Rabbit problems

@Von Gruff
Holy snappin duck shit bat man they have got a problem big time.
Shooters ain't going to fix that problem going to need some good ole 1080
The am out of rabbits I've seen whilst hunting in the last 5 years could be counted on both hands. They are sadly lacking in OZ.
Bob

We had a similar issue where I grew up. It was a different time/place so it got handled with a bit less decorum...

I wondered if an Idahoan wouldn't bring up the bunny bash. I lived in Pocatello well after this. Hunted a bit around Mud Lake. In the years I was there, there were no jackrabbit blooms if you will and everyone said that was the last one there ever was. Whereas in the past it was like an event every 7 years or so. Gee I wonder why there weren't anymore and just so happened the sage grouse plummeted thereafter? I have my ideas, but no proof. Safe to say, what would appear to have been a cruel way to manage the population was in fact safer for other wildlife.

@Von Gruff
Holy snappin duck shit bat man they have got a problem big time.
Shooters ain't going to fix that problem going to need some good ole 1080
The am out of rabbits I've seen whilst hunting in the last 5 years could be counted on both hands. They are sadly lacking in OZ.
Bob
Bob that's what the Mallee used to look like before the Myxo virus. If you want to see rabbits in Oz, stay at the caravan park just out of Ballarat. When bun numbers explode, that's when the colours come out, ginger and black (actually it's blue). I've seen numbers like in the video in North Canterbury NZ. We ordered a 1080 plane drop and killed thousands of the buggers. After 2 weeks, went back with shotguns and killed upwards of 200. They are great survivors. With the Calicivirus release it knocked them back but when the survivors bred it only took 3-4 generations and their immunity system adapted and they became immune. A sure sign of a Calicivirus survivor is stunted ears, just stubs. These were prime targets to stop them passing on immunity genes. NZ rabbits don't clump together like Aussie buns do (large warrens) so are harder to control with a virus. Speaking of which, I had the first covid-19 virus vacc today with followup in 12 weeks time, must keep an eye on my ears. Didn't want it but I need to travel and you can bet the farm sooner or later the bloody paperwork will be required - barstewards. cheers.

Bob that's what the Mallee used to look like before the Myxo virus. If you want to see rabbits in Oz, stay at the caravan park just out of Ballarat. When bun numbers explode, that's when the colours come out, ginger and black (actually it's blue). I've seen numbers like in the video in North Canterbury NZ. We ordered a 1080 plane drop and killed thousands of the buggers. After 2 weeks, went back with shotguns and killed upwards of 200. They are great survivors. With the Calicivirus release it knocked them back but when the survivors bred it only took 3-4 generations and their immunity system adapted and they became immune. A sure sign of a Calicivirus survivor is stunted ears, just stubs. These were prime targets to stop them passing on immunity genes. NZ rabbits don't clump together like Aussie buns do (large warrens) so are harder to control with a virus. Speaking of which, I had the first covid-19 virus vacc today with followup in 12 weeks time, must keep an eye on my ears. Didn't want it but I need to travel and you can bet the farm sooner or later the bloody paperwork will be required - barstewards. cheers.
p.s. I don't eat rabbits, they are deficient in Vitamin C and deplete the consumers supply to digest the meat. Young hares on the other hand are better eating and more tasty. note how the meat is darker. Another little known fact about the European hares of downunder is they are all hemophiliacs, wound them and they bleed to death.

Last edited:
p.s. I don't eat rabbits, they are deficient in Vitamin C and deplete the consumers supply to digest the meat. Young hares on the other hand are better eating and more tasty. note how the meat is darker. Another little known fact about the European hares of downunder is they are all hemophiliacs, wound them and they bleed to death.
Yes the hare is very good eating and I get them when I can but I can certainly aggree on the bleeding problem with them as a 20 cal bullet in the forequarter will certainly bleed them out rather smartly and with blood loss , they do die I have found.

@Cervus elaphas
I remember my home town area of the Riverina in the mid70s to the e early 80s it was not uncommon to go out for a night of spot lighting after the bunnies with a 500 brick of 22 lr and come home with no ammo.
I'm not old enough to remember the big plague of the 30s but I've seen the newsreels of it before mix was introduced.
Bob

@Cervus elaphas
I remember my home town area of the Riverina in the mid70s to the e early 80s it was not uncommon to go out for a night of spot lighting after the bunnies with a 500 brick of 22 lr and come home with no ammo.
I'm not old enough to remember the big plague of the 30s but I've seen the newsreels of it before mix was introduced.
Bob
Rabbit boards used Fiochi but most shooting was done with 12g ammo especially made for culling work - they had very short brass. Kids used to come into the depot with a few tails from shooting or trapping and they got 2 rounds of 12g per tail. I carried an Anschutz .22mag for night work on hares for dog tucker. Cheers.

I don’t think my hounds could stand that much scent, I’d love the job of thinning them out though. Rabbits are my second favourite game animal.
Rabbit is my favorite game animal. I'll take rabbit over any other meat.

See thread on Punt guns. :Happy:

A few of those strapped to a few side-by-sides and golf carts would be quite a sight!
Now your talkin! Mount em on a tripod on a trailer pulled by an ATV? Maybe not, it might flip the trailer upon recoil?

The commies would dress up in bunny suits to show that they identify with the plight of the bunnies. Then a legitimate defence in court when you shoot a few of them would be mistaken identity or something along those lines.... ;)
"Transpecies" identification.

I'll take elk meat, but to each their own.

Roe deer for me, followed in no particular order by Fallow, Water Buffalo, Emu, Rabbit, Boar, Moose, Sambar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg