Post your top five biggest African animals!

Oh yeah, Andre put in a lot of miles with me on that hunt. 5 days and lord only knows how many miles walked and ran... Who guided you on your Buff?
Andre' was my Kudu PH and ran my ass into the ground! my Buff a year earlier, with a PH Dries Van Coller

Andre' was my Kudu PH and ran my ass into the ground! my Buff a year earlier, with a PH Dries Van Coller
Yeah he marched us all day every day, but to success. Never hunted with Coller in my last 3 trips with Somerby but who know maybe next time if Andre and Charles are booked.

Yeah he marched us all day every day, but to success. Never hunted with Coller in my last 3 trips with Somerby but who know maybe next time if Andre and Charles are booked.
Dries did not work for Somerby, we were a group of #12 hunters,4 of which were 1 on 1. he was subcontracted by Drom for my Buff hunt.

This is my August 2022 Namibian Eland

4C7F60B2-DE2F-488D-9782-F50703E7A8D8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only been once, and would love to top these scores eventually, but it'll be hard to beat the memory of a Kudu with a bow on my first attempt along with my son's first African trophy. Both taken in Namibia, Aug '22, with Kowas.

51"
20220803_153636.jpg

26"
20220801_151146.jpg

I've only been once, and would love to top these scores eventually, but it'll be hard to beat the memory of a Kudu with a bow on my first attempt along with my son's first African trophy. Both taken in Namibia, Aug '22, with Kowas.

51"
View attachment 532028

26"
View attachment 532029
21" on the impala...still my favorite trophy. :)

Just got back. Haven't finished my report but this is what it's looking like so far. Taken with Kuche Safaris in Limpopo.

25" Impala. 25 1/4" and 24 7/8" measured by my PH. I didn't really know that it was "big" until they told me.

Not to sure how the SCI thing works but they told me I should have it measured. I will have to research.
9d3197b5-2a52-43c5-a4f6-a9710228df49.jpg

Perfect impala, length, shape and mass. I’ve spent A LOT of days chasing an impala like that . Congratulations. Looking forward to your full report.

Perfect impala, length, shape and mass. I’ve spent A LOT of days chasing an impala like that . Congratulations. Looking forward to your full report.

Thank you sir! It almost feels wrong taking credit. I told my PH all I did was pull the trigger. Watching these guys stalk, locate, and set you up on these animals is just something everyone needs to see.

WOW! What a bunch of awesome animals!
Easily the biggest was the eland!
1684236693582.jpeg

Cape Buffalo next biggest.
1684236866753.jpeg

Croc next.
1684236767448.jpeg

Gets a bit confusing as to biggest after these. Maybe one of my blue wildebeest, zebra, kudu? My lion was pushing 500 lbs. which seemed pretty big compared to my 150 lbs. Possibly one of the gemsbok?
Trophy size hasn’t been something I have pursued, although a couple have been. I just really enjoyed the experience of pursuing wild game from the time I was 6 years old and Santa Claus brought me a Sears and Roebuck single shot .22 rifle. Cottontail was my first trophy on my grandparents 60 acre East Texas homestead.
Sadly I never made it to the famous and truly wild places. Maybe in my next life. Who knows.

My pictures are on several usb sticks as my older computer is no more. will track pictures down at some point.

5 Largest by body size
Buffalo, Hippo, giraffe, eland, roan.

5 that have the most memories
Buffalo, Leopard, hippo, val rhebuck, aardwolf

I do not measure my animals, these are my trophies, and regardless of size they will always be my pride and joy, some more than others due to difficulty of the hunt, distance and what not.

My first African animal taken was this massive Gemsbok, my PH measured because it was the biggest, he had ever guided.

AFRICA I.JPG

Kudu that my wife spotted before my PH did. LOL!!!!

AFRICA III.JPG

Zebra my wife didn't want me to hunt, and after I shot the zebra my wife went Spanish secured and ripped me a new one. :ROFLMAO: BTW, her zebra rug is now nicely displayed on our wall.

AFRICA II.JPG

Nyala in the Eastern Cape

NYALA.jpg

Last is my Bushbuck, my most difficult and challenging hunt, I tested the patience of my PH Wik that day.

BUSHBUCK.jpg

I know you said 5, but couldn't leave behind my Black Wildebeest. Sorry. :ROFLMAO:

BLACK WINDEBEEST.jpg

Para45, my wifey experience is somewhat like yours. I had to put all my trophies in my tiny man-cave. Then wifey spotted my zebra rug! Up it came and now resides on the floor in her office!

I’ve had a good run, been Blessed.
Lord Derby Eland
Mountain Nyala
Western Greater Kudu
Nile Bushbuck
Sudan Roan
2452C25B-BCB3-4272-9ABD-EFF151055458.jpeg
IMG_0842.jpeg
IMG_9330.jpeg
DSC03801.jpeg
IMG_9814.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg