Rangefinder Recommendations

I'm looking at picking up a rangefinder so I can quit borrowing one from my hunting buddy. I want to start this petition for advice by saying the I'm military, so preference will be given to those companies that offer military discount/"pro deals" such as leupold and vortex and any others I'm not aware of. I hunt out West for just about everything, and prefer using my rifle. I don't anticipate shooting much over 700 yards so I'll set that general range as my "must" yardage for reliable reading. What offerings are there that will get me out to those ranges consistently, even in lower light conditions? I'll say that I'm not overly wealthy but if there's an option that is far and away superior for maybe $100-$200 more than something on the upper limit of what I'd feel comfortable with, I'd hear it out. Looking at the Leupold 1400 offering but I know that these $200-tier ones are unreliable at times and I've had too many frustrations with rangefinders on hunts not to open up my budget more. Thanks for the help in advance!
Have both, work fine. Vortex cost a little less. Also digs are good.

Buy once, cry once. Check with EuroOptics, they carry many brands and offer the military discounts.

I'm on my second set of Leica's. I started off many years ago with the RF900 and upgraded last year to the CRF 2400-R. Fantastic product! A friend uses Leupold and his first one had to be replaced after it started giving trouble a few years down the line. He sent the unit back only to be told that it was out of warranty. They did offer him a very good deal on a new unit, though, and he took them up on the offer.

I've previously owned a Nikon, and it worked fine. I ended up selling that one to buy the first Leica. I've also used Vortex and they get the thumbs-up from me.

Thanks for all the help! I had no idea Leica's offerings were in the $4-500 range so I will for sure be picking one up. I have no idea why I never checked; just assumed I guess.

If not to late I have 2 Swarovski Rangefinders for sale ..1 is mint no box $475 and the other is As New in Box $575 shpd
These have amazing glass and will range way out there!
Screenshot_20230106-122918_eBay.jpg

The best rangefinders made are by Leica, but you are going to pay for it. They use the fastest processors and have the most accurate laser. Almost every other ranger finder made all come out of a few factories in China, a lot of the same stuff in a different package.

Thanks for all the help! I had no idea Leica's offerings were in the $4-500 range so I will for sure be picking one up. I have no idea why I never checked; just assumed I guess.
Yes the 2800 is a great RF for the price. It's a no brainer

The only one I ever had trouble with was leica, and the worst customer service I have delt with.

I’ve been using the Bushnell Nitros. I really like that it has the applied ballistics, and can pair with my Kestrel. They’ve been spot on for ranging well past your 700yd limit, and I’ve found them to be brighter than both brands you’ve mentioned when used side by side.

I also have the Bushnell Nitro 1800, on a good day I can range to ~1000m.

I've compared it to friend's Leica and Swaro RF Binos and accuracy has always been +/- 1m.

In my expereince represents exceptional value.

Purchased a Bushnell prime 1300 last year for $140. Nice solid rangefinder with clear display and angle compensation. Possible they are even cheaper now.

I also have the Bushnell Nitro 1800, on a good day I can range to ~1000m.

I've compared it to friend's Leica and Swaro RF Binos and accuracy has always been +/- 1m.

In my expereince represents exceptional value.
Correction ....

mine is a Prime (not a Nitro)

I'm on my 5th laser rangefinder now since the original "Lightspeed". ( but started with triangulators 45 years ago.)...accuracy has never been an issue, but on some of them, the optics are so poor that it is difficult to clearly see the animal you are trying to range......that was the problem with my cheaper ones....(I solved that by losing them anyway).....currently use a Leica, and it will easily range ducks and geese that are flying past me. That has made me a better range estimator with the shotgun, an added bonus.....Best of luck with your quest........FWB

I'm looking at picking up a rangefinder so I can quit borrowing one from my hunting buddy. I want to start this petition for advice by saying the I'm military, so preference will be given to those companies that offer military discount/"pro deals" such as leupold and vortex and any others I'm not aware of. I hunt out West for just about everything, and prefer using my rifle. I don't anticipate shooting much over 700 yards so I'll set that general range as my "must" yardage for reliable reading. What offerings are there that will get me out to those ranges consistently, even in lower light conditions? I'll say that I'm not overly wealthy but if there's an option that is far and away superior for maybe $100-$200 more than something on the upper limit of what I'd feel comfortable with, I'd hear it out. Looking at the Leupold 1400 offering but I know that these $200-tier ones are unreliable at times and I've had too many frustrations with rangefinders on hunts not to open up my budget more. Thanks for the help in advance!
bit the bullet and get range finding binocs, you wont regret it and you will never look back

From my perspective a stand alone rangefinder is obsolete. I only use one when I am darting animals at my ranch. Most bino manufacturers have rangefinding binos available now. The best are Swarovski and Leica. I was enamoured wih the new compact 10x32 Leicas at DSC. I held off the urge to splurge!
I know it is an investment but somethig to think about.

The only one I ever had trouble with was leica, and the worst customer service I have delt with.
My experience exactly. I tried 3 different sets of 3200.com's last year, and to make a long story short, none of them worked correctly or met Leica's specs. Wound up not keeping any of them. Leica's "improved" customer service was well below what was promised. Acquired a set of Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB's for whitetail and mule deer hunting season. I knew the glass was average, but in actual use it performed above average ( I have lots of glass), and the RF is outstanding, much better than any of the Leica's I've had. The ballistic readout is very hand as well if you want/need it. Their customer service is 2nd to none, and they are the only "manufacturer" to offer lifetime warranty on electronics.

From my perspective a stand alone rangefinder is obsolete. I only use one when I am darting animals at my ranch. Most bino manufacturers have rangefinding binos available now. The best are Swarovski and Leica. I was enamoured wih the new compact 10x32 Leicas at DSC. I held off the urge to splurge!
I know it is an investment but somethig to think about.
Personally, I disagree with the statement that a stand alone RF is obsolete. There are many hunting scenarios where someone doen't carry binos but utilize a RF, especially archery hunters. In archery hunting especially there are many times, I prefer the one handed Ranging feature of a standalone RF while maintaining positive control of my bow in the other. I can then drop the RF (on a tether) to quickly draw my bow back. With a RF Bino, it's a lot heavier for for one handed application and quickly dropping the RF/Bino is heavy.

Additionally the warranty on Rangefinding Binoculars is 2 fold 1) electronics of rangefinder 2) actual bino/glass. All of the manufacturer's (including swaro) do not use the same glass in the RF Binos as the class they're in. Example Swaro EL Range is actually SLC Glass with a built in RF but is in the EL Family. Personally I prefer the absolute best glass possible so when given the choice I'll keep mine separate with a redundant RF method of a FFP Scope that I can range utilizing the reticle.

Personally, I disagree with the statement that a stand alone RF is obsolete. There are many hunting scenarios where someone doen't carry binos but utilize a RF, especially archery hunters. In archery hunting especially there are many times, I prefer the one handed Ranging feature of a standalone RF while maintaining positive control of my bow in the other. I can then drop the RF (on a tether) to quickly draw my bow back. With a RF Bino, it's a lot heavier for for one handed application and quickly dropping the RF/Bino is heavy.

Additionally the warranty on Rangefinding Binoculars is 2 fold 1) electronics of rangefinder 2) actual bino/glass. All of the manufacturer's (including swaro) do not use the same glass in the RF Binos as the class they're in. Example Swaro EL Range is actually SLC Glass with a built in RF but is in the EL Family. Personally I prefer the absolute best glass possible so when given the choice I'll keep mine separate with a redundant RF method of a FFP Scope that I can range utilizing the reticle.
I certainly agree on the archery. That is a different scenario all together. The latest bino models are going to have the ability to range at archery distances. I also agree on the glass however the glass in the Swaro/Leica/Zeiss rangefinding binos is going to be better than any other brand of binos top models.
Yes I drool at the Swaro Nl Pure!
What binos are you using for your hunts?

I have the range finding and ballistics integrated Leica Geovid 10x32 and couldn't be happier. Also integrates with many mapping programs like base camp to set remote waypoints for tracking game. Small enough that one handed use isn't an issue. I'm never going back. Soon all this will be in every scope/spotting scope too but for the next few years, Geovid and the like are hard to beat.

If you're running Leica's, especially with any electronics involved, you need to know a guy with Leica by name of Hamilton Boykin. He will get stuff sorted out when nobody else at Leica can. Trust me on this....PM if you want his info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rugermagnum

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,