Progressive press

I too have a 550 and 650 mounted on a semi portable stand. My presses mount to a 2x6 board atop a 6"x6" which all attaches to an old hearty wooden stool. My seat is separate and has a memory foam pad.

The powder variations I have never noticed all that much. When I first loaded 300 BLK I had some issues with light charges and spilling, but they quickly went away. Do you have any issues with the cases taking a moment to fill? I think I may have been going too fast and causing myself heartache. I also had a big issue with 10mm and accurate #9 leaking around and jamming up the powder bar, but an oversized one from the factory solved that without further headache.
At Dillon one day a salesman was showing presses to a customer and he said when loading with stick powder use a hesitation to allow time for the powder to drop. I imagine that would be a substantial hesitation if using the magnum charge bar with slow burning stick powder. I use RL-25 which is more like rocks but I've never tried to drop it through the Dillon measure.
I use RL-15, H322 and AA 2015 powders for my 223 loads which are smaller sticks, or ball, then most of the IMR powders. They seem to drop okay but I do not go fast with my press. I've also used IMR 4064 that has sticks between RL15 and 4350 or 4831.
I found if I cycle the press without dropping a charge the next charge will be some heavy. Mine seems to require consistent cycling. I usually pull the charged case out before seating the bullet weigh check then put it back and continue cycling.
If there are some granules slipping by I will find some on my left leg under that part of the press. It never has been more then just enough to notice a few there. (I don't wave a flame over my leg to see if any flare up) :)
P.S. make sure the hole in the powder funnel(s) are clean with no burrs.

For rifle cartridges I use a Forster Co-Ax single stage. For IPSC/USPSA rounds I use a fully automated progressive press that can crank out 2K+ rounds an hour at a leisurely pace.

I have tried a Dillon 550 using it as more or less as a combination of multiple single stage presses where I would not need to readjust the dies at each stage. It worked, but was still a pain. With the Forster I don't have to worry about adjusting the dies more than once so it works for me.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Dillon 650 presses set up for large primer and small primer. I use these primarily for NRA and CMP Precision (Bullseye) Pistol practice and competition.

For non-competition rifle loading I use a Redding turret press. The 7-station turret makes loading easy!
Also for rifle, I use an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 to measure accurate powder charges.

Not to be forgotten, I use my 47-year old RCBS Rockchucker press with an RCBS collet bullet puller. It comes in very handy!

you could buy a lot of powder and bullets for the price of a Dillon

you could buy a lot of powder and bullets for the price of a Dillon
It is common for shooters and reloaders to spend money on convenience or wants rather then essentials. :)
The "shortage" has probably directed funds more to essentials but it always comes around to buying for 'some day' when X will be back to normal.
I had no use for a progressive loader but obtained some equipment at a garage sale and a Dillon 550 was part of it. When I started loading for 223 I realized the 550 was going to be easier to load them with over my Lyman turret press. I would not have purchased a progressive just for 223. As it also worked out to load 45 ACP and 44 Mag so I wouldn't sell it now that I use it.
(The 550 won't handle my 500 NE shells) :)
If asked what to buy to start reloading I always dig for what they intend to reload with it and how much ammo they shoot. Some don't care about the cost so will buy for convenience.
At the Dillon store a salesman was asked about powder and primers etc if he bought the press. He was replied if you can't get supplies then it is a boat anchor. (Cheeky salesman)

There are a lot of factors going into a progressive press purchase. I think Dillon is the way to go for progressives just because their customer service is made up of experienced reloaders that know the product.
Other factors:
•What will you be reloading?
A. If I am reloading cases that will be nearly full I might opt to go with a manual advance between the stations as opposed to the auto indexing of the 650/750.
B. Case length is also a consideration here. The press needs to have a stroke long enough to handle your shell.
C. Effort and time involved in caliber change. How long it takes to change over calibers is a valid consideration especially if you are doing small batches. Many folks have dedicated large primer and small primer machines for this reason to save a step in conversions.
D. Cost of caliber conversions
A LOT OF PEOPLE SCREW UP HERE. The is no reason to have the same redundant shell plate purchased multiple times. There are compatibility spreadsheets available and you're leaking money. Do the research! You need to plan the caliber conversions you will need in an intelligent manner. If you plan to have a lot of calibers, then you're probably not loading enough to get a 650/750 which will save you money and headache in the long run.
•How much will you be reloading?
If you're not running more than five hundred rounds at a time, there is no need for a 650/750. My basic rule of thumb is that if it's not semiautomatic, I don't need it to be auto indexing.
My ideal setup for two machines would be:
2x550 one setup large primer and one setup small primer. Two quick change kits for each machine so you can swap between your favorite calibers in each primer size. One of the large primer quick change kits should be a Magnum powder measure kit for the belted magnums.

At the Dillon store a salesman was asked about powder and primers etc if he bought the press. He was replied if you can't get supplies then it is a boat anchor. (Cheeky salesman)
Yep, I started the shortage with 32 pounds of Universal Clays for shotshell reloading. I am down to last 2-3 pounds on the last 8 pound container. After that will be paying close to $250 a week for shotshells.

For pistol and rifle rounds I am set though. I even helped out some friends with primers.

I too use Dillon presses. My first one was a Dillon 450 that I purchased in 1979 or 1980. I used it almost exclusively for 30-06 loads that were used used for deer hunting. Numerous 10 shot groups under an inch were fired from my Remington 742. Around 1984 I upgraded it to a 550 I also loaded several pistol rounds. In 1987 I began shooting Bullseye so 45 ACP was added to the mix. I added a Dillon 1050 in the mid 1990(s) strictly for 45(s). Sometime between 2005 and 2010 my buddy moved to the Philippines and gave me his Dillon Square Deal B and a 650. Conservatively I've reloaded several hundred thousand rounds of ammo on my Dillon(s) without any regrets. Calibers now range from 32 ACP up through 404 Jeffery. To be sure Ball powders measure more accurately. My use of extruded powders is limited to IMR 4064 and H4350. For my larger bores, I check the weight of every 5th round. For calibers loaded with Win. 748 and or 760 the loads have been so consistent that I don't bother checking them after the first ten which are checked individually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PenneyWilk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.