Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
NRA (Life), True Green Alliance
Hunted
USA, Finland, Canada, Africa, Greenland
OK, so I'm about to take the plunge and plonk down the deposit on my first plains-game safari in 2018.

The two areas I'm thinking about (the Karoo and north-central Namibia) have some non-negligible open terrain, which means that some 200-yard shots may be called for. I'm generally very confident in my marksmanship, but when you're halfway across the world shelling out the better part of $1K a day (when everything is counted in) I'd rather keep the gods of accuracy and steadiness fully on my side.

I've never had much experience with shooting sticks, and I've noticed that 1) pretty much everyone uses them for plains game and 2) there was not a thread--that I could find--on AH about them. Since I'd like to spend the next 12 months putting hundreds of rounds through my .375 from every conceivable position, I wanted to ask the more experienced AH'ers which model(s) or brands they recommend.

In particular, something durable whose support won't damage the rifle's wood stock under recoil.

Thanks in advance.

Tom, there's a thread some where on AH, Boddington.

Thanks, that was very informative (save for the troll). I'll definitely check out these sticks. I have absolute confidence in anything that Craig endorses, since I know him personally and find him to be as genuine a sportsman as our generation has produced.

My favorite set in Namibia.

full.jpg

I've never had much experience with shooting sticks, and I've noticed that......... 2) there was not a thread--that I could find--on AH about them. .............

"shooting sticks" into the search function will get you plenty of posts threads and pictures on the subject. 9 pages of results.
https://www.africahunting.com/search/3943570/?q=shooting+sticks&o=relevance

"shooting sticks" thread title only search gets two pages worth
https://www.africahunting.com/search/3943568/?q=shooting+sticks&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

Have fun reading.

I have primos shockey tripod that I use to practice on back in the US. In Africa, I used whatever my PHs had.

One PH had a tripod setup similar to the primos. The other just had two somewhat flexible metal rods wrapped in black electric tape and held together with some string.

Both worked great. The bipod version seemed faster to get up on, but the flex took some getting used to (first shot on my impala hit him in the spine instead of shoulder. After that first shot, I got the hang of them pretty quick)

You would need ant mound from Mozambique for your statue...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

*blush*

I must have botched the search... Still relatively new on the site! But thank so much for the patience and the kind advice!

No problem. You are in a very large crowd with the search function.
Enjoy reading.
I still like my sticks the best. :D

I have experience in the Namibia part you mention, just south of Etosha. Rather varied, maybe 100 yards give or take in the mopane or farther in the flats. Either way, don't split hairs. Everyone has slightly different sticks, some commercial, some home-made. Get an average set of sticks and start using them. Mine are a pair of straight alder branches tied together with a bike tire tube, though I hear tomato stakes work well. Now get to the range and shoot off of them. Kneeling is my preference, but do some standing and maybe make a tripod set for standing too.

Of the modern sticks bogpod is preferred in Africa. I have trigger sticks but some say sand gets in them. Get some traditional ones and see what you think.
Philip

+1 on Bogpod

I have used bog pod every trip over and have taken 2 sets over for Ph's that wanted them.
I bought the extra wide add rest for the top. Helps hold the gun better I think. I have also used some they had there and had no problem at all shooting from them. Just takes some time to find out how you like to stand and hold gun on sticks. Then practice all you can before you go.

Good trees you can use are far and few between and getting prone is just as hard.

I have primos shockey tripod

Same tripod that I use..

I've shot off it several times for practice, but have only taken it on one hunt so far (sheep in TX)..

The shot I took on my ram wasnt difficult (maybe 95 yards with a 6 -8% incline.. and he gave me a perfect broadside).. Im sure I could have made it without the sticks..

but the sticks were a nice, stable rest and added confidence when I pulled the trigger.. I plan on continuing to use them on NA hunts... great tool..

PH will have sticks. Just get a set of Cabelas tripod and practice at your local range. Now need to spend hundreds of dollars on an item you will not use very much outside of Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross