SkullKeeper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Tanzania, Zambia
Does anyone use Reloader 17 for the 450#2 ? If so please PM me some load details. Thank you in advance for any help

I checked Loaddata.com and found only loads for RL22, IMR-4831, and H-4831. Sorry...

The Woodleigh manual list data for R15, R22, and R25 but no R17.

The Woodleigh manual list data for R15, R22, and R25 but no R17.
I just acquired some RL15 - I had to buy a single lot of powder (gentleman wouldn’t split it up) so now I have 2 pounds of 4064 also. I’ve never used that and don’t know if I can use it. Anyone used it for 404J ?

I presume you've checked Pierre VD Walt's "African Dangerous Game Cartridges" and other reloading references? I don't have my copy to hand but maybe someone with a copy close by could check

Not to state the obvious but another option is to run your gun/cartridge/bullet details through an internal ballistics calculator. Using default settings with a 480gr bullet suggests that RL-17 is probably too slow-burning to be ideal. Tweaking it to your specifics would give a more conclusive simulation.

4064 is probably too fast burning (I assume it's IMR 4064) for the 450 - your case fill would be low with this powder.

For the 404, the IMR4064 looks like it would/should work.

Apologies if you've already done the simulation thing and I'm wasting your time!

I presume you've checked Pierre VD Walt's "African Dangerous Game Cartridges" and other reloading references? I don't have my copy to hand but maybe someone with a copy close by could check

Not to state the obvious but another option is to run your gun/cartridge/bullet details through an internal ballistics calculator. Using default settings with a 480gr bullet suggests that RL-17 is probably too slow-burning to be ideal. Tweaking it to your specifics would give a more conclusive simulation.

4064 is probably too fast burning (I assume it's IMR 4064) for the 450 - your case fill would be low with this powder.

For the 404, the IMR4064 looks like it would/should work.

Apologies if you've already done the simulation thing and I'm wasting your time!
Thank you for the information-I had not done the
simulation and all information is much appreciated ! I actually do have that book and have since posting looked up some of the loading on 404J with 4064. Again, thank you !

17's sweetspot is for the short mag med bore cases using 65ish gr of powder (what it was designed for.) Have had excellent success w/ 4064 and RL19, 22 in bigger bores.

For the 450 #2 the Woodleigh Manual lists the 480gr bullet with 94-95gr's of RL-15. When I plug that into Qickload that charge only fills 65% of the case. All other powders have much slower burn rates. Quickload estimates 110gr's of RL-17, 34310psi, 2237 fps. But that's still only 73% fill. Personally I don't go less than 85% fill. Everything I see indicates slower powders than these are better for this cartridge.

For the .404J, Swift show 71-76.5 gr's RL-15 & 73-79 gr's RL-17. The old A-Square Manual lists 71-80gr's IMR4064 & 72-80gr's of RL-15 with their bullets. Realize this is an older manual and powders have probably change a little.

Be cautious be safe

assuming the 450 no2 is a double, you also have to consider regulation as well as pressure.
when working up loads for a 450 3 1/4, i started with elmer keiths suggestion of 4064.
the shots were all crossing over at safe levels.
ended up with imr 4831for good regulation.
this powder, slow as it is, could produce excess pressure in that case, but safe loads regulated.
the 450 no2 is a bigger capacity, so a slower powder might suit than the 3 1/4 case.
these doubles are a bit of a rule unto themselves, so you just have to do the miles to get optimum results.
at the value of these rifles, and given that slower powders produce less pressure, it might pay to start with a slower powder like re22 or even 25, and work faster until regulation happens.
this should be done in conjunction with a chronograph.
bruce.

assuming the 450 no2 is a double, you also have to consider regulation as well as pressure.
when working up loads for a 450 3 1/4, i started with elmer keiths suggestion of 4064.
the shots were all crossing over at safe levels.
ended up with imr 4831for good regulation.
this powder, slow as it is, could produce excess pressure in that case, but safe loads regulated.
the 450 no2 is a bigger capacity, so a slower powder might suit than the 3 1/4 case.
these doubles are a bit of a rule unto themselves, so you just have to do the miles to get optimum results.
at the value of these rifles, and given that slower powders produce less pressure, it might pay to start with a slower powder like re22 or even 25, and work faster until regulation happens.
this should be done in conjunction with a chronograph.
bruce.
Yes sir I worked up a great load with RL 15, shoots a baseball group at 75 all day. Love using RL15 In my Westley Richards ! Just was running low and have since found some more but at the time I had located some RL 17 and had questions. Thank you for your input. Nice thing about this site is everyone is willing to help.

ScullKeeper, I just checked QuickLoad for a 404 Jeffery using IMR4064 and a 400 Gr Woodleigh SP. For a starting load try 74.5 Gr. You can go a mite higher but should do so providing you don't see any pressure signs. Velocity is expected to be about 2300 FPS.

ScullKeeper, I just checked QuickLoad for a 404 Jeffery using IMR4064 and a 400 Gr Woodleigh SP. For a starting load try 74.5 Gr. You can go a mite higher but should do so providing you don't see any pressure signs. Velocity is expected to be about 2300 FPS.
Good deal - thank you sir

For the 450 #2 the Woodleigh Manual lists the 480gr bullet with 94-95gr's of RL-15. When I plug that into Qickload that charge only fills 65% of the case. All other powders have much slower burn rates. Quickload estimates 110gr's of RL-17, 34310psi, 2237 fps. But that's still only 73% fill. Personally I don't go less than 85% fill. Everything I see indicates slower powders than these are better for this cartridge.

For the .404J, Swift show 71-76.5 gr's RL-15 & 73-79 gr's RL-17. The old A-Square Manual lists 71-80gr's IMR4064 & 72-80gr's of RL-15 with their bullets. Realize this is an older manual and powders have probably change a little.

Be cautious be safe
That’s really good info on the RL 17 and 4064. I currently use 92 grains of RL15 with 500 grain North Fork, and yes I have to add a foam plug to take up space- thank you very much for that 4064 info as well sir

Sounds like you've got what you need but still thought I'd share. This article is a good perspective for so potential tangents. I'm a newbie reloader myself and jumped in full earnest after coming across a big bore and the itch to shoot more projectiles.

400 gr A-frames and 80 gr RL-19 work great in my 450/400. Working up a Woodleigh Hydro load next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg