Rangefinder Recommendations

Coues106

AH member
Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a rangefinder so I can quit borrowing one from my hunting buddy. I want to start this petition for advice by saying the I'm military, so preference will be given to those companies that offer military discount/"pro deals" such as leupold and vortex and any others I'm not aware of. I hunt out West for just about everything, and prefer using my rifle. I don't anticipate shooting much over 700 yards so I'll set that general range as my "must" yardage for reliable reading. What offerings are there that will get me out to those ranges consistently, even in lower light conditions? I'll say that I'm not overly wealthy but if there's an option that is far and away superior for maybe $100-$200 more than something on the upper limit of what I'd feel comfortable with, I'd hear it out. Looking at the Leupold 1400 offering but I know that these $200-tier ones are unreliable at times and I've had too many frustrations with rangefinders on hunts not to open up my budget more. Thanks for the help in advance!

If you can stretch your budget the Vortex ranger 1800 is a great unit, or any vortex unit for that matter are great. Also vortex gives 40% off msrp for military.

Last edited:
Sig Sauer. The fastest range acquisition of any I have tried. And they have a vast range of price points. I love mine; it has been utterly durable and reliable, in really crappy hunting conditions. I can't imagine using anything else.

I’ve been using the Bushnell Nitros. I really like that it has the applied ballistics, and can pair with my Kestrel. They’ve been spot on for ranging well past your 700yd limit, and I’ve found them to be brighter than both brands you’ve mentioned when used side by side.

Before I had my Swaros I used vortex. Great product and very reliable!

I currently have a dedicated rangefinder, it's a Leupold RX-800i with TBR. It's compact, accurate and I believe it has 4x zoom. I've used it a ton for bow hunting and most recently on a goose hunt where I couldn't afford to carry a set of RF binos because of the added weight and bulk. If I were buying one today, I'd probably go with another offering from Leupold.

However...there's always something more. Because you mentioned hunting out in the Western US, I'd highly recommend picking up a set of top quality RF binos from Leica, Swaro or Zeiss. The clarity of the glass is unmatched and with the added feature of RF capabilities it keeps you from having to switch between the two or carry additional gear.

I understand that these brands are out of the price range for some, but what I've found is that if you buy a high quality product you will be using that piece of kit for a very long time. It's an investment. It doesn't feel like it at the time, but it is. Buy once, cry once. To help take the sting out of price, you can look at the used market. Very often there are deals to be found in the classifieds section on RF binos.

While you may not use a range finder to shoot past 700 yards, it is nice to be able to range at extended distances so you can anticipate how long it will take to get there, or if it is possible. When you see elk on a hillside at sunset, knowing if they are 1000 or 1800 yards is pretty important for determining if you have time to get there.
+1 for vortex.
+1 for @BeeMaa regarding just getting rangefinding binoculars. More cost, but you will use them a lot and wonder why you didn’t get a pair before.

@Tra3 is spot on (as are other posts) regarding my thoughts. Ranging the animal I plan to shoot is what my rangefinder binos (Sig Kilo 3000 BDX) spend the least amount of time doing. Being able to spot (good glass, I know they aren’t Leica or Swaro but they are still very good) and to range landmarks for reference is something I am constantly doing. Mine easily range brush and hillsides at over 2,500 yards, and I’ve never thought it ranges too far. I am slowly getting a decent timeframe for a line of sight range and how quickly I can stalk in at that distance.

Everyone hunts differently, so if what I’m saying doesn’t line up with your style, then disregard. I just wanted to share in case it’s helpful.

I don’t know what your budget is (though you mentioned a $200 option so maybe that is your budget), but it may be worth considering a few more months of saving to get a rangefinder you will keep for many many years without need or desire to upgrade. Good luck.

Nikon's are the best....if insist on Bushnell save yourself 50% and buy the equivalent hunting version, a "for golf" sticker isn't worth the extra cost.

Vortex has a lifetime warranty. Leupold does not. I switched for that reason. Vortex Rangers are very good

I use a Leupold RX-2800. I’m not expert in this area, but this unit seems to work quite well.

I’ve got a sig and a Nikon… the sig seems much faster… but they appear to be equally accurate and reliable… used side by side they always measure within 1-2 yards of each other…

Both are lower level offerings.. nothing fancy… I’m pretty sure I paid less than $250 for each of them..

Thanks for all of the good information. I'll have to look at Vortex's offerings. I've had a sig in the past, the kilo 1250, and in spite of sig replacing it multiple times I could never get a reading past 450 yards with it on any surface so I've ruled them out.

If you’re open to getting a used rangefinder, you might consider a Leica.

I would suggest a rangefinder that does ballistic calculations, such as the sig, or gunwerks BR2. You input your ballistic profile beforehand and it will give you a dial up in MOA or MIL.
I realize they push the budget a bit, but make a world of difference when you are shooting that 700 yard shot at 10,000 feet, in 30 degree temp and at a 40 degree downhill angle in a 15 mph wind. A typical rangefinder only helps with distance. The BR2 helps calculate all of that.
I hunted Wyoming this year and on a windy day decided to test the rangefinder's capabilities. Scored a first shot hit on a 8" target at 800 yds, 15 mph crosswind.
Just my 2 cents worth.

I am happy with my Leupold RX1600i rangefinder - so far. It has a full range of ballistic calculations built in.

Side note - I think that the evolution of range finding technology is outpacing the rate of handheld optical technology. This idea keeps me from buying binos that incorporate RF technology.

A little secret a bunch of these are all made in the same factories.Build a Sig with the 9:00 am shift after lunch the Leupold. Only the European brands own their own production.

Get a Sig ! You won't regret !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!