africansportingcreations.com
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
DSC, SCI
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
ABOUT OUR SHOOTING STICKS
Many years ago we only offered one product; African Shooting Sticks. We set out to make the best ones available and the rest of the business developed from that first, initial product. As a result of the success of our original offering, we have expanded our shooting stick line to include two grades of African Shooting Sticks (Premium and Entry Level), the same two grades in bipods, several made from carbon fiber, and the most beautiful monopod on the market, our Seasoned Hunter Staff. Every model is designed to fit into an airline approved gun case so you can practice with the same set you take with you during your travels.

Our shooting sticks are made one at a time in the USA and are the lightest, quietest, most rigid sticks available and the only ones that have an unconditional lifetime warranty. Most other sticks are heavier, louder and flimsy by comparison and come with a one year limited warranty.

The heart of our "Premium" Shooting Stick offering is our custom designed and patent pending connector which is milled from a solid block of aircraft aluminum that is virtually indestructible. This is the same mechanism that helped us win the highly coveted "Gray's Best" award and we use it on all our Premium Grade and Entry Level offerings. Our "Premium" Shooting Sticks are really in a class of their own from both a functional and aesthetic perspective, especially when you select our top of the line Platinum version with exotic wood shafts and exotic hide tops. Our "Premium" Shooting Sticks offer:

• The only carbon fiber shooting stick on the market for unmatched rigidity in under a pound.
  • A positive locking connector that will not unintentionally come loose in the field that is the strongest one to be found anywhere. On every other Shooting Stick the connector is one of the weaker parts and on ours it is the strongest part.
  • Unmatched functionality, noise suppression and rigidity (due to the connector).
  • Shafts hand-turned from a half dozen of the worlds' most stunning exotic woods (Platinum), Brazilian Cherry (Gold) or hickory (Silver).
  • In terms of tops to pad your fore end, you have the choice of leather and either Zebra or Cape buffalo tops with the Platinum version. Gold and Silver versions come with one set of leather tops.
  • Platinum and Gold versions are offered in multiple lengths so everyone can get a pair that fits them just right.
  • Platinum versions offer the option of engraving your name (or a lucky recipient's) on the connector. To make sure the engraving (which goes down to the aluminum) really pops we anodize the connectors in matte black.
Added in 2015, our Turnbull Color Case Hardened Shooting Stick leverages all of our experience and enables us to elevate the functionality inherent in all of our shooting sticks to a work of art. And, in 2016 we create the Brush Stick that is suitable for the thick ground cover of Africa which can be used from a standing or kneeling/seated position.

We also have an "Entry level" offering that is the best value of any shooting stick on the market. It is available in two domestic wood species; Hickory and Red Oak. It has the same attention to detail we incorporate into all of our products, but the construction is simplified.

Our last offering, the Seasoned Hunter Staff (monopod) is a thing of beauty and one of the nicest products we make. It is designed to help those with bad knees or a bunch of seasons behind them navigate the toughest terrain with additional support and offers too many custom touches to list. More customers call us after they get theirs to comment on how nicely they are made than almost any other product we offer.

For double rifle shooters who want to practice off our shooting sticks, be sure to see our new Double Rifle Tripod Rest.This durable piece is designed to allow the wide fore end of a double rifle to sit comfortably on this filled leather shooting aid. Our customers have used our Shooting Sticks to take all manner of game in dozens of different countries. Whether they were going after moose in the wet swamps of Canada or Gemsbok in the featureless Kalahari, they have performed flawlessly. If you watch "Under Wild Skies" you have seen Tony Makris use them in Africa. If it is SCI's "Expedition Safari" with Mike Rogers, they traveled with him since 2007 to dozens of far flung hunting grounds. As seen in our ads, they have become a regular part of Craig and Donna Boddingtons' gear.

No product like them has received such critical acclaim from the Gun Press. Be sure to go to the Product Reviews to read what some of the best known writers in the industry had to say about them and many of our other products. Jim Carmichel, the Shooting Editor of Outdoor Life and a veteran of over 40 African Safaris had this to say about our "Premium" offerring, "They are the best I have ever seen or used."

In the hunting estates of Europe, Stalking Staffs were meticulously crafted by hand and passed down from one generation to another in very much the same way a favorite rifle still is today…..as a way to carry on the hunting tradition and provide a link to those who experienced the same thrill of the hunt previously. Our pieces carry on that same tradition. Every one is made by hand and built to last several lifetimes. Get yours today and start building memories for tomorrow.

"I am a firm believer in "African style shooting sticks" and have been using sticks from African Sporting Creations for several seasons. This year African Sporting Creations; screw-in tripod has become a permanent part of my gear. I took them to Pakistan in January where I used them "short" to take a Sind Ibex and "long" to take a Himalayan Ibex at long range in deep snow. Right now I am in Argentina--and you can bet my sticks are here with me!"
boddington.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They may be good, but I'd rather shoot offhand at a target 500 yards away than use something with Craig Boddington's name on it.

WOW? Care to explain that one?

As I posted elsewhere on the site, a friend of mine refers to the likes of Boddington, Sundra, and several other buffoons that pump themselves up then write articles whose primary purpose is to sell products of their advertisers, under the guise of product test/review, as P cubed- i.e. Prostitutes of the Printed Page. I avoid anything written by them since I want to have an open mind when I use something and if I read the "review" first, it will prejudice my opinion of it unfairly.

Reactions: ack
I understand the sales part of what youre saying; but having met the man on multiple occasions I can say hes a real gentleman. He encouraged me to continue my writing and offered tips when we met at a trade show. Something like a year later when we met by chance he remembered and asked about my book. He also asked about my hunt in South Africa that we had discussed at the trade show. My point is he didnt have to speak to me or remember me at all; but did, and was charming in the process. Does he hawk gear hes paid to market, well yeah; but Ive never felt like he lied about any of the gear.

To each his own I suppose, youre certainly within your rights to not like him. Heck I like Mark Sullivan too.

I have a pair of the platinum sticks and they are nice. However, Carbon fiber sticks make more sense for field use. I have used my wood one twice and tired of them getting scratch up. Moving to a carbon fiber pair.

I am with you, I would not buy one with anyone name on them edition.

As I posted elsewhere on the site, a friend of mine refers to the likes of Boddington, Sundra, and several other buffoons that pump themselves up then write articles whose primary purpose is to sell products of their advertisers, under the guise of product test/review, as P cubed- i.e. Prostitutes of the Printed Page. I avoid anything written by them since I want to have an open mind when I use something and if I read the "review" first, it will prejudice my opinion of it unfairly.
im curious,did you ever have an open mind about boddington,or you and he had a falling out sometime.must be some reason you dislike him.

Yes, I did have an open mind about Boddington, and I actually still do. I've neve met him, only know him by reading what he writes. The salient feature is that when "being patriotic" was cool his title was Col... USMCR, as if going to reserve meetings made him a war hero; then when public opinion turned against the military he suddenly became Mr... Just seems to me, that this taken with some of his glowing reviews of several POS's, results in a fairly low opinion of him and his writing, but if I were to see other evidence to the contrary, I'm willing to review my conclusions.

Reactions: ack
as if going to reserve meetings made him a war hero; .

You may want to do a little fact checking on COL Boddington if you believe the extent of his service is limited to weekend drills..

He deployed in 1991 during the Persian Gulf War.. And deployed again after he was activated in 2002 in support of OEF...

Despite what you may think about him as a hunter, sportsman, and writer, he served his country honorably in two wars, was extremely successful as a Marine Officer, and is generally well respected by his fellow Marines...

He also still proudly refers to himself as a COL(r) (as he should.. he earned it..).. And speaks to his military service on his own website and other places..

Last edited:
The video doesn't show much about the shooting sticks.

Not really interested about the politics, but out of all the writers, I would rate Craig as one of the top in the field. I have met him in USA, SA and Mozambique and each time he has been polite to me and we have had a decent chat.

Last edited:
Yes, I did have an open mind about Boddington, and I actually still do. I've neve met him, only know him by reading what he writes. The salient feature is that when "being patriotic" was cool his title was Col... USMCR, as if going to reserve meetings made him a war hero; then when public opinion turned against the military he suddenly became Mr... Just seems to me, that this taken with some of his glowing reviews of several POS's, results in a fairly low opinion of him and his writing, but if I were to see other evidence to the contrary, I'm willing to review my conclusions.
And exactly how many combat tours do you have Ray? Just to clear the air on his service - and deployments in theater and use of military titles is something about which I have a little experience - Colonel Boddington deployed to the Middle East for extended periods at least twice - during the First Gulf War and during OIF. He only used his title occasionally in print (which was his right) and he quit using it entirely when he retired. I never had the impression that he used it to boost article or book sales. We can disagree with his writings, his personality, whatever. I have met him on a couple of occasions, and we will never be BFF's. But I would be the last to question his patriotism or his service to his country.

Then I sincerely respect you for your sacrifice, and with heart felt gratitude, thank you for your service. My only point is, he probably deserves that benefit of the doubt as well.

I'll give him that- as noted, I am open minded toward him- also as noted, written word is said to be on 7% of 100% of communication- in his 7% he has come across to me as self-focused. It's entirely possible that if I were to have the benefit of the other 93% I'd have a different opinion of him- so I withdraw my verdict and consider the jury to still be out. :<)

That is absolutely fair Ray. I am not defending his opinions, sponsorships or personality. Your call on that!

Yes, I did have an open mind about Boddington, and I actually still do. I've neve met him, only know him by reading what he writes. The salient feature is that when "being patriotic" was cool his title was Col... USMCR, as if going to reserve meetings made him a war hero; then when public opinion turned against the military he suddenly became Mr....

If you don't like Boddington's writing, reviews or product endorsements that's fine. To each his own in that regard. But for you to question his patriotism and military rank as something based upon "public opinion" and a "cool" factor, or simply through reserve meeting attendance is truly beyond the pale.

You obviously know nothing about Boddington's military background. Maybe you should have gathering a few facts about his military service before making demeaning comments about his rank and patriotism. You might have found out something about his Persian Gulf service and command duties during Operation Enduring Freedom. In other words, his command of the Combined Joint Task Force Consequence Management, Marine Forces, at Camp Doha, Kuwait would surely be considered something more than just "going to reserve meetings" as you said.

In brief; you may also have found out something about Boddington's frocking to Brigadier General by his then superior, Lt. Gen. Earl Hailston. And how Gen. Hailston's recommendation of Boddington for promotion and the frocking was later determined to be improper without Senate confirmation. In the end I feel Boddington was dealt with unfairly. As a subordinate he became the brunt of the situation. I won't expound further but that situation just might have more than a little to do with why he dropped the military title. However, I can assure you that it had nothing at all to do with the "cool" factor as you flippantly suggest.

Like Craig or not his patriotism and duty to country cannot be questioned. I feel your comments about his military rank and patriotism were truly uncalled for.

Dear Big 5, you may want to re-read the above series of posts. I did not question Mr Boddington's patriotism. In retrospect, what I did was to infer motive, which is dangerous, and I can see that I was in error in doing so regarding the use then non use of his rank.

Serious conversation here. IMO "cool" may be wearing the latest Tommy Bahama shirt to the beach fish house on the weekend, but does not relate to patriotism and military service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg