Red Meat... Best Hunting Vehicle

Well current production is pretty limiting. I prefer my FJ40, but the new cruiser or its Lexus variant would have to get the nod on current production. Don’t even pretend that any of the current Range Rovers are actually hunting vehicles.

Meant the last sentence as a joke, forgot the . Actually really like them but they are more of a suburban luxury vehicle these days.

Meant the last sentence as a joke, forgot the . Actually really like them but they are more of a suburban luxury vehicle these days.

Those new Range Rovers, at least the American ones, are basket-cases. They can't even be compared to something reliable. I've seen 2, personally, blow head gaskets. Basically brand new trucks. One actually almost caused me to crash. Blew the head gasket and threw a steam cloud into me so thick I couldn't see the turn on the ramp in front of me. I was behind it in my vehicle. Tons of electrical problems. I have a client who does autobody and has told me of all the vehicles he works on they are one of the lowest quality and highest dollar.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone but yeah, if you take one of those into the bush you might not be making it out.

The G wagon's eat their lunch all day long but they are pricier. Then again, if you have that much money to spend on a vehicle it probably doesn't matter.

"Current production" makes this quite a challenge.

Two or three decades ago hunters in my area would own something like a Land Rover 110 or Range Rover Classic and use it as their only car. It would take the family to church on Sunday, mom or dad into work monday-friday as well as being the hunting/fishing/vacation/fun vehicle.

These days I see this less often. People arrive at a hunt in an ordinary passenger car and park it by the side of the road. The hunt provides a tractor with a trailer or an argocat or the like for the muddy stuff.

Part of the reason is improvements to rural roads and forest tracks in the area. These days I can drive an ordinary passenger car on tarmac or well maintained gravel roads deep into areas where twenty five years ago a Land Rover or the like would have been necessary.

"Current production" makes this quite a challenge.

Two or three decades ago hunters in my area would own something like a Land Rover 110 or Range Rover Classic and use it as their only car. It would take the family to church on Sunday, mom or dad into work monday-friday as well as being the hunting/fishing/vacation/fun vehicle.

These days I see this less often. People arrive at a hunt in an ordinary passenger car and park it by the side of the road. The hunt provides a tractor with a trailer or an argocat or the like for the muddy stuff.

Current production anything is in a sad state these days in the USA. All the half-tons are going to V6, I6 options with, God help us, turbos. Not turbo diesels, turbo gas. The Jeep Wranglers are still pretty good offroad but a lot need upgrades to really make them really "offroad ready." At least they still have front straight axles vs. CV's. I think if/when they go to CV's that will be their death.

My daily is a 2019 Ram Rebel with the 5.7. I upgraded to Bilstein 5100's with new UCA's, new sway bar end links, and I run stock size BFG KO2's (the king of AT tires, IMO). It does alright. I have the e-locker in the rear if I get into a jam. Thankfully, I've never had anything too serious to overcome. Even then I don't think it can hold a candle to the diesel Frontiers, HiLux, and LC's.

This was a fun trip to the boat ramp in the middle of winter. Especially in the dark. Oh and that's a 2 way traffic "road."

Rebel.jpg

72 Ford Bronco 3 on the tree with a 302

I am thinking back to the 1980's when I first wanted to have a career in a southern African country as a small airplane pilot that many of the established trails or roads were rutted to a certain wheelbase, either Toyota or Land Rover but I do not recall. Maybe both? American trucks would therefore have had a more difficult time at it being wider. But I don't know, something to consider. BTW, I have both an F-150 and a Toyota 4 Runner and love them both, and have always envied having a Defender. I am enjoying the X Overland series on You Tube this week which has 3 or 4 Toyotas and show all of the mechanical issues that any vehicle would have on a multi-day overland trip in various southern African countries.

Last edited:
Currently using a 03 F250. Also have an old 86 Jeep. If I could pick anything, it's be a 70 Series Cruiser

1995 Isuzu Trooper V6, 5 spd is my usual go to hunting truck. Tough as nails, old enough that I do not have to worry about scratching it or getting blood on the carpet. Plus, it is able to pull my hunting buddies Jeeps out of the mud when they get stuck. ML350 4x4 Benz is the back up for longer trips where power and comfort is more important than off-road capability.

ZuZu Trooper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
no clue... it looks like that mount is set up to accept an ammo can (belt fed ammo).. and Ive seen some belt fed M16 variants/concept guns in the past... but I cant see enough in the pic to tell for certain what that is..

the Jamaican trucks had old mid 70's built FN MAG (predecessor to the M240) 762 belt fed guns on them, and they had lightly armored (thin, tempered sheet steel) the cab of the trucks and the turret area.. Im not sure their "armor" would have stopped much more than a pistol or shotgun round.. but it was suitable for their common threats I think.. and kept the trucks from being overweight or from screwing with their performance)...

Now one of those I want :A Thumbs Up:

Saw these at DSC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rowan458

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.