Rifle weight

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by bruce moulds, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

Man!

Two great answers.

Years ago while learning from two magnificent gunsmiths who were old style formally trained in Germany before the war were not very sympathetic to full sized young men who wanted their gun lightened up.

I remember some of their conversations would give advice like, loose some weight, quit eating so much, go to the gym, have sex more often and you'd be strong enough to carry the rifle, and so on...

But! If you said that you were doing high mountain hunting for sheep and goats and the like they would build some very beautiful light weight rifles, just never in dg rounds.

I believe that if someone asked for a lightweight dg rifle to be built that they would have walked them to the front door and just pushed them out and locked the door and pulled the shade.

I asked them both why they wouldn't accept the work and heir answer was pretty much that they had no time for foolishness as they said that maybe one in a thousand men could handle it.

Anyway they lived long enough to see new rifles on the rack with pencil thin barrels and stock made out of frp and rifles so light that are a joy to carry and many just no fun to shoot.

If someone can take the pounding and still hit, then by all means, go light.

2. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    My 375 H&H MRC with Leupold 2-12x, fully loaded, with sling goes right at 10lbs. I’m 71, 156lbs and 5’8”. I live at 5,000+ ft. Work out three days a week including walking to and from the gym. I hunt from 8,500ft and up. But I don’t carry my 375 there. That is country for light weight rifles such as my Tikka in 300WM.
    Admittedly I did need help in Africa carrying my 375 with no sling while buffalo hunting on a very rocky mountain. It was mainly due to the lack of support from my Courtneys. I really needed ankle support on the rocks. Or maybe just a sling. I survived, but the buffalo didn’t.

3. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

Ridgewalker,

Hell! You sound pert as a rutting buck to me.

A few years back I was damaged and even died for a short period of time. They had to take out some intestines parts of organs, put back together some arteries, broke my back and neck in 4 places and right before that at 6'5" and 250 I was feeling much younger than my age. These days I can't feel from the knees down so my days of hunting your mountains are over. Though I guess I shouldn't complain as the doctor told me that they gave me a 5% chance of survival.....after I woke up.

I am glad to see so many guys 65+ still slinging lead and stomping around the world.

Went to Kamchatka and Blasted a nice Brownie with my 458 lightweight not long ago and to me it doesn't kick much, but I have had people hand me the gun back after holding it and just say, "And that don't kick?"

I do want to make one more trip to Africa before anyone gets some idea of sticking me in an old folks home and the wife sells all my stuff off at 5 cents on the dollar!:A Blink:

Ridgewalker likes this.

4. Luvthunt

Luvthunt AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Von S
    They say you are only as old as you feel ——sooo not being able to feel anything makes you a youngster. Keep at it and a you may know that is the only way to GO!!
    Great luck to you for having the “do it” attitude.

Von S. and Ridgewalker like this.

5. Desert Dog

Desert Dog AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    You should use a sling AND get real hiking boots with ankle support!

Ridgewalker likes this.

6. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    You’re right DG. But hindsight is always easier for me than foresight;).
    I keep a sling on the rifle at all times after that lesson. Also I discuss the type terrain before each hunt so I can be more prepared.

7. Luvthunt

Luvthunt AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    For me I have always used a pair or 8” well broken in Danners that the vibrams are worn down some. Excellent ankle support and no [almost] no debris in my boots. Pants come down over the 8” nicely.
    Use a neoprene sling on the 458 Lott and a canvas on the PG rifle. I believe the neoprene helps with the heavier rifle.

Ridgewalker likes this.

8. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    My .375 H&H is just north of 10#. I don’t mind it at all in Africa, however I have to confess that it gets a bit heavy chasing griz in Alaska. I am having a 9.3x62 built that will weigh between 8 1/2 and 9 with scope. It will be interesting to see if it gets carried more than the .375.

Ridgewalker likes this.

9. Luvthunt

Luvthunt AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    WAB,
    What action,barrel and stock are you using to achieve the 8 1/2# weight?

10. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    Dakota Model 10 with a 25” barrel.

11. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    I had to step up one profile from their standard to get what I felt was a reasonable weight for the cartridge.

12. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    The falling block action on the Dakota model 10 will shorten the rifle a bunch compared to a traditional bolt action.
    Should be very handy in the field, even with a 25" barrel.
    Good luck with it and post some pics when it arrives.

13. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Will do

14. Pondoro

Pondoro AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
    My restocked ZKK 602 .375H&H is 11 lbs with scope et all....a joy to shoot and the weight never bothered me..