Post Safari Depression

I shot off my shooting sticks this past weekend. I am two months removed from Africa. I have an idea on where I am going next trip but just not sure when that will be. Probably 3 years from now or so. Going through a divorce right now so I guess it depends on how it all shakes out as to how soon I can go back. Had so much going on during my first trip that I think I can actually enjoy my second trip a lot more. There is no place like Africa. That’s for sure.

Sorry to hear that @Deleted member 40394, what you are going through is not fun. Keep dreaming of Africa, and hopefully that will ease the financial pain of the divorce. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot off my shooting sticks this past weekend. I am two months removed from Africa. I have an idea on where I am going next trip but just not sure when that will be. Probably 3 years from now or so. Going through a divorce right now so I guess it depends on how it all shakes out as to how soon I can go back. Had so much going on during my first trip that I think I can actually enjoy my second trip a lot more. There is no place like Africa. That’s for sure.
Sorry to hear that, hope everything works out in your favor and you can get back soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Safari blues are hitting hard again this year. Need to feel the African sun burning on my skin and the weight of a rifle in my hands. The corporate world can truly be a depressive and stressful place to live.

Safari blues are hitting hard again this year. Need to feel the African sun burning on my skin and the weight of a rifle in my hands. The corporate world can truly be a depressive and stressful place to live.
I think it is a common affliction. Read snd post here on AH amongst friends, keeps folks sane to smell the metaphorical cordite.

Yeah safari blues are no fun, it has been almost 5 years now that I haven’t been able to get back to Africa.

The best thing I have found to get over them is to read about Africa, go to conventions and visit with outfitters, and collect Africa related things. Sure it doesn’t compare to being there but it takes the sting out of not being there a bit.

100%. My mind is always in africa. Much to the chagrin of many of my friends and family.

about 15 years ago my wife made the comment about the clothes i wear (earth tones). She said “you always dress like you are going on Safari.”

I said “yup.”
+1 on wearing safari clothes around house all the time. Drives my wife crazy lol!!! She knows I’ll never change

I’ve had another Africa in the works for all of my Safaris before leaving so when I got home I was just tweaking details, playing with additional target animals, etc. The only downside I’ve found is on each of my trips I’ve managed to add another week to them through the “additional planning”.

4 months out from the 5th Safari and have managed to not extend this one. Instead I’ve been pretty dedicated towards finding/booking an elephant hunt for 2024 or 2025.

Wheels up June 1st! Heading to SA for the first time. Everything is in place. Four months isn’t really long…just seems like it.

I have a couple new double rifles that I am looking forward to developing loads that will match the regulation.

Wheels up June 1st! Heading to SA for the first time. Everything is in place. Four months isn’t really long…just seems like it.
Who are you hunting with? And any particular animal at the top of your list?

Depression is a mere memory now. Hot into planning our next safari for later in the season. The wife and I are watching safari videos now. We’ve been pausing the videos and discussing shot placement and she has me considering another rifle purchase since she seems to have designs on my 375.

@Doug3006 ... We likely leave Dillingham the same day, Alaska a day later. Frankly, spring is always busy at work: 4 months does NOT seem like long. At all.

Here's an idea come over the 11th of February join us on a Dangerous game shoot with BASA and we have a fat BRAAI afterwards.
With that braai plans will be made to go hunting and we will head off respectfully the day after to various loaction and hunt early seaon in thick stuff.

You will need about 20 rounds to complete the shoot of the day.

Invention of teleporter would be ideal now.

Here's an idea come over the 11th of February join us on a Dangerous game shoot with BASA and we have a fat BRAAI afterwards.
With that braai plans will be made to go hunting and we will head off respectfully the day after to various loaction and hunt early seaon in thick stuff.

You will need about 20 rounds to complete the shoot of the day.

Invention of teleporter would be ideal now.
Hello @Frederik,

11th of Februari is very short for me. Especially if I want to travel with rifles.

But I indulged myself and just checked: direct flight Brussels to Jo-Burg, flying out on the 8th, arriving on the 9th around 8 o'clock, then flying back on the 13th in the evening, arriving back home end of day on the 14th, all this for 730 Euro's (would still need to add some extra for the rifle case).

So this should definitely be a great option, going into the future. Doing these mini safaris, just to keep the blues away :D

Do you already have the dates for the next Big Bore Shoots? I'd love to organize it around the shoot, so I can get some pointers from you and the others.

Depression is a mere memory now. Hot into planning our next safari for later in the season. The wife and I are watching safari videos now. We’ve been pausing the videos and discussing shot placement and she has me considering another rifle purchase since she seems to have designs on my 375.
Sounds like you have hit the jackpot with her. Well done!

Hello @Frederik,

11th of Februari is very short for me. Especially if I want to travel with rifles.

But I indulged myself and just checked: direct flight Brussels to Jo-Burg, flying out on the 8th, arriving on the 9th around 8 o'clock, then flying back on the 13th in the evening, arriving back home end of day on the 14th, all this for 730 Euro's (would still need to add some extra for the rifle case).

So this should definitely be a great option, going into the future. Doing these mini safaris, just to keep the blues away :D

Do you already have the dates for the next Big Bore Shoots? I'd love to organize it around the shoot, so I can get some pointers from you and the others.

15th April 2023
20 May 2023

There you go.

Then later in the year:

19 Aug 2023
14 October 2023
25 November 2023

15th April 2023
20 May 2023

There you go.

Then later in the year:

19 Aug 2023
14 October 2023
25 November 2023
I've added all the dates to my calendar. Now the planning stage!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg