonds outsell, mined.

The best ones are currently north of $1500.

The best ones are currently north of $1500.
Rolex guy told me this joke so don't crucify me for it...

What's the only thing worse than a fake Rolex...a real one. :A Whistle:

There has been good content, advice, home decor, everything in the thread, thank you. From a Citizen guy. I do like some of these steel blue-ish faces.
1712100730303.png

This is on Ebay for: $1 Million.
had to look ..
1712100184869.png

An after thought: "The Rolex Name" legality.

Yamaha makes digital piano's, uprights, relatively inexpensive. It mimics Yamaha Grand & the Bosendorfer Grand. I always wondered how they use the Bosendorfer "Name".

Bösendorfer (L. Bösendorfer Klavierfabrik GmbH) is an Austrian piano manufacturer and, since 2008, a wholly owned subsidiary of Yamaha Corporation.[1] Bösendorfer is unusual in that it produces 97- and 92-key models in addition to instruments with standard 88-key

There has been good content, advice, home decor, everything in the thread, thank you. From a Citizen guy. I do like some of these steel blue-ish faces.
View attachment 596988

This is on Ebay for: $1 Million.
had to look ..
View attachment 596987

The Citizen Tsuyosa is a great alternative to the Rolex Oyster Perpetual.

I have a couple 44mm Citizen Eco's on the way. Tried on one of them in a store. Going to see if I like the bigger watches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocky12K91

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double