Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
@Von Gruff
Holy snappin duck shit bat man they have got a problem big time.
Shooters ain't going to fix that problem going to need some good ole 1080
The am out of rabbits I've seen whilst hunting in the last 5 years could be counted on both hands. They are sadly lacking in OZ.
Bob

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
We had a similar issue where I grew up. It was a different time/place so it got handled with a bit less decorum...

I wondered if an Idahoan wouldn't bring up the bunny bash. I lived in Pocatello well after this. Hunted a bit around Mud Lake. In the years I was there, there were no jackrabbit blooms if you will and everyone said that was the last one there ever was. Whereas in the past it was like an event every 7 years or so. Gee I wonder why there weren't anymore and just so happened the sage grouse plummeted thereafter? I have my ideas, but no proof. Safe to say, what would appear to have been a cruel way to manage the population was in fact safer for other wildlife.

Cervus elaphus

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand, returning 2021
@Von Gruff
Holy snappin duck shit bat man they have got a problem big time.
Shooters ain't going to fix that problem going to need some good ole 1080
The am out of rabbits I've seen whilst hunting in the last 5 years could be counted on both hands. They are sadly lacking in OZ.
Bob
Bob that's what the Mallee used to look like before the Myxo virus. If you want to see rabbits in Oz, stay at the caravan park just out of Ballarat. When bun numbers explode, that's when the colours come out, ginger and black (actually it's blue). I've seen numbers like in the video in North Canterbury NZ. We ordered a 1080 plane drop and killed thousands of the buggers. After 2 weeks, went back with shotguns and killed upwards of 200. They are great survivors. With the Calicivirus release it knocked them back but when the survivors bred it only took 3-4 generations and their immunity system adapted and they became immune. A sure sign of a Calicivirus survivor is stunted ears, just stubs. These were prime targets to stop them passing on immunity genes. NZ rabbits don't clump together like Aussie buns do (large warrens) so are harder to control with a virus. Speaking of which, I had the first covid-19 virus vacc today with followup in 12 weeks time, must keep an eye on my ears. Didn't want it but I need to travel and you can bet the farm sooner or later the bloody paperwork will be required - barstewards. cheers.

Cervus elaphus

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Bob that's what the Mallee used to look like before the Myxo virus. If you want to see rabbits in Oz, stay at the caravan park just out of Ballarat. When bun numbers explode, that's when the colours come out, ginger and black (actually it's blue). I've seen numbers like in the video in North Canterbury NZ. We ordered a 1080 plane drop and killed thousands of the buggers. After 2 weeks, went back with shotguns and killed upwards of 200. They are great survivors. With the Calicivirus release it knocked them back but when the survivors bred it only took 3-4 generations and their immunity system adapted and they became immune. A sure sign of a Calicivirus survivor is stunted ears, just stubs. These were prime targets to stop them passing on immunity genes. NZ rabbits don't clump together like Aussie buns do (large warrens) so are harder to control with a virus. Speaking of which, I had the first covid-19 virus vacc today with followup in 12 weeks time, must keep an eye on my ears. Didn't want it but I need to travel and you can bet the farm sooner or later the bloody paperwork will be required - barstewards. cheers.
p.s. I don't eat rabbits, they are deficient in Vitamin C and deplete the consumers supply to digest the meat. Young hares on the other hand are better eating and more tasty. note how the meat is darker. Another little known fact about the European hares of downunder is they are all hemophiliacs, wound them and they bleed to death.

Last edited:

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
p.s. I don't eat rabbits, they are deficient in Vitamin C and deplete the consumers supply to digest the meat. Young hares on the other hand are better eating and more tasty. note how the meat is darker. Another little known fact about the European hares of downunder is they are all hemophiliacs, wound them and they bleed to death.
Yes the hare is very good eating and I get them when I can but I can certainly aggree on the bleeding problem with them as a 20 cal bullet in the forequarter will certainly bleed them out rather smartly and with blood loss , they do die I have found.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
@Cervus elaphas
I remember my home town area of the Riverina in the mid70s to the e early 80s it was not uncommon to go out for a night of spot lighting after the bunnies with a 500 brick of 22 lr and come home with no ammo.
I'm not old enough to remember the big plague of the 30s but I've seen the newsreels of it before mix was introduced.
Bob

Cervus elaphus

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
@Cervus elaphas
I remember my home town area of the Riverina in the mid70s to the e early 80s it was not uncommon to go out for a night of spot lighting after the bunnies with a 500 brick of 22 lr and come home with no ammo.
I'm not old enough to remember the big plague of the 30s but I've seen the newsreels of it before mix was introduced.
Bob
Rabbit boards used Fiochi but most shooting was done with 12g ammo especially made for culling work - they had very short brass. Kids used to come into the depot with a few tails from shooting or trapping and they got 2 rounds of 12g per tail. I carried an Anschutz .22mag for night work on hares for dog tucker. Cheers.

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
I don’t think my hounds could stand that much scent, I’d love the job of thinning them out though. Rabbits are my second favourite game animal.
Rabbit is my favorite game animal. I'll take rabbit over any other meat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathaleenB

Latest profile posts

Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
I have been looking at an option for a 505, that doesn't break the bank (that concern my have to yield), and is more in the 50-110, or 50 Alaskan range. However not easy to find a case, other than the Weatherby, of course. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
Hello, do you have any information on your 505 SRE cartridge. Up here in Canada, there is talk about how the various 500s may exceed the 10 000 Joule limit recently imposed. Not that they do on paper, but you never know what they may infer or claim.
Eastern Cape Hunting Report Coming soon...

IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2152.JPG
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2583.JPG
Jaynecobb wrote on cal pappas's profile.
I hate to bother you....I own 2 of your books including British bore rifle. I was hoping you might have more 10 bore loads. For the heavier and later rifles. Any help would be appreciated.
Gert Odendaal wrote on Av8or's profile.
Good day , Do you still have .375 H&H Magnum brass available to sell?